Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just as an update, Updated my Internal EFI on Boot drive to 0.6.0 haven't had any issues everything is working well and smooth as it did prior on 0.5.9. @CaseySJ I feel you get plenty of thanks already but an extra never hurts! The work you do is amazing and the support you give is second to none sir.

Some had mentioned issues with NVMe fix, ill mention I'm running a WD Black 750 500GB and no issues on it either.
Glad to hear it! Are both of your Ethernet ports showing in “System Information —> Ethernet Cards”?

Sure, please do the following:
  • Check if slide=0 is included in your Clover Boot Arguments
  • If it is, then perform a CMOS Reset by powering the system down (but not flipping the switch on PSU to off position) and shorting the 2 designated pins for about 2-3 seconds as stated in the Designare manual.
  • After CMOS Reset, press DEL to enter BIOS Setup and configure BIOS parameters again starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults (this is necessary because it configures a number of BIOS parameters for us before we configure the rest by ourselves).
  • Now see if you can boot...

slide=0 was in the boot args, performed CMOS Reset... No luck :(

FYI: I did follow the F8 & Up bios configuration in the guide as well when originally doing the install.

slide=0 was in the boot args, performed CMOS Reset... No luck :(

FYI: I did follow the F8 & Up bios configuration in the guide as well when originally doing the install.
Please compress and upload the EFI folder from the USB install disk.

Glad to hear it! Are both of your Ethernet ports showing in “System Information —> Ethernet Cards”?

I believe the answer is yes. Here's a screenshot of my "Ethernet card" section.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.38.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.38.28 PM.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 82

Any other things I can test. Check out to verify for anyone?

I will mention I've wanted to get involved in the Thunderbolt work y'all have done. But I think it's a little out of my experience zone. I'm sure I could read on how to do it. However not sure if I want to dive into that just yet, lol.

Please compress and upload the EFI folder from the USB install disk.

Okay, so I updated to the latest Clover, and it got past that point. Now I'm getting no video, though. It seems to boot. But, when the Apple logo would have appeared, the screen went black. I'll troubleshoot some more and start a new question if I have one. Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Yawl,

Long time no see and no USB freezes (by rocking all the USB2 on my pcie card)!:D

I came back into my studio after a week or so and was greeted with "couldn't allocate runtime area" on bootup. After a couple boots all was well. I dug around found the thread about the perils of using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and went for Casey's fix here:

which didn't work. I got this on bootup (tried a few times):

unnamed.jpg

I don't know if this matters but I noticed a few differences in my EFI from the instructions in the post. First I don't have a CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on my EFI. I do have CLOVER/drivers/drivers64UEFI. All of the files in it except OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 have a "-64" before the ".efi" extension. I assumed this was from a more recent version of clover or something. I went ahead and put the two files
(OcQuirks-4.efi & FwRuntimeServes.efi) in the drivers64UEFI folder.

In the end I reverted back to my OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 laced EFI and all was well.

Should I not worry about it bricking my baby or should I try and implement Casey's fix? And, if the later, can someone give me a tip or two on why it might not be working? and/ or Casey, does that need an update? Or is there a newer/better solution.

I'm running 10.14.6 (forever).

Thanks in advance
B$

Any other things I can test/ Check out to verify for anyone?

I will mention I've wanted to get involved in the thunderbolt work yall have done but I think it's a little out of my experience zone I'm sure I could read on how to do it however not sure if I want to dive into that just yet lol.
Although Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 lists all of the necessary guides, I have not created a single consolidated guide that covers all steps from A to Z in one post. This is intentional. It's meant to be somewhat discouraging. Flashing the controller can damage the board if we're not extremely careful in attaching and detaching the SOIC clip. It requires excellent near-sighted vision and steady hands. But the procedure, once applied successfully to the on-board controller, produces better results than any PCIe add-in-card.

Okay, so I updated to the latest clover and it got past that point. Now I'm getting no video though. Seemed to boot but when the apple logo would have appeared the screen went black. I'll troubleshoot some more and start a new question if I have one. Thank you so much for your help!
If you're using the on-board HDMI port, it's necessary to apply the Framebuffer patch described in Post 1 (enabling on-board HDMI port). Or, to makes things simpler, we can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or even a USB-C to HDMI cable and connect the USB-C side of the cable to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel. Let us know if you need help.

Hi Yawl,

Long time no see and no USB freezes (by rocking all the USB2 on my pcie card)!:D

I came back into my studio after a week or so and was greeted with "couldn't allocate runtime area" on bootup. After a couple boots all was well. I dug around found the thread about the perils of using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and went for Casey's fix here:

which didn't work. I got this on bootup (tried a few times):
Performing a CMOS Reset (and then re-configuring BIOS parameters and re-unlocking MSR 0xE2 if using BIOS F3 to F9) may be able to overcome this problem. But if OcQuirks-4 and FwRuntimeServices simply don't work, then OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 may be the only alternative.
I don't know if this matters but I noticed a few differences in my EFI from the instructions in the post. First I don't have a CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder on my EFI. I do have CLOVER/drivers/drivers64UEFI. All of the files in it except OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 have a "-64" before the ".efi" extension. I assumed this was from a more recent version of clover or something. I went ahead and put the two files
(OcQuirks-4.efi & FwRuntimeServes.efi) in the drivers64UEFI folder.
If there's no CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder, it means you are running Clover 4xxx. Pressing "A" at the Clover Boot Menu will show the "About" information. It is advisable to move up to Clover 5120, but install Clover 5120 in the EFI partition of a USB flash disk for testing/verification. This avoids harming the main Mojave SSD. Then copy all drivers (from drivers64UEFI), kexts (from kexts/Other) and SSDTs (from ACPI/patched) to the respective folders inside the USB flash disk. Even config.plist can be copied to the USB flash disk.

Then reboot, press F12 at the BIOS splash screen to invoke the BIOS Boot Menu, and select the USB disk. At the Clover 5120 boot menu, select the Mojave internal SSD and see if it works. If so, then try replacing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with OcQuirks-4/FwRuntimeServices.

Back