Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey and all contributors,

Thank you so much for your wonderful work that sheds light on the resolution of Thunderbolt issues!

Recently, I tried to adapt your approach to my laptop, XPS 15 9560, but had difficulties fixing the Thunderbolt bus. I would like to discuss it here in case you have anything to comment on.
  • First, the Tthunderbolt controller is Alpine Ridge, and the device name is shown as Thunderbolt 3 (1575) in Windows. My Thunderbolt dock works if connected before booting into macOS, and under system information -> Thunderbolt, it said that either no hardware found or no drivers are loaded.
  • I tried and modified osy's Thunderbolt reset kext and his SSDTs (replacing the PCI name and level trigger to the correct ones), but the best I can achieve is partial hot-plug: the dock fully works when the first time it connects, but after hot-plugging only the DisplayPort part works.
  • Then I found this thread: I followed osy's guide patching NVM, dumped the controller's firmware, and did patching on it. Next, I created an SSDT with the Web GUI Method in this post (X1's SSDT has chosen) and loaded into OpenCore, but the system continues to complain that no drivers are loaded, and the hot-plugging is still partially working.
  • I did the rename patches and analyzed the boot log -- all SSDT applied above should be correctly loaded.
Questions:
  1. I found a strange thing: after patching my NVM firmware, my TB3 dock still works under Windows -- but osy mentioned that the controller should be in a **safe mode** and only usb-c devices would work. Is this an expected behavior? Otherwise, should I explore more on firmware patching?
  2. If you believe I could continue working on this issue, would you please clarify if your patching approach is the same with osy's one?
  3. I saw you mentioned that firmware patching cannot be applied if OS X complains that no drivers are loaded. Does it mean that I cannot make the TB controller work on my laptop?

I attached the following stuff here:
  • IOreg dumps after booting, unplugging, and re-plugging my TB3 dock.
  • My TB3 controller dumped from the WINBOND chip and after my patching, with the Apple TB3 firmware used.
  • My OpenCore configuration.
  • Screenshots of my PCI devices under system informations.
View attachment 485238
View attachment 485239

I appreciate any hint you could give. Thank you again for your time!
Hello @mistw,

Please try the following:
  • In the attached ZIP are two variations of the Dell 9560 Thunderbolt Firmware:
    • MOD-1
    • MOD-2
  • Your modifications to the firmware did not work because you modified the Inactive partition. In your particular firmware file, the Active partition is at 0x82000 instead of 0x4000.
  • Please flash MOD-1 first and check IOReg --> RP15 and System Information --> Thunderbolt to see whether Thunderbolt Bus has been activated.
  • Also use the attached Thunderbolt SSDT (SSDT-TB3-RP15-DELL-9560.aml) and disable your current Thunderbolt SSDT (SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml).
    • This SSDT includes a proper DROM with unique ID and Thunderbolt Switch 5 enabled.
    • However, the original DROM also includes Switches 3 and 4 that we've not encountered before. So no change was made there.
  • In your config.plist, disable the two items shown:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 5.40.21 PM.png
  • Remember to flash the Winbond chip carefully to avoid dislodging nearby surface mount components.
  • If MOD-1 firmware does not seem to work properly, then try MOD-2.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Attachments

• Dell-9560-Mod1-Mod2-TB3-FW.zip
    396.8 KB · Views: 64
  • SSDT-TB3-RP15-DELL-9560.aml
    2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Have you tried the latest MonitorControl from GitHub? (It does not work on my AOC Agon, but may work on other monitors.)

View attachment 485137

Hi All,

This worked :) I can now use the volume keys on my keyboard to adjust my screen volume. I won't use the Brightness control as I already have the Brightness Control using F1 & F2 Keys by Wern

It is better to work on Gigabyte RGB Fusion first because the driver already exists and it may require just a little bit of work to support the AORUS Xtreme.

ThermalTake Riing support will need a brand new driver.

No worries at all. One fix at a time :) Just getting a little excited sorry LOL

hey Casey, getting back in the rhythm of things here again since getting the rig going. anyway I installed Big Sur on an external drive and copied my EFI folder over and got it up and running. so far so good. but as I said, a lot has changed since I've been away.

what tweaks from page 1 should be done now? :
radeon boost
usb (says optional)
would love to get the native wifi and bluetooth working but directions are for clover. can they be used in OC? what paths should they be in?
I also see drivers (from the bluetooth micro guide) for cases. I don't have a fractal, but what do these do?
am I missing anything?

if I can get this drive working, I may just blow away Catalina and just use BS. with a premade EFI folder the install should be pretty easy
Big Sur is still in early beta and there are still several issues. It should not be used as the main system. After copying the EFI folder across to the Big Sur drive, that's all that is necessary. We should definitely not use the itlwm, AppleIntelBluetooth, or AppleIntelWiFi kexts because the kext architecture has changed. Several commercial applications are also crashing on start. There's still a fair bit of work that both (a) Apple and (b) independent software developers need to do to prepare for the coming official release.

No worries at all. One fix at a time :) Just getting a little excited sorry LOL
I like your enthusiasm, but yes, let's get the easier thing done first. Once you've installed Windows and WireShark, I can provide instructions for the next step.

EDIT: Might as well show you the next steps... :) (ignore the part about installing Windows version of liquidctl)

Welp, got too big for my britches I guess. I shut down and removed my external drive. now only my Catalina drive is seen. Windows option is gone. I recopied the rEFI folder over from my USB but no go. How do I remap my Windows drive in OpenCore?

Hello @mistw,

Please try the following:
  • In the attached ZIP are two variations of the Dell 9560 Thunderbolt Firmware:
    • MOD-1
    • MOD-2
  • Your modifications to the firmware did not work because you modified the Inactive partition. In your particular firmware file, the Active partition is at 0x82000 instead of 0x4000.
  • Please flash MOD-1 first and check IOReg --> RP15 and System Information --> Thunderbolt to see whether Thunderbolt Bus has been activated.
  • Also use the attached Thunderbolt SSDT (SSDT-TB3-RP15-DELL-9560.aml) and disable your current Thunderbolt SSDT (SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml).
    • This SSDT includes a proper DROM with unique ID and Thunderbolt Switch 5 enabled.
    • However, the original DROM also includes Switches 3 and 4 that we've not encountered before. So no change was made there.
  • In your config.plist, disable the two items shown:
    View attachment 485246
  • Remember to flash the Winbond chip carefully to avoid dislodging nearby surface mount components.
  • If MOD-1 firmware does not seem to work properly, then try MOD-2.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thank you so much for pointing out those pitfalls I made during testing!
I tried both of these firmware but failed observing the difference between them. Specifically,
  1. Disabled hotpatches, replaced SSDTs, and checked that all SSDTs are correctly loaded.
  2. I flushed Mod-1, cleared NVRAM, and rebuilt the kext cache.
  3. Boot into macOS with TB3 dock connected -> it didn't work at all despite my laptop was charging; reconnect it -> nothing happened.
  4. Boot into macOS without TB3 dock connected -> similarly not working; connect it -> nothing happened.
  5. Then, I flushed the second firmware, cleared NVRAM, rebuilt kextcache etc..
  6. Nothing changed. Basically I got the same result as in step 3/4.
I can see a thunderbolt bus in system information as the screenshot shows below:

(mod-1)
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 7.48.02 PM.png

(mod-2)
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.04.26 PM.png

Occasionally, when I switch to the thunderbolt tab in system information, it freezes with the following interface; several seconds later, a different thunderbolt bus w/o port appears:
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.09.40 PM.png

bus-if-connected.png

It looks great under PCI tab -- the thunderbolt controller is loaded and functioned.
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 8.04.35 PM.png

However, in IORegExplorer I cannot spot any difference before/after the TB3 device is connected. I will attach all IOReg dumps here.

Thanks,
mistw

Attachments

• Mod-1-device-preboot.ioreg
    10.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Mod-1-no-device.ioreg
    10.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Mod-2-device-preboot.ioreg
    11.9 MB · Views: 51
  • Mod-2-no-device.ioreg
    8.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
@joevt, Have you seen these posts?

Correct. But when we flash the firmware, the controller operates in non-ICM mode and unhides itself. Moreover, even if the firmware is not flashed, we can use an SSDT to unhide the controller and enable Thunderbolt Bus. We have a repository of such SSDTs located here.
I am wondering if these cards had 3.3V on pin 3 before or after flashing them? My cards do not (revision 1.0 GC-ALPINE RIDGE). I have not flashed my cards.

Hey Casey,

Its stated in post Repository of Thunderbolt Bus Activation SSDTs that we can activate the GPIO Force Power with grubshell, it would be cool if that "How to" is also linked to that post, no?

The option without flashing to modded Bios F22i that is.

Thanks!

ok, really need some guidance. after installing Big Sur (external usb drive) I removed it to see if everything would be like pre install. I.E. open core booting to Catalina and windows 10. I was able to see Catalina in the menu but 10 was gone. after a couple of reboots I cleared the nvram. this made a huge mess somehow.

now, not only do I only see the Catalina install, it doesn't even work. looking in the bios, I no longer see my UEFI versions of my evo drives. Well I do see 1 but not sure which it is. opencore is listed in the boot menu as well? not sure that this is correct.

also, I did try to to a fresh install just to see if I can get to a point to see my drives. All installers stop at the apple screen (no progress bar)

I reset bios to optimize defaults, but still nothing. anyway not sure what happened, but something low level occurred and before I take the last option of clearing cmos, im wondering if there's any other steps. As I said I would really like to keep my windows drive functioning.

Back