Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ is it normal for thunderbolt NVM from same boards to be different?
After I dumped my board NVM and compared it to the patched one I found a lot of bytes changed. Would it be better to patch the dumped NVM or just patch the one posted here?
I have attached my dump. SHA 3e0184a538b6ad7323a8f6b536524becb8a89f6d

Attachments

• designare.zip
    267.5 KB · Views: 78
@CaseySJ is it normal for thunderbolt NVM from same boards to be different?
After I dumped my board NVM and compared it to the patched one I found a lot of bytes changed. Would it be better to patch the dumped NVM or just patch the one posted here?
I have attached my dump. SHA 3e0184a538b6ad7323a8f6b536524becb8a89f6d
Good question. The answer, fortunately, is yes. It is normal for different motherboards with the same version of firmware to have different checksums. When we examine the full chip dump, we see that the differences are typically in the scratch areas of the active and inactive partitions.

Your extracted firmware looks perfectly fine. As long as the same physical chip is read multiple times and the checksums of those files are identical, then all is good.

Good question. The answer, fortunately, is yes. It is normal for different motherboards with the same version of firmware to have different checksums. When we examine the full chip dump, we see that the differences are typically in the scratch areas of the active and inactive partitions.
I examined the hex differences but couldn't find anything meaningful to me. I will just flash designare_z390_tb3_rom_1-Elias64Fr-Mod.bin for now. That's the latest right?

I examined the hex differences but couldn't find anything meaningful to me. I will just flash designare_z390_tb3_rom_1-Elias64Fr-Mod.bin for now. That's the latest right?
That is the latest. You may also try Elias’ NVM50 which is just newer but doesn’t offer any performance or functional benefits that we can observe.

That is the latest. You may also try Elias’ NVM50 which is just newer but doesn’t offer any performance or functional benefits that we can observe.
I wanted to do that, but decided against it. If there's no difference then it's better to use the one meant for it, at least QA was done with that version at Gigabyte.
It's too much work to remove the motherboard from the case so better play it safe :D
IMG_9700.jpegIMG_9702.jpegIMG_9703.jpeg

@StefanAM kool, thanks. :) so i gonna reflash the original firmware to the alpine ridge, change _E17 to XE17 and RP21 to RP05 (Z370).
do you have the THB_C cable normally connected to the board without jumping any pins?
thnks!

The ssdt is for z390 aorus master last bottom slot. Don't know if "change _E17 to XE17" work for you. Better ask Casey, according with your DSDT. Yes, I use stock flash and it works like a dream. Also in another OS's. And yes I have cable connected to the board. You need to change first 8 bits of DROM because I set 00 to all ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1630#post-2087139 ). Good luck!

Last edited:
Is the deed done? Smooth sailing?
Yeah, finally!
It's running without SSDT or patches at the moment, I will generate them tomorrow since I will mainly use thunderbolt networking.
I used Raspberry Pi 4, and the organizer clip. Attached the clip, powered the pi and the computer power supply, then dumping/flashing was straightforward after this without any issues.
Thank you for the useful mini guides and thanks to everyone who contributed to this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.36.04 AM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.36.04 AM copy.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 85
Yeah, finally!
It's running without SSDT or patches at the moment, I will generate them tomorrow since I will mainly use thunderbolt networking.
I used Raspberry Pi 4, and the organizer clip. Attached the clip, powered the pi and the computer power supply, then dumping/flashing was straightforward after this without any issues.
Thank you for the useful mini guides and thanks to everyone who contributed to this.
Glad to hear it!! The SSDT procedure has been greatly simplified thanks to @Inqnuam's website:

Back