Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I know you discouraged me to « transplant » my working SSD Mojave 10.14.6 (Dell Optiplex 7020 old DAW) but it worked...

To resume, a big thank you for you Casey and all the people in this thread!

Patrice

Hello, Patrice. Great to see your transplanting process worked. Transplanting a working MacOS installation from one system to another system is what I would have done in your position also.

When I decided to setup a Catalina 10.15.6 installation on my Z390 system, I did not try to directly install Catalina on it, but instead install using a blank hard disk on an old system using a B75 motherboard where the installation process went smoothly (using a USB stick created by Unibeast), and once I got it booting and working on the old system, I took out the hard disk and attempted to boot it on my main system using a USB stick. I adjusted config.plist and added/deleted kexts and drivers as necessary on the stick until I got it booting Catalina, then cloned Catalina onto the NVMe SSD in the main system.

In fact I did similarly for the older MacOS versions from Sierra onwards. I installed once and then cloned the working installation to my other systems.

Now I have gotten MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.6 (with Supplemental Update) on my main system and my Z370 Coffee Lake system through this process of "install once, clone many".

Thanks @Jamesbond007 , it's not the first time I do it neither (cloning, transplant). There was a little tiny detail remaining and I cured it: wrong CPU identification in "About this Mac". It was i9 but I found online how to assign 0x0705 (i7) as CPU Type in Clover config.

BTW, iTunes Movies are playing fine (DRM ok) without anything involved, except iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

I'll put it tomorrow or Sunday where it belongs, in the Home Studio. I have to clean things a bit before...

Thanks @Jamesbond007 , it's not the first time I do it neither (cloning, transplant). There was a little tiny detail remaining and I cured it: wrong CPU identification in "About this Mac". It was i9 but I found online how to assign 0x0705 (i7) as CPU Type in Clover config.

Interesting. On my own system Mojave says I have an i7 (correct) but Catalina says I have an i9 (wrong). Sierra and High Sierra label the CPU "unknown", as 9th generation Intel CPUs are not supported by them.

A few... ahem... interesting observations:

1- When I plug the power cord in the PSU (or toggle the on/off switch of the PSU when the power cord is connected), the LEDS on the Designare lights up white, not the usual blue tint. Once it’s started after that, it behaves ok...;

2- If the computer sleeps, only on the MacOS side, and then I trigger shutdown, the LEDS on the MB stays on (blue tint). Tried the same in Windows 10 (sleep, wake, then shutdown) and the LEDS shut off as expected?. If I start MacOS and there is no sleep/wake cycle, the MB LEDS goes off completely (normal behavior) at shutdown. And yes, before you ask me, when the MB LEDS stays lit, the PSU is off as I hear it clicking...

3- If ErP is enabled in BIOS, the computer boots two times: I hear the PSU clicking once, one red LED goes on then PSU clicks again (restart) and proceed to the 4 red LEDS cycle then boots normally to Clover. Same behavior in Windows 10 or Mojave BTW.

Not a big deal as I do not shutdown completely that often but weird behaviors to say the least!

For number 1, no clues.
For number 2, maybe something related to a setting in the config.plist (ACPI section 1 or 2, namely « Fix Shutdown » maybe?) or using OCQuircks V4, what do you think?
For number 3, no idea neither...

Also, maybe related to the fact that this a Beta BIOS? PSU is an EVGA Supernova 650 P2.

Thanks,

Patrice

I need your help guys

Again about my system freezes

Changing Fenvi from PCIEX1_2 to PCIEX4 helped me to have some stability with Bluetooth.
But the problem isn't Fenvi, I found the problem!

Im using OC 0.6.0.

What I tried today (Fenvi completely removed from the board) but the system still freezes:

• Explain to the policeman that im not the cyber-criminal that he's searching for
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Catalina
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Big Sur
  • XMP Profile 1
  • XMP disabled
  • NVMe.kext ON and OFF

with NVMe still on board:
Booted Catalina, and Big Sur PB installed on USB HDD, no freeze
Fresh new install of Big Sur on a SATA HDD, no freeze

So... The problem is my Samsung 970 EVO Plus (with the latest firmware).
Any solution? any suggestion?
I had a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, which after updating the firmware on it when I bought it early last year to get it to work with the Mac, worked great until I gave it away a few weeks ago. Not sure if you've tried already, but I would reformat it and clean install it again. Might also check it in Windows with the Samsung magician software (I think that's what its called) to make sure it sees no problems with it if you haven't already. Incidentally, I never used the NVMe.kext with it while I had the drive and it worked perfectly for over a year.

A few... ahem... interesting observations:

1- When I plug the power cord in the PSU (or toggle the on/off switch of the PSU when the power cord is connected), the LEDS on the Designare lights up white, not the usual blue tint. Once it’s started after that, it behaves ok...;

2- If the computer sleeps, only on the MacOS side, and then I trigger shutdown, the LEDS on the MB stays on (blue tint). Tried the same in Windows 10 (sleep, wake, then shutdown) and the LEDS shut off as expected?. If I start MacOS and there is no sleep/wake cycle, the MB LEDS goes off completely (normal behavior) at shutdown. And yes, before you ask me, when the MB LEDS stays lit, the PSU is off as I hear it clicking...

3- If ErP is enabled in BIOS, the computer boots two times: I hear the PSU clicking once, one red LED goes on then PSU clicks again (restart) and proceed to the 4 red LEDS cycle then boots normally to Clover. Same behavior in Windows 10 or Mojave BTW.

Not a big deal as I do not shutdown completely that often but weird behaviors to say the least!

For number 1, no clues.
For number 2, maybe something related to a setting in the config.plist (ACPI section 1 or 2, namely « Fix Shutdown » maybe?) or using OCQuircks V4, what do you think?
For number 3, no idea neither...

Also, maybe related to the fact that this a Beta BIOS? PSU is an EVGA Supernova 650 P2.

Thanks,

Patrice
Unchecked « Fix Shutdown » in ACPI and that was it for number 2...

I had a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, which after updating the firmware on it when I bought it early last year to get it to work with the Mac, worked great until I gave it away a few weeks ago. Not sure if you've tried already, but I would reformat it and clean install it again. Might also check it in Windows with the Samsung magician software (I think that's what its called) to make sure it sees no problems with it if you haven't already. Incidentally, I never used the NVMe.kext with it while I had the drive and it worked perfectly for over a year.

Hello Sir,
Thank you for the answer

What ill do before reflash and install a new macOS, is install Windows 10 on that NVMe and see if it freezes there too or not! Also use Magician Sofware and try detect if there's an error.

The Pomona 5250 has a narrower nose and stem, which allows it to be used in tighter spaces. If you're flashing a motherboard that is already installed and the Thunderbolt firmware chip is accessible, but a bit close to an obstruction, then the Pomona makes more sense. Additionally, because of the narrower nose and more compact overall footprint, it's less likely to damage or dislodge nearly surface mount devices. However, the Pomona 5250 does not grip as tightly as the low-cost clip, and may require some support if connecting to a vertically-oriented motherboard.

How did you guys hook up to the pins of the low cost clip? I thought I could use dupont wires, but the pins on the clip are too closely spaced. It didn't come with a ribbon connector. I ordered this as a backup option to try out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8S8V4H/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I can either just use the connector and the board it comes with to hook my dupont wires into, or just try to use the programmer instead of the raspberry pi.

@CaseySJ Everything is working fine except for the wifi. Can't seem to get it to turn on. I have the Fenvi HB1200 card you suggested. I know it worked on my other build but it won't work in 10.15.6... i suspect it works in 10.15.5... Anything you suggest me looking into?

Back