Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks again @CaseySJ for building this great thread. I've been rocking this build for almost a year, and been on 10.15, and dared not to touch it since everything worked so perfectly. Surprised how stable it has been. What are the next steps to upgrade to 10.15.6, since most of the guides are for fresh installation, are the steps the same for upgrading, or fresh installation is the only way?

Thanks again @CaseySJ for building this great thread. I've been rocking this build for almost a year, and been on 10.15, and dared not to touch it since everything worked so perfectly. Surprised how stable it has been. What are the next steps to upgrade to 10.15.6, since most of the guides are for fresh installation, are the steps the same for upgrading, or fresh installation is the only way?
Hello @ollyj,

To update from 10.15 to 10.15.6 we should do the following:
  • Make a full bootable backup of 10.15 and test the bootable back to ensure it works.
  • Then set it aside and:
    • Install BIOS F9g from the second red box. When you do this, your MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) will be unlocked by default, which means you can skip any instructions for unlocking MSR 0xE2.
    • Upgrade to 10.15.6 from the third red box.
You'll find all links in the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post #1.

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 3.32.34 AM.png

More than a year using a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus perfectly fine, did you check the firmware version of your units?
Yes, it is the latest Samsung firmware that I downloaded from Samsung's firmware repository

Hi @CaseySJ

I have two issues with flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card.

I have flashed Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1.0 thunderbolt 3.0 with your patched firmware(V1 .bin). on Gigabyte Z390 D motherboard it works well but cant shut down as system keeps restarting. if I remove thunderbolt card then system shuts down without any issues. the card seems working fine without having any issues. the only thing is I have to do warm booting to enable thunderbolt devices.

I have also tested the same flashed card with my Asus X299 TUF mark 2 motherboard. on this motherboard it boots fine system shuts down fine but if I try to connect any thunderbolt 3.0 devices when the system is on then it will freeze. But I also noticed that if I do thunderbolt 3.0 devices connected while system boots then thunderbolt devices detects fine and I can do hot plugging as well, No freeze or hang problems at all. the port 7 is also working fine / populated.

On both above case If I use none flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card then both systems working fine.

Do you have any idea what may the issue behind this?

Thank you

@Ploddles, Its all done already, and as I said above sleep /wake perfectly fine with non flashed thunderbolt 3.0 card. or without flashed Thunderbolt card. So I believe it is something to do with the firmware flashing or some settings.

@CaseySJ

I have a HP notebook Zbook G5 Studio equipped with Titan Ridged chipset. USB-C ports hotplug are working. Without any SSDT injection, I'm able to see the local node of the thunderbolt controller under IOreg. see attached. I have a LG monitor 34bl850 with thunderbolt input and I cannot connect my screen via thunderbolt (tried different platform-id and discrete graphics disabled via bios). However, hotplug of the usb ports on the monittor is working when I plugin the thunderbolt cable. Is there any chance I can modify the rom or ssdt to inject bus driver?

Attached screenshot and thunderbolt roms retrieved from Linux and original rom from HP update. Also, the original thunderbolt SSDT from my laptop.

Attachments

• SSDT-13-HPTBT.aml
    79.2 KB · Views: 51
  • zbook_tb_firmware.zip
    624.4 KB · Views: 44
  • thunderbolt.zip
    206.7 KB · Views: 43
  • ScreenShot.png
    ScreenShot.png
    651.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Hello i hope you are doing well.
So I just bought the Razer Naga Pro 2 which is working during the bios with Bluetooth.

However my Hackintosh just bugged while launching Mail, so I had to restart.
Now it’s constantly freezing, and I don’t have access to internet anymore (thus, WiFi and Ethernet seems to be displayed).
I tried to reboot it several times (even unchecking « not reopen app ») but it’s still doing the same thing, ramming a lot, Freezing, and not having Internet.
Makes me think that it should come from NVram which might be bugged.
Any ideas how to solve this?
I saved a long time ago into carbon clover so this copy is a bit irrelevant. I would like to not got there is possible.

‘thank you

@CaseySJ
Hello i hope you are doing well.
So I just bought the Razer Naga Pro 2 which is working during the bios with Bluetooth.

However my Hackintosh just bugged while launching Mail, so I had to restart.
Now it’s constantly freezing, and I don’t have access to internet anymore (thus, WiFi and Ethernet seems to be displayed).
I tried to reboot it several times (even unchecking « not reopen app ») but it’s still doing the same thing, ramming a lot, Freezing, and not having Internet.
Makes me think that it should come from NVram which might be bugged.
Any ideas how to solve this?
I saved a long time ago into carbon clover so this copy is a bit irrelevant. I would like to not got there is possible.

‘thank you
Please try CMOS Reset. This will require BIOS parameters to be configured once again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). If you're on BIOS F9g then CFG-Lock will be disabled already. But if you're on a different version, it will be necessary to unlock MSR 0xE2 again.

Back