Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

has there been any more info regarding inland premium nvmes and USB lockups?

I have had these NVMEs (3 of them) for a while now, so I dont think returning them is an option anymore.
I have issues where my USB ports will all stop working.
Sometimes I go for days without an issue.And of course, we all know how much fun intermittent issues are to troubleshoot.
USB issues may be separate and independent issues. If you're using several USB 2.0 devices, please see this:

If the Inland NVMe drives are working in macOS, you may continue using them unless we find a direct correlation to the USB issues (which is unlikely, but not impossible).

I hate to ask, but @CaseySJ do you have any update on it? Thanks in advance for any hint - appreciated!
Sure, please check/try this:
  • Disable any _INI to XINI renames.
  • Disable any _OSI to XOSI renames.
  • Disable any _RMV to XRMV renames.
  • Perform a cold start with and without Thunderbolt device connected.
  • Check System Information --> Thunderboltand post screenshot each time.
    • The screenshot shows us Link Status of each port -- this is important.

So, @CaseySJ, what am I missing? Any BIOS settings? Drivers?

View attachment 485753

I flashed Winbond chip on my X299X Designare 10G, followed this your post linked below to make Thunderbolt DROM, using Web method, Option 1, and added the generated compiled AML file, and the SSDT-DTPG.aml attached to that message.
I do see all things related to TB. I see the same values in IORegistryExlorer, although at a different path, here:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP05@1C,4/IOPP/UPSB@0/IOPP/DSB0@0/IOPP/NHI0@0/AppleThunderboltHAL/AppleThunderboltNHIType3/IOThunderboltController/IOThunderboltPort@7

I also see TB Ethernet under Network Preferences.

It all looks great but I don't have any TB devices to try :(
That said, I have TB -> HDMI and TB -> DP cables, and some Apple-compatible docking stations that use USB3/TB cables.

But no matter what I plug in into either receptacle, I don't see any changes under TB in System Information.
The status always stays "No device connected."

Your Thunderbolt DROM instructions I used:

Any help appreciated, thank you!
This is actually the correct behavior, namely:
  • Connecting HDMI or DP devices will not change the Status, which will remain "No device connected". This is because video cables/monitors are not Thunderbolt devices.
  • HDMI and DP monitors will work if you change Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007. It will be necessary to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or a USB-C to HDMI cable.
  • When you connect a bona fide Thunderbolt device, then and only then will the Status changed to Connected.

Hello All,

My system has been extremely stable and reliable since I built it almost a year ago now. Just in the past 2 days I have had two odd experiences. Yesterday while on a Zoom call, my system froze. I could not control anything and was forced to power it off then back on again. I am not sure exactly what caused this however I did screenshot the crash report. (Screenshot attached) Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as I am not sure what I am looking at when I read it.

2nd issue is with Carbon Copy Cloner, again I have never had an issue with it and all Clones have been successful. It seems to throw an error with the shell script at the very end. (Screenshot attached)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Other than these two very recent issues, my system has been running brilliantly.
I've been using Zoom 5.2.1 quite successfully. If you're using a WebCam, try connecting it to a black USB 2.0 port. Most WebCams are USB 2.0 devices.
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 4.04.54 AM.png
Regarding Carbon Copy Cloner, please check the bottom part of the file /Users/Shared/EFIClone.log. Feel free to post a copy of that file or just the last few lines.

Thank you.

I flashed my TTR 1.0 with the NVME23 and changed it out. It seems to work better but I still get full freezes every few times I try to turn off the Apollo.

Here is a crash report that is related to the UA Mixer Engine. Is it possible I need to do more SSDT edits?
Is there any option in the UAD software or the menu bar to "Eject" or "Disconnect" the UAD device? From the crash log, it seems that the UAD driver was still trying to communicate with the device. When this crash occurs, does the entire macOS system crash, or only the UAD software?

Thank you.

I flashed my TTR 1.0 with the NVME23 and changed it out. It seems to work better but I still get full freezes every few times I try to turn off the Apollo.

Here is a crash report that is related to the UA Mixer Engine. Is it possible I need to do more SSDT edits?
Is there any option in the UAD software or the menu bar to "Eject" or "Disconnect" the UAD device? From the crash log, it seems that the UAD driver was still trying to communicate with the device. When this crash occurs, does the entire macOS system crash, or only the UAD software?
@egroys,

If this crash occurs only when turning OFF the UAD Apollo, then I think this is a problem that might be easy to live with if no solution is found. Namely, turn off the Apollo after shutting down the Hackintosh.

Here are 2 more suggestions:
  • What happens if you (a) put the Hackintosh to sleep, (b) then turn off the Apollo, then (c) wake up the Hackintosh?
  • You've tried NVM 50 and NVM 23. How about NVM 33 from Designare Z390?

I was starting to go crazy trying to get my UAD Apollo TB1 (hotplug / cold boot) to work with the GC-Alpine Ridge (I made some firmware that didn't help), while it works perfectly on Titan Ridge with the firmware from @ Elias64Fr for the Z390 Designare! Thanks guys ! (If some are interested, I made a firmware NVM39 for the Alpine Ridge.)
@yosoyoco hi! what works with your NVM39 for the Alpine Ridge, with which ssdt & dsdt? could you please elaborate and upload? thanks!

Hello everyone, I hope all is well.

I’ve been using build with Catalina 10.15.4 in a server rack case with a few minor issues. Over the weekend I removed all of the external connections and mounted the case in a new rack. Now after reconnecting, clover never finishes booting.

It goes to the Apple screen, then takes a very long time to fill the status bar then freezes there. It’s the same with recovery and the usb installer I used originally. Any ideas? thanks

Hello everyone, I hope all is well.

I’ve been using build with Catalina 10.15.4 in a server rack case with a few minor issues. Over the weekend I removed all of the external connections and mounted the case in a new rack. Now after reconnecting, clover never finishes booting.

It goes to the Apple screen, then takes a very long time to fill the status bar then freezes there. It’s the same with recovery and the usb installer I used originally. Any ideas? thanks
Please try the following:
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press F11 to clear NVRAM.
  • Then press spacebar to reveal various options. Use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press spacebar again to toggle it on. Then press Esc to return to main menu.
  • Now try to boot macOS.
    • Do you see log message fill up the screen?
    • If so, grab a photo of the screen when the log stops moving.
  • Which version of BIOS are you running? It may be a good idea to upgrade to F9g in which CFG-Lock is disabled by default.

Back