Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Although Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 lists all of the necessary guides, I have not created a single consolidated guide that covers all steps from A to Z in one post. This is intentional. It's meant to be somewhat discouraging. Flashing the controller can damage the board if we're not extremely careful in attaching and detaching the SOIC clip. It requires excellent near-sighted vision and steady hands. But the procedure, once applied successfully to the on-board controller, produces better results than any PCIe add-in-card.

I figured that it was intentionally left that way, I know you mention multiple times it is not a process that is for beginners. That's primarily why I have left it alone, although I have excellent vision what I don't have is a beyond steady hand although I'm sure I could manage I rather not risk it. Let me ask you though @CaseySJ what does flashing this firmware on the onboard chip allow us to do? I've never actually seen what it allows indifference.

Several thoughts / suggestions:
  • This suggests that macOS might have become corrupted -- i.e. one file or .plist in the "system" folder might have been accidentally damaged, whether due to hard reboot, forced power shutdown, misbehaving application or drivers, etc.
  • Step 1:
    • Boot from your backup disk and see whether the system is stable.
    • If it's stable and the backup is not too old, try recovering from the backup (i.e. clone the backup back to the main disk).
      • As you may know from reading the first part of Going the Extra Mile in Post #1, I separate my Home folder from the main system disk. This allows me to backup and restore just the System folder. It has helped on numerous occasions to fix these kinds of macOS anomalies.
  • Step 2:
    • This is a more drastic step.
    • If the backup also suffers from this problem, then install macOS from scratch on a spare SSD -- a cheap SATA SSD attached to an external USB 3 enclosure. When installation is complete, do not install any of your third-party applications -- only use the apps that come bundled with macOS.
    • Then check whether system is stable. If so, start installing your apps one by one until the problem resurfaces -- or hopefully the problem will not resurface at all. In this latter case (if problem does not resurface) then you'll have to continue installing your apps on the new disk and then make it the primary one by cloning it to the main SSD.

This is from quite a while ago, but I finally got around to completely re-installing Mojave from scratch, and the problem persists. Any other ideas? Maybe I should just finally update to Catalina and see if it happens there...

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 93
hello casey, I think I have tried each one of them, the problem is when I enable force power giop. The only way I could make it work, was connecting a device (iphone with usb c cable) I still do not have any thunderbolt 3 device, I am waiting for my apollo x4 to arrive

@JoanSilva17 @CaseySJ

I don't have a solution for JoanSilva17's problems, but let me add my experience with a similar MB -- a Z390 Aorus Pro (Not WiFi), and a self-flashed Titan Ridge v1 add in card.

In the BIOS version F11 for my MB in settings I have set two different settings -- TB Boot Support to Pre-Boot ACL, Wake From TB Device to Disabled. A setting for TB USB Support is not available for this BIOS. I have GPIO3 Force Power Enabled.

I have power supplied to both power connectors. I also have the USB Connector connected to my MB (not shown connected in JoanSilva17's photo.)

My self-flashed Titan Ridge board shows Firmware 23.0 like JoanSilva17's board, so it may be using the same firmware as I used. I'm using a TB SSDT generated using the web-based method found in this forum.

Another apparent difference is I'm using a SMBIOS for iMac19,1 instead of apparently a Mac Pro.

I'm using Catalina 10.15.6 and Clover 5119.

I boot without issue without any TB devices connected. TB devices work fine with the typical oddities of cold vs. warm booting, etc...

This likely won't solve JoanSilva17's problems, but the problems should be solvable with enough clues.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 7.34.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Because you're getting "Valid Purchase Date, ..." it means your serial number has been taken by a real Mac owner. You should immediately change your serial number. And remove that computer from your iCloud settings. Changing serial number can require some apps to be relicensed.
Thank you! Done. Dang, I was not expecting this but it makes sense. I imagine this has been causing some of the Catalina issues as well.
RE: Apollo and unflashed GC-Titan Ridge: You're certain about lower buffer sizes etc with a flashed card that connect thunderbolt node?

... Let me ask you though @CaseySJ what does flashing this firmware on the onboard chip allow us to do? I've never actually seen what it allows indifference.
Please see this post:

This is from quite a while ago, but I finally got around to completely re-installing Mojave from scratch, and the problem persists. Any other ideas? Maybe I should just finally update to Catalina and see if it happens there...
Let's do this:
  1. Make a full bootable backup of Mojave.
  2. Then login to Mojave and delete all Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions and then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
    • This is explained fully in Steps 3, 4, 5 of this guide.
  3. Don't reboot!
  4. Now find a USB flash disk and follow the OpenCore 0.6.0 Guide provided here.
    • Once you have configured the EFI folder on the USB flash disk, reboot and press F12 at the BIOS splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu.
    • Select the USB flash disk. The OpenCore Picker GUI will appear.
    • Press spacebar to reveal additional options and choose CFGLock as shown in the bottom of the OpenCore 0.6.0 Guide.
    • Follow those instructions to unlock CFG-Lock (MSR 0xE2).
  5. When you're back at the OpenCore Picker GUI, select the Mojave SSD and see if it boots up.
Now see if the issues you mentioned back in February still occur.

Hello @Togril,

Welcome to the forum!

I assume you're installing Mojave. Do you still have the USB install disk from the earlier successful installation of Mojave? If so, boot from that disk by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen to invoke the BIOS Boot Menu and selecting the USB disk.

When Clover Boot Menu appears, choose the USB flash disk (usually the icon on the far left of the Clover menu). When macOS installer starts, format the internal macOS SSD as:
  • Name: Mojave
  • Format: APFS (not ExFAT)
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Then continue with Mojave installation.

Thank you for the quick reply:
No I do not have it (original thumb drive).
I can Not get to the installation phase. It freezes well before.
I keep doing the whole setup over and over again. Tried using FakeSMC / bought fresh SanDisk thumbDrive etc - For over a week.
The ExFat was to make sure there was nothing on my main SSD "Mojave Target Drive".
pre installation now freezes on AppleUSBHostResources@: (at least the last verbose comment).

.....finally I still have my mojave clone just not the uEFI part.
I am so lost now.
Cheers and sorry for the noob long posts.

Attachments

• FreezePoint.JPG
    FreezePoint.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 63
  • config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.04.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.04.38 pm.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.04.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.04.08 pm.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
@JoanSilva17 @CaseySJ

I don't have a solution for JoanSilva17's problems, but let me add my experience with a similar MB -- a Z390 Aorus Pro (Not WiFi), and a self-flashed Titan Ridge v1 add in card.

In the BIOS version F11 for my MB in settings I have set two different settings -- TB Boot Support to Pre-Boot ACL, Wake From TB Device to Disabled. A setting for TB USB Support is not available for this BIOS. I have GPIO3 Force Power Enabled.

I have power supplied to both power connectors. I also have the USB Connector connected to my MB (not shown connected in JoanSilva17's photo.)

My self-flashed Titan Ridge board shows Firmware 23.0 like JoanSilva17's board, so it may be using the same firmware as I used. I'm using a TB SSDT generated using the web-based method found in this forum.

Another apparent difference is I'm using a SMBIOS for iMac19,1 instead of apparently a Mac Pro.

I'm using Catalina 10.15.6 and Clover 5119.

I boot without issue without any TB devices connected. TB devices work fine with the typical oddities of cold vs. warm booting, etc...

This likely won't solve JoanSilva17's problems, but the problems should be solvable with enough clues.

@NCMacGuy @CaseySJ
Well, first of all I want to thank you both for taking the time to solve my problem.
I told them that I was able to solve it (I still don't have any TB3 device to check it) but now it seems to be all right.

Basically what I did was remove ALL the patches related to the RTC (in some errors it told me something about the RTC) and fixes of the ACPI of clover. It's kind of troubling, but my hackintosh without it works normally, I've never known it before. I will leave you a photo and take the opportunity to ask you if I can have a problem due to not having any patch in the ACPI

Hope this is helpful to someone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 23.47.22.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 23.47.22.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 23.47.43.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 23.47.43.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 91
Hi @CaseySJ
Some developments - In addition to my main Hackintosh I have a Mac Mini with Thunderbolt 2 running Mojave. Using a TB3 to TB2 adapter I was able to successfully test the RedLine16 which told me that 1) the Thunderbolt connection on the unit works fine, and 2) I have taken some screenshots of what IOreg sees when its working. There are a lot of similarities between the two but also some differences. Surprisingly in the aged Mac Mini the firmware version is higher although this is TB2 not 3. I don't know if that is important. The reg is different in IO reg as its the pciedebug and assigned address. Not sure what this means but if these can be adjusted I may be able to succeed. I don't know enough really so looking for advice....3rd August is Titan Ridge -
I didn't read your past posts but have you tried to install Mojave on your Hackintosh to try if your audio device is working or not?

i don't read your past posts but have you tried to install Mojave on your Hackintosh to try if your audio device is working or not?
Hi @Inqnuam - I have established that the device is 100% functional by testing the tb in a tb2 mac mini. I was on Mojave initially with this but moved to catalina in the hope that the later OS may solve the problem. Do you know if the differences as shown in the files I posted can be edited?

Back