Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Okay let's try one more thing:
  • Open Terminal in Catalina and type:
Code:
sudo mount -uw /
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  • Reboot.
The first command adds "write" permission to the System volume and should allow the second command to work.

That actually work, and I'm writing this right now having booted from OpenCore. Tomorrow I'll test the monitor on HDMI again. I need a new power cord for that.

thanks, its not easy to see with photo but I managed. You can see the text is very blurry, has almost like a ghost behind the writing, and is almost lost in the colours.. It is not crisp..
The problem doesnt show up as screen shot, as its a problem with the output.
The screen shot appears to be of a non-HiDPI/retina mode (a low resolution mode). What resolution are you using? Whatever it is, it shouldn't be a problem.

It looks like when you plug your laptop onto your TV and its not crisp and clean especially the text.
I tried making the text larger but that doesnt fix the underlying problem. its running at the correct resolution.
Is anyone else running a 4k crisp?
The photo is showing fringe colors (green and purple). Does the display's on screen menu show if you're using YCBCr or RGB? I don't think that should be a problem because you said you tried DisplayPort and HDMI. DisplayPort doesn't usually use YCbCr. Also, the text appears to be gray scale, so chroma subsampling (4:2:0) shouldn't have a problem.

Maybe fringe colors is caused by certain font smoothing algorithms, but I would expect that to show up in the screenshot and I don't think macOS uses sub pixel text smoothing anymore.

Does the display have sharpness controls, or overdrive controls, or other picture controls? This might not be the issue since you say it works better in Windows?

Holy COW IT WORKS!! It works perfectly! UAD Apollo 16 mkii x2 daisy chained and 99.999% functional, WooHoo!!!!!!!:D:headbang:

Can switch sample rates on the fly without total audio destruction, everything configurable and recognized like it would be on a real Mac!

I am floored. Thought it was still broken earlier, but just needed a hardware reset on the UAD side and a clean boot(no audio apps open on startup, to “grab” core audio or the drivers attention) and BAM, full on thunderbolty latency free hidef audio awesomeness on 32 physical channels!

Thanks again @CaseySJ for your technical prowess, and thorough instruction methods, you are an absolute sage. I owe you like so many beers....

@smashdownbabylon I am desperately need of this firmware flash but am pretty scared of doing it. There isn’t a chance you are in LA?

Last edited:
Your idea of installing Windows now makes sense. It can help determine whether or not the GPU is okay.
Think I've resolved this. I swapped GPU's with a friend who had an identical card but by MSI, and who's also running OC 0.6.0. He had no issues using my card with his ASUS H110M, and I seem to have no issues running his MSI on my Designare Z390. So I'm thinking that specific Biostar Gaming RX 560 4GB is incompatible with the Designare. Just to save anyone else the headache!

Now onto Thunderbolt...

I discourage transplanting old SSDs because they can cause unexpected issues that we may not be able to help you with. But you're welcome to try.

I don't recall "SuperIO" being present in any version of the Designare BIOS. F9g is a good one to use; CFG-Lock is disabled by default.

Good luck with macOS installation!
I know you discouraged me to « transplant » my working SSD Mojave 10.14.6 (Dell Optiplex 7020 old DAW) but it worked...

Everything works so far:
- Sleep;
- CPU power management;
- NVRAM, iMessage;
- audio;
- the two Ethernet ports (I won’t use any WiFi);
- Thunderbolt, at least the USB C 3.2 part, tested with my Samsung T5;
- USB ports, I used the provided USBPorts.kext and modified it with my chosen SMBIOS (iMacPro 1,1).

I had to deauthorize a bunch of software prior to the operation: Paragon NTFS, CDock and a lot of audio software and plugins.

I‘ve simply modified the content of the EFI, following almost to the letter the config.plist mods in the first post. I kept a couple of kexts (AppleALC, Lilu, FakeSMC) without replacing them. The OCQuircks kexts v4 did the job, thanks a bunch! Also stayed with Clover 5099.

As GPU, I bought an ASUS Strix EVO OC 4GB for cheap: fans aren’t running until temperature rises to 55 Celsius degrees and this card doesn’t need any power from my power supply. For the moment, I inject ATI and ACRE FB with Clover. I also had to add the AGDP patch to use my two monitors. It’s reported as Radeon Pro 555 by MacOS, interesting!

What’s remaining:

- Finalyzing the Windows 10 SSD transition;
- Connecting my two others data HDD’s (mechanical);
- Properly tying and hiding the cables and adding back the two side panels;
- Verifying that iTunes Movies that I have bought are functional once I reauthorize the computer (should be ok me think as I use iMacPro SMBIOS);
- Connecting all remaining USB devices. All USB2 things will connect to my Amazon Basics powered USB2 hub (this one connected to the USB2 only ports on the Designare). Then, my Lacie USB3 and my Seagate externals HDD’s. My Focusrite 18i20 2nd Gen will be connected to the other remaining USB2 port awaiting the arrival of my Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt AI...

This machine is whisper quiet (all fans set to « silent » in the BIOS) even without the side panels. CPU temp is around 30 Celsius degrees idle...

To resume, a big thank you for you Casey and all the people in this thread!

Patrice

@brousseau6933,

You visited this forum early and did a fair amount of research. It clearly shows. Well done.

@brousseau6933,

You visited this forum early and did a fair amount of research. It clearly shows. Well done.
BTW, special thanks to @FormerUser-594785 , @ripe_md . The first for the USBPorts kext and the second for the Define R6 USB files.

Also thanks to all guys and gals with whom I exchanged about the dreaded USB freeze bug and possible solutions. Too soon for me to say that my USB stack is bug free but so far, so good.

Patrice

Back