Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

So, I've never had a good explanation for the unflashed-yet-extreme functionality of my onboard Thunderbolt Z390 Designare (F9h) with Mojave. I've posted a bit about this in the Great Middle Region of this thread, and there's a kind mention of me in here somewhere by @CaseySJ, but I still have no answers for why I now enjoy full hotplug and UAD hotplug and "coldplug" driver reconnection. The modded @kgp patch works in Clover and in OpenCore.
This reinforces the statement I've made several times that most people do not need to flash their Thunderbolt firmware. Thunderbolt Bus activation is not necessary for the vast majority of Thunderbolt peripherals. And in fact, an unflashed card or motherboard is often more reliable with regard to video output, USB-C devices, and Thunderbolt connectivity.

To determine whether or not to flash the firmware, we have this post:
If you use the devices or features listed here, then it may be worth flashing the firmware -- but be prepared to find some issues and to live with those issues.

I am not sure you are the only one that this works for, some devices do well with just an SSDT other do not H/C/W Plug or otherwise. I am guessing the easiest answer is you have the right devices.

Do you do this with a Hub or directly pulgged?
With this configuration can you get direct connect thunderbolt to thunderbolt Networking?
Do you have a eGPU that you can eject with the icon?
Can you connect to targeted Display/Disk mode?
Can you connect to a Apple Thunderbolt display?

The flashed thunderbolt is just closer to mac implementation. If Hackintosh is striving for as close to the mac as possible the flashed thunderbolt is better. If all you need is hotplug on what you own and the SSDT work then it works for you.

Hi @scottkendall. I don't have a Thunderbolt Display nor a Thunderbolt Dock
I am not sure you are the only one that this works for, some devices do well with just an SSDT other do not H/C/W Plug or otherwise. I am guessing the easiest answer is you have the right devices.

Do you do this with a Hub or directly pulgged?
With this configuration can you get direct connect thunderbolt to thunderbolt Networking?
Do you have a eGPU that you can eject with the icon?
Can you connect to targeted Display/Disk mode?
Can you connect to a Apple Thunderbolt display?

The flashed thunderbolt is just closer to mac implementation. If Hackintosh is striving for as close to the mac as possible the flashed thunderbolt is better. If all you need is hotplug on what you own and the SSDT work then it works for you.

I don't have a Thunderbolt Display, nor an eGPU. I can boot from an external Thunderbolt or Firewire 400 or 800 drive. I did connect a CalDigit TB3 MiniDock (the little one one with the rat-tail TB3 cable, an ethernet port, 2 USB 3 and 2 HDMI ports) and the ethernet port on it connected. For Thunderbolt devices, I have only the Apollo 8 Quad and the Blackmagic Design Multidock 2. So what is strange is that with the Z390 build, the original Titan Ridge card's SSDT didn't "PowerFlipSwap" (reconnect the UAD Thunderbolt driver after power-cycling the UAD Apollo 8. I don't remember what I changed several months ago that allowed it to work ever since then. I may have added the device's own UUID into the SSDT. This was never an issue with the Blackmagic Design Multidock 2, because it doesn't have a power switch.

Can someone look at the aml file from HackinDROM and compare to the one that pastry chef includes in his EFI folder from his golden build Z390M Gaming? If I use the SSDT-DTPG.aml+HackinDROM.aml file, my Apple Thunderbolt Display may recognize the usb hub, FaceTime camera, sound, maybe once in 5 reboots. If I use the one from pastrychef's EFI, it works every time. I am wondering why one works reliably and the other doesn't? Is it related to the RP05 vs RP21? Pastrychef's file(SSDT-Z390-RP05-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml) is 3x the number of lines too. I have a Z390 Gaming M MB with the Titan Ridge 1.0 AIC(flashed using GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin).

Attachments

• SSDT-MR-TR.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 59
  • SSDT-Z390-RP05-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml
    6.2 KB · Views: 55
I don't have a Thunderbolt Display, nor an eGPU. I can boot from an external Thunderbolt or Firewire 400 or 800 drive. I did connect a CalDigit TB3 MiniDock (the little one one with the rat-tail TB3 cable, an ethernet port, 2 USB 3 and 2 HDMI ports) and the ethernet port on it connected. For Thunderbolt devices, I have only the Apollo 8 Quad and the Blackmagic Design Multidock 2. So what is strange is that with the Z390 build, the original Titan Ridge card's SSDT didn't "PowerFlipSwap" (reconnect the UAD Thunderbolt driver after power-cycling the UAD Apollo 8. I don't remember what I changed several months ago that allowed it to work ever since then. I may have added the device's own UUID into the SSDT. This was never an issue with the Blackmagic Design Multidock 2, because it doesn't have a power switch.

I remember reading people talking about the Antelope UAD and how it didn't work because of networking or something. Maybe when you added the UUID you enabled the networking over TB that the UAD might require for the power "I am grabbing at straws here" Did you add a custom DROM? I am not sure what you did to the SSDT but maybe you should send it to Casey and let him look at what you did. I use the one listed on his micro guide for titan ridge with only modified DROM.

I believe my Fenvi FV-T919 is having some really strange performance issues.

Bluetooth audio is seems to be fine if I'm fresh off a reboot and/or resetting NVRAM, but after running for a day or two, there is serious audio dropout and static with my AirPods Pro. I'm sitting about 3 feet from the antennas, so I don't think distance is an issue. And when it happens, the most minor CPU tasks seem to cause the dropout, which is weird (e.g. loading a website, double clicking a file, etc). This happened with two separate sets of AirPods. Unfortunately I don't have another pair of bluetooth headphones to test, but having the same issue on two different sets that work fine with my iPhone & MacBook Pro leads me to believe they are not the problem.

Also, download speeds seem to be severely compromised if I'm ever downloading more than one file at a time. One file downloads fine, and running an internet speed test shows DL speeds of 200mbps which is accurate. But as soon as I try to download anything else, no matter how small the file or how fast I know the source is, everything drops down to about 10kbps and slowly crawls along, or more often just fails altogether.

The antennas are as tight as I can get them. Not sure what else to do.

If you have a Fenvi or other WiFi/BT card, I'm wondering if that is impacting the system. Too many reports recently of issues with some of these cards. So if you have such a card, try removing it to see what happens.

I've got no such card. I've only got a couple HDDs and a Radeon RX580 in there. I mostly use this machine for audio production.

I've got no such card. I've only got a couple HDDs and a Radeon RX580 in there. I mostly use this machine for audio production.
You're not planning to update your macOS to Catalina or make a fresh new full install of Catalina?

I believe my Fenvi FV-T919 is having some really strange performance issues.

Bluetooth audio is seems to be fine if I'm fresh off a reboot and/or resetting NVRAM, but after running for a day or two, there is serious audio dropout and static with my AirPods Pro. I'm sitting about 3 feet from the antennas, so I don't think distance is an issue. And when it happens, the most minor CPU tasks seem to cause the dropout, which is weird (e.g. loading a website, double clicking a file, etc). This happened with two separate sets of AirPods. Unfortunately I don't have another pair of bluetooth headphones to test, but having the same issue on two different sets that work fine with my iPhone & MacBook Pro leads me to believe they are not the problem.

Also, download speeds seem to be severely compromised if I'm ever downloading more than one file at a time. One file downloads fine, and running an internet speed test shows DL speeds of 200mbps which is accurate. But as soon as I try to download anything else, no matter how small the file or how fast I know the source is, everything drops down to about 10kbps and slowly crawls along, or more often just fails altogether.

The antennas are as tight as I can get them. Not sure what else to do.
Please try this:
listen something with your AirPods Pro connected to your Hackintosh and put your hand on your hear. If you lost the sound but the AirPods Pro is still connected do nexts

1) In sound preferences change Input to something else than AirPods Pro.

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 08.47.58.png

2) Change Fenvi Slot

You're not planning to update your macOS to Catalina or make a fresh new full install of Catalina?
It's rather not tbh. I always stay one OS behind to make sure bugs have been ironed out. I remember reading Catalina was quite a pain with pro audio.

Back