Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

I may be biting off more than I can handle technically with the Gigabyte B550 board based on your comments.

Perhaps another build guide by you? One of the first for AMD builds on TonyMac86?

Or perhaps a new thread covering your progress?

As if you have the time with all the tech support you provide with your Designare builds. :)

Thanks.
Here's the plan for the Gigabyte B550 Vision D with AMD Ryzen 7 3700X...
  • When I received the board yesterday, my first instinctual response was to flash the Thunderbolt controller. On my ASRock X570 Creator, this is nearly impossible to do. The Macronix chip on that board is notoriously difficult. Fortunately, the B550 Vision D has a Winbond chip that was remarkably easy to read and write. I used the US$10 Arcelli CH341a programmer with flashrom running on the Z490 Vision D.
  • Alas, with flashed NVM 56, Thunderbolt devices only work when hot-plugged. However, with a more complex "TbtOnPCH" SSDT, Thunderbolt devices work when connected before boot, but not when hot-plugged. If I cannot find a solution within a day or so, my plan is as follows:
    • First reinstall the original firmware and at least check Thunderbolt hot-plug and pre-boot capability.
    • Also try NVM 50 from Z490 Vision D and NVM 33 from Z390 Designare.
    • Try to modify NVM 56 based on comparison with Apple's own firmware.
  • When the BCM94360NG WiFi/BT M.2 card arrives, I'll tackle sleep/wake issues. The USB port configuration is at least completed, which is not trivial on AMD boards. It requires both (a) SSDT and (b) USBPorts.kext. The SSDT deletes the default XHC0 and PTXH devices, and replaces them with XHC1 and XHC2.
    • This was actually necessary to activate one of the USB 3 ports on the rear IO panel. By default, all ports were working except one. But now all USB ports are operational.
  • I've also created two simple SSDTs:
    • One that hides the on-board Intel WiFi module
    • One that sets NVMe drives to Internal (they appear as external devices by default)
  • This board has an ITE Tech 0x5702 LED controller, which means RGB Fusion 2.0 can be controlled with liquidctl.
  • The system is currently running Big Sur Public Beta 3, but I expect Public Beta 4 early next week.
  • Once the system is a bit more polished I'll create a thread in the User Builds forum. However, if the polishing and fine-tuning takes more time than expected, I'll create a "Work in Progress" thread.

UPDATE:

Original Firmware
Flashed NVM 56/50 Firmware
Flashed NVM 33 (Designare)
USB-C Connected Before Boot
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​
USB-C Hot Plug
YES
No
YES
Thunderbolt Connected on WARM Boot
No
No
No
Thunderbolt Connected on COLD Boot
YES
No
YES
Thunderbolt Hot Plug
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​

So NVM 33 from Designare appears to be the best overall because it provides the same functionality as Original Firmware with the added benefits of Thunderbolt Bus.
  • A large number of Thunderbolt-related parameters are missing from BIOS Setup.
  • DSDT does not have the traditional Thunderbolt-related section. Cannot determine the GPE event for hot plug.
Perhaps a subsequent BIOS update will help...

UPDATE 2: AMD Power Gadget now works in Big Sur thanks to version 0.6.5 of AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext.
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.15.48 AM.png

Last edited:
You don't need Boot Camp to install Windows on a PC. But you do need a partition to install it to. I would use macOS to do the partitioning. You might need to use the installer USB to affect the drive that macOS is installed on. When you install Windows, it might affect your boot loader. You can use EasyUEFI to set the boot loader back to Clover or Open Core.

Boot Camp drivers are useful if you are connecting a Mac keyboard or Mac display (including LG UltraFine 4K and LG UltraFine 5K displays).
thanks, but I'm only interested in bootcamp

thanks, but I'm only interested in bootcamp
Please describe the issue a bit further:
  • Do you already have Windows installed on a separate SSD and you wish to import that into VMWare Fusion in order to run that installation of Windows inside of macOS?
  • Boot Camp is not intended for PC hardware. Boot Camp is intended primarily for running Windows on Apple hardware because:
    • Windows may not have drivers for the specific built-in devices on real Apple Macs.
    • Windows may not be compatible with the specific firmware (BIOS) on real Apple Macs.
    • So Boot Camp provides an "assist" that makes the Apple Mac hardware compatible with Windows.
  • But PC hardware is already compatible with Windows.

If you have several USB 2.0 devices, please see this:
I think I discovered the same solution already, but will double check what I’ve got plugged in where.

Is it worth moving to opencore and/or f9g bios for any practical reason?

Please describe the issue a bit further:
  • Do you already have Windows installed on a separate SSD and you wish to import that into VMWare Fusion in order to run that installation of Windows inside of macOS?
  • Boot Camp is not intended for PC hardware. Boot Camp is intended primarily for running Windows on Apple hardwarebecause:
    • Windows may not have drivers for the specific built-in devices on real Apple Macs.
    • Windows may not be compatible with the specific firmware (BIOS) on real Apple Macs.
    • So Boot Camp provides an "assist" that makes the Apple Mac hardware compatible with Windows.
  • But PC hardware is already compatible with Windows.
I put together a hackintosh for work, since I have Apple computers at home, I like macOS, and I wanted my computer at work to be able to sync with my devices. The question is that I need Windows for my work (specific software), Windows, I can put it on any disk, even on an external one, there are no problems in this, I am not interested in a virtual machine since my specific software will not work on a virtual machine. I need a full-fledged start of the Windows system, but I want to have a full-fledged start of the windows system from mac OS, this can be done by the Parallel desktop with a bootcamp ...

You don't need to actually use Boot Camp to install Windows in order to get Parallels to see the partition and create a “Boot Camp” VM. I have Windows on one nvme drive and 10.15.6 on another and Parallels works just fine.

I think I discovered the same solution already, but will double check what I’ve got plugged in where.

Is it worth moving to opencore and/or f9g bios for any practical reason?
Moving to BIOS F9g is a good idea because CFG-Lock is disabled by default. So one less thing to worry about.

Moving to OpenCore is optional, but will ease future transition to Big Sur.

I put together a hackintosh for work, since I have apple computers at home, I like Osx and I wanted my computer at work to be able to sync with my devices. The question is that I need windows for my work (specific software), Windows, I can put it on any disk, even on an external one, there are no problems in this, I am not interested in a virtual machine since my specific software will not work on a virtual machine. I need a full-fledged start of the windows system, but I want to have a full-fledged start of the windows system from mac OS, this can be done by the parallel desktop with a bootcamp ...
Unfortunately these two statements are mutually exclusive:
  • I am not interested in a virtual machine since my specific software will not work on a virtual machine
  • I want to have a full-fledged start of the windows system from mac OS
If you start Windows through Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion, Windows will run inside a Virtual Machine. It does not matter whether you install Windows through Parallels or Fusion, or whether Windows is already installed on a completely independent disk.

Both Clover and OpenCore allow you to choose which O/S to boot: macOS or Windows. Only one O/S can be the host OS at any given time.

Guys, could you give me a heads up? I want to Update my Hackintosh from 10.15.2 to 10.15.6 and switch to OpenCore and a Dual Boot System. So far so good. Installed WIN on a sep. SSD (CaseySJ Guide), Did the full bootable backup, saved all my precious Data and prepared OC according to the OC Mini-Guide. So I am ready to insert the installer-USB, format and install a fresh system.

BUT. What and when can I do the Unlocking of MSR 0xE2. I am on F8 Bios and have seen there is a community made F9g. Can I use this? Where do I find it, the Tweaktowns-Link ist gone? Or do I do it via OC and Brummbaers Tool? But When in the Process and how? Thats an Information I am not able to extract from all the various posts.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back