Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What remedial steps have you attempted so far?

Browsing through threads I've checked the following:
  • FixShutdown is checked in Acpi
  • slide=0 is set in Boot options
  • Not using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 as I'm using native NVRAM (from instructions in this thread)
  • Using the config and files from May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip
  • Wake for network access is off
  • Start up automatically after a power failure is off

Open to ideas on other things to try.

Browsing through threads I've checked the following:
  • FixShutdown is checked in Acpi
  • slide=0 is set in Boot options
  • Not using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 as I'm using native NVRAM (from instructions in this thread)
  • Using the config and files from May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip
  • Wake for network access is off
  • Start up automatically after a power failure is off

Open to ideas on other things to try.
Very good. Some other questions/suggestions:
  • Was this system upgraded from Mojave, or was it a fresh Catalina installation?
  • Suggestion 1:
    • You may uncheck Fix Shutdown and also remove slide=0
  • What is the make/model of the RX 5700? Is it made by MSI?
  • Have you tried CMOS Reset (which then requires BIOS to be reconfigured)?
  • Have you tried cold start (shutdown followed by flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds)?
  • What is your firmware (BIOS) version? Is it F9a or one of the beta versions (F9g or F9h)? (I've been on F9g for a while now with no issues.)

soooo, long story short had to rebuild my entire rig, windows and macOS. Anyway trying to put everything back as best I can and going through the guides again, im up to the native nvram. as its written for clover, is there anything I need to do differently running on OC? bios is unlocked already. Using OC 6 per the micro guide ...

another tweaks need to be done?

thanks again

Okay, feel free to try the software-only approach as follows:
  • Flash the original Thunderbolt firmware back to the Winbond chip.
  • Boot the system to ensure that Thunderbolt is back to 'normal' behavior.
  • Then replace previous Thunderbolt SSDT with attached version.
  • Also enable the two ACPI renames shown in the screenshot:
    View attachment 485402
However, please note:
  • This SSDT may not work because some assumptions were made.
  • If you provide a copy of the DSDT.aml (maciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT) I can check/update the SSDT.

Okay, I tried the software-only approach - the SSDT seemed loaded fine with the two patches mentioned above, and I can confirm that it is loaded correctly from boot.log.
  • Flashed the original firmware, confirmed that TB3 works under windows, and put the SSDT as mentioned.
  • Clear NVRAM, boot macOS with TB3 dock connected --> Device working, no device tree - "no drivers are loaded". Tried to unplug, but the system cannot detect the disconnection of my external display. Replug --> dock didn't work.
  • Boot macOS without TB3 dock connected --> TB3 controller was not powered: "no hardware was found" and cannot observe any device under RP15 -> IOPP.

Another workaround for TB3 in DSDT: check `SSDT-XOSI.dsl` (code from DELL dsdt for some renaming stuff) - there are some lines of code about TB3 controller in `_SB.PCI0._INI`:
Code:
// do something with TB3 port when
            If ((TBTS == One))
            {
                Acquire (OSUM, 0xFFFF)
                P8XH (Zero, 0x51)
                \_GPE.TINI (TBSE, Zero)
                Release (OSUM)
                Signal (WFEV)
            }

I commented out this block and booted my laptop with TB3 dock connected, and found a thunderbolt bus under system information! However, hot-plugging still didn't work.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 12.33.25 PM.png

Hope this helps and thank you so much for investigating this issue!

(Oops, I forgot to attach these IOReg dumps; DSDT was dumped from windows, so it's the vanilla one)

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    150 KB · Views: 55
  • software-only-after-detached.ioreg
    11.9 MB · Views: 51
  • software-only-tb3-attached.ioreg
    12.6 MB · Views: 49
hey you smart people

I just got an Titan Ridge card (rev.1.00) and flashed it, all ent fine.
I put in the card in my ASRock Z370 fatality professional I7 (way to many words... and I think there is somewhere Gaming in too).
I also have the ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC but with the lack of modified firmware (an I have no idea what to modify) I put in this Titan Ridge card. I checked before flashing if it works under windows which it did (connected only the header connection because I am going connecting an audio interface which has it's own power).
So i flashed it, added the SSDT-DTPG and made a SSDT DROM with the automated tool...
with these settings:

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-23 om 23.52.44.png

I looked up the root path with kroeg some while ago, with earlier attempts....
Well it now shows up under Thunderbolt in the system information.
Weird.... not 40Gb/s but 20Gbp/s x2
Next... when connecting my device which is an Antelope Audio Orion Studio it shows 10Gb/s

And the device is not found, I know it uses local node but this is not working.
To get the Antelope showing up I needed to boot via my old Clover boot that I have on another partition just in case I have trouble with OpenCore.
On an OpenCore boot it shows up with 20Gb/s 2x but it does not see the Orion Studio Synergy Core (which is TB3).

So on clover it sees the Antelope but the macOS can not play over it and also the Antelope setup program and control panel don't see the unit.
I have a long way to go... I have the strange feeling that the best way is to use the ASRock card.
But oke i am closer with the Titan Ridge card... I don't care if I have to use OpenCore or Clover

I don't use DSDT's... 2 reasons, I don't understand how to and what to change... and 2 some people here and on other places were so kind to make an DSDT patch for my clover, but I found to have a slower machine and more hangs and so it gave more trouble than I would like to have.

Last edited:
Hi I'm on the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.6, everything works great. Recently I bought iPad pro 11 inch 2020, I am trying mirror it through quick time player, but the macOS can't find it (as the picture shows, it can see my ipad air 2 and also iphone 6), sidecar works, the usb-c cable with the ipad pro 11 charges when connect to the computer for both ports, is anything I'm missed?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 20.48.55.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 20.48.55.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 51
Hi I'm on the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.6, everything works great. Recently I bought iPad pro 11 inch 2020, I am trying mirror it through quick time player, but the macOS can't find it (as the picture shows, it can see my ipad air 2 and also iphone 6), sidecar works, the usb-c cable with the ipad pro 11 charges when connect to the computer for both ports, is anything I'm missed?
IPad Pro comes with a USB-C cable that only supports USB 2.0. A note at the top half of the Catalina mini guide states that USB 2 protocol over USB-C will not work because those ports have been intentionally disabled. Please use a USB-C cable that is explicitly rated for USB 3. If you have a link to such a cable and would like us to verify, simply post the link.

IPad Pro comes with a USB-C cable that only supports USB 2.0. A note at the top half of the Catalina mini guide states that USB 2 protocol over USB-C will not work because those ports have been intentionally disabled. Please use a USB-C cable that is explicitly rated for USB 3. If you have a link to such a cable and would like us to verify, simply post the link.
Thank you to clarify. I would not bother to look at up cables since it is not necessary for me. Good night.

Hi @CaseySJ ,
the flashed z390 TB controller works really great , but if I add a flashed GC-Alpine Ridge Card with correct bus Id's and ports numbers, I loose the fonctionnality of the z390 controller, and it gives me 0xe00002eb for the ports link states.. It seems that the ThunderboltConfig data is very important to mix different controllers. Do you have any idea of what I can test ?

EDIT: I managed to get all my ports working with these TBConfig:

TR : <00 02 00 00 02 00 05 03 01 00 04 00 05 03 02 00 03 00 05 03 01 00 03 00 03 03 02 00 01 00 02 00>
AR : <01 02 01 00 02 00 05 03 01 00 04 00 05 03 02 00 03 00 05 03 01 00 01 00 03 03 02 00 03 00 04 00>

EDIT2: it does not work on cold boot...

To get my TB audio interfaces, I have to boot OS X, turn on my interfaces, and reboot... (no hotplug on cold boot)

Last edited:
The new HackinDROM is ready, Im very proud and exited about this version!! Im making some final touches in the code and ill publish it today, with a video demonstration!

Back