Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If anyone want a USB programmer for the Thunderbolt chip this one works really well and has 3.3v as standard.

ARCELI CH341A Programmer USB to UART IIC SPI TTL ISP EPP/MEM Convertor Parallel Port Converter Onboard
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MPY65JN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_UJ.iFb3T7JDP5
61SwRRbNUDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Thanks. Looking forward for your test results
This is being posted from the Z390 Designare running Catalina 10.15.6 with the debug early versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen using the on-board HDMI port. The on-board HDMI is working just fine. Again, platform ID 0x3E9B0007 should not be used permanently because various audio/video/photo applications will crash on launch. But it can be used temporarily while waiting for an AMD GPU to arrive. On the other hand, if the limitations of iGPU are understood and acceptable, then by all means continue using it. But those limitations are what they are; in other words, using iGPU to drive a display is sold "as-is". ;)

Hello, Casey. I need your valuable opinion again.

I saw in your posts that you said that unlocking MSR 0xE2 register (CFG-Unlock) is necessary for the successful installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and later on the Z390 Designare.

I have already performed a successful installation of Catalina 10.15.6 on an old system with a B75 motherboard, and I have already successfully booted the new Catalina installation using Clover 5119 on my Kaby Lake system and cloned the installation to that system using SuperDuper 3.3.1.

What I want to know is, is it absolutely necessary to do this if I perform an installation of Catalina 10.15.6 on another machine and then attempt to boot the Catalina installation on my main system with the Z390 Designare with BIOS F7? Will Catalina simply refuse to boot if I don't perform the CFG-Unlock procedure?

I have Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 on my system as well and I definitely have NO intention of abandoning them and go to Catalina only, seeing that Catalina 10.15.6 still has serious problems, e.g. causing crashes with VMware Fusion.

I have been trying to do this on my Z390 system but so far no luck. The computer restarts itself every time during the Catalina 10.15.6 boot process.

Edit : To answer my own question, no, the unlock procedure is NOT necessary for Catalina 10.15.6 to boot on my system. I have successfully booted the Catalina installation on my system and cloned the installation to the internal NVMe SSD using SuperDuper 3.3.1. There are some problems like shutdown not working but that's a problem for later.
Hello @Jamesbond007,

When Catalina 10.15.4 was released it caused a bit of havoc for users who did not have native NVRAM enabled. Near the end of the update process, 10.15.4 would display a "Bless Tool" error indicating that the Bless Tool was unable to set the startup disk. Consequently, the MacOS Update volume was not removed from the Clover Boot Menu. The solution was to (a) enable native NVRAM, (b) download the combo updater, and (c) reinstall the 10.15.4 update.

Ever since then we made it a requirement to enable native NVRAM. This makes the Hackintosh behave more like a real Mac. With the F9g beta BIOS, MSR 0xE2 is unlocked by default, which further diminishes the argument for not doing so.

Problems with shutdown are often related to NVRAM. Previously we used EmuVariableUEFI to get past this, but we've also removed that because of conflicts with OpenRuntime.

afternoon @CaseySJ - as you can see Ive had some help from @Inqnuam this morning - this one device is still being elusive. would appreciate your opinion. I know that UAD can give people issues but most have overcome them - I expect this could be similar?....

Hi - I wonder if someone can help me with the last part of this puzzle? Im on X79-up4. Having read the Mac Pro 5.1 flash mod re Titan Ridge I thought Id have a go, and try it on my Hackintosh. Its almost there. My system sees the card as Apple internal Thunderbolt. Its working in that the BMD Mini Monitor I have is seen and functioning, however my Focusrite RedLine 16 Audio device is not functioning on system level despite the control app and green lights showing connection and all looking right in system profiler. Some code must be wrong.

So My steps were as follows - Flashed the Titan Ridge with NVM23-E64FR firmware. Did the header cable mod. Got someone who can modify SSDT to assist with updating the SSDT. I was initially on Mojave but upgraded to Catalina. Following a few mods of the SSDT and the purchase of a Caldigit TS3 to overcome no USB3, its generally ok except for the one device. Its confusing as Sys Profiler looks ok. Be grateful for assistance. Im enclosing my SSDT TB Sys Profiler and IO REg.....
Some comments:
  • Your setup/configuration is correct. Namely:
    • SSDT is okay
    • Thunderbolt Bus is appearing correctly (Bus ID 02)
    • All devices are either in Link Status 0x2 (device connected) or 0x7 (device not connected) instead of being in a Link Status Error condition; this means devices are not only connected, but functioning
  • If Black Magic Design (BMD) Mini Monitor is working correctly and CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock is working correctly, but Focusrite Red 16Line is not, it most likely indicates a problem with any of the following:
    • Firmware on Focusrite itself (good to install latest firmware if available)
    • Focusrite drivers on macOS (update to latest drivers, but check if drivers are supported on Catalina)
  • Is there a "Reset" button on the Focusrite?

Last edited:
This is being posted from the Z390 Designare running Catalina 10.15.6 with the debug early versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen using the on-board HDMI port. The on-board HDMI is working just fine. Again, platform ID 0x3E9B0007 should not be used permanently because various audio/video/photo applications will crash on launch. But it can be used temporarily while waiting for an AMD GPU to arrive. On the other hand, if the limitations of iGPU are understood and acceptable, then by all means continue using it. But those limitations are what they are; in other words, using iGPU to drive a display is sold "as-is". ;)

@CaseySJ Have you tried multiple monitors? I still can't get it to work.
You wanna check the full EFI folder?

Some comments:
  • Your setup/configuration is correct. Namely:
    • SSDT is okay
    • Thunderbolt Bus is appearing correctly (Bus ID 02)
    • All devices are either in Link Status 0x2 (device connected) or 0x7 (device not connected) instead of being in a Link Status Error condition; this means devices are not only connected, but functioning
  • If Black Magic Design (BMD) Mini Monitor is working correctly and CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Dock is working correctly, but Focusrite RedLine 16 is not, it most likely indicates a problem with any of the following:
    • Firmware on Focusrite itself (good to install latest firmware if available)
    • Focusrite drivers on macOS (update to latest drivers, but check if drivers are supported on Catalina)
  • Is there a "Reset" button on the Focusrite?

Hi @CaseySJ thanks for your reply - Ive spoken with them and firmware is up to date. Catalina definitely supported. The drivers in sys prof say they are loaded. I have performed a hard reset on the device and reinstalled software a number of times after each ssdt change just in case.....the io reg shows three driver extensions loaded for the redline 16......

@CaseySJ Have you tried multiple monitors? I still can't get it to work.
You wanna check the full EFI folder?
Yup, tried 3 'monitors'. Actually, 1 physical monitor with 3 connections as follows:
  • On-board HDMI with HDMI to HDMI cable
  • On-board TB3 with USB-C to DisplayPort cable
  • AMD RX 580 with HDMI to HDMI cable
All of them working correctly with no graphics glitches.

My monitor is a somewhat midrange-to-high-end model: the AOC Agon 27" AG273QS4 with two DisplayPort and two HDMI inputs (4 total), which of course allows me to connect up to 4 video inputs.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 5.18.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-31 at 5.18.22 AM.png
I can check the full EFI folder. Feel free to compress and upload.

Hi @CaseySJ thanks for your reply - Ive spoken with them and firmware is up to date. Catalina definitely supported. The drivers in sys prof say they are loaded. I have performed a hard reset on the device and reinstalled software a number of times after each ssdt change just in case.....the io reg shows three driver extensions loaded for the redline 16......
Does the Focusrite work properly on a real Mac running the same version of macOS and the same drivers? That will tell us whether there's a general problem or a specific problem.

Back