Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

1) I would like to use Opencore as the main one, but I don't know if it is stable or otherwise, could you advise me on what to do?
OpenCore is turning out to be an excellent boot loader, but it is still in active development, and its config.list format changes with every release. This makes it harder to upgrade from one version of OpenCore to the next. Right now I would still recommend using Clover on Z390 Designare.
-is more stable Catalina than Mojave ? I’m only interested in stability....
Because you're a video editor, the most important question is whether all of your Apps and Plug-Ins are 64-bit compatible. If in doubt, it's advisable to check each developer's website for "Compatible with Catalina". For me, Catalina has been just as stable as Mojave.
-I want to do a clean installation anyway
This is a good idea. For a clean installation of Catalina, we can use the following mini-guide:

@CaseySJ Is Clover 5120 save to install? Any other changes than removing the OcQuirks.efi file and transfering the settings from the "old" OCQuirks.plist in the EFI folder and deleting the old one afterwards?

"This release includes OcQuirks.efi and OpenRuntime.efi copied from OpenCore project.
OcQuirks.plist embedded into config.plist and present in Clover GUI as separate menu to tune settings on the fly.
Kernel patching includes pattern for Big Sur."

Good to know! Interesting that Clover 5120 now includes OcQuirks/OpenRuntime, and integrates "booter quirks" directly into the Clover config.plist. We may need to wait for an update to Clover Configurator.
And here it is! Clover Configurator 5.15.0.0 with the settings needed for Z390 Designare.
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.40.41 AM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Is Clover 5120 save to install? Any other changes than removing the OcQuirks.efi file and transfering the settings from the "old" OCQuirks.plist in the EFI folder and deleting the old one afterwards?

"This release includes OcQuirks.efi and OpenRuntime.efi copied from OpenCore project.
OcQuirks.plist embedded into config.plist and present in Clover GUI as separate menu to tune settings on the fly.
Kernel patching includes pattern for Big Sur."
The installation file (.pkg) has been removed by the developer. I suspect they found some last-minute critical issue. So let's wait a little bit before installing Clover 5120.

Step 2:
  • "coreduet.sync" syncs apps/data between cloud services.
  • Are you running Microsoft Office and/or Microsoft One cloud disk?
  • Try temporarily unchecking iCloud Drive from System Preferences --> Internet Accounts --> iCloud
    View attachment 481015
  • If problem persists, sign out from iCloud. System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Overview --> Sign Out
At this point we're not trying to solve the problem; we're only trying to identify the culprit.

Quick update. Turning off iCloud Drive didn't solve the issue, however signing out of iCloud completely did. It now goes to sleep within 3 minutes every time. WiFi is also on and connected and no issues.

Does this point to an iCloud issue? And if so, is it specific to my machine, or have yourself/others also been experiencing this?

The installation file (.pkg) has been removed by the developer. I suspect they found some last-minute critical issue. So let's wait a little bit before installing Clover 5120.

Alright, thanks, just noticed it has been deleted!

Quick update. Turning off iCloud Drive didn't solve the issue, however signing out of iCloud completely did. It now goes to sleep within 3 minutes every time. WiFi is also on and connected and no issues.

Does this point to an iCloud issue? And if so, is it specific to my machine, or have yourself/others also been experiencing this?
I encountered a problem with the Reminders App, where past-due reminders were causing "powerd" and "remindd" processes to spin. This was happening on my 2020 MacBook Pro 13" as well. After deleting or marking all of these reminders as complete, signing out of iCloud, rebooting, and signing back in, the problem disappeared.

Technically, I had to manually kill "remindd" after signing back in. I also found that setting a preset Start or Wake time stopped the runaway "powerd" process.

First I set up a Start/Wake schedule (which immediately stops "power" from spinning out of control).
Set start up or wake.png
Then I deleted or marked-as-complete all reminders; logged out of iCloud; rebooted; logged back in; and then removed the auto start/wake:
Disable Start up or wake.png
Anyway, now that you've signed out of iCloud, try (a) rebooting, (b) then checking sleep/wake, (c) then signing back in to iCloud, (d) checking sleep/wake again.

@CaseySJ
Any thoughts on the 3 pin header of the GC-Titan Ridge-Rev2 board? I'm not finding much when I search. Is this something I need to connect a jumper to?

@CaseySJ
Any thoughts on the 3 pin header of the GC-Titan Ridge-Rev2 board? I'm not finding much when I search. Is this something I need to connect a jumper to?
No need to worry about the 3-pin header. This card supports both 5-pin and 3-pin Thunderbolt headers, so it's a matter of using one or the other, but never both at the same time.

I encountered a problem with the Reminders App, where past-due reminders were causing "powerd" and "remindd" processes to spin. This was happening on my 2020 MacBook Pro 13" as well. After deleting or marking all of these reminders as complete, signing out of iCloud, rebooting, and signing back in, the problem disappeared.

Technically, I had to manually kill "remindd" after signing back in. I also found that setting a preset Start or Wake time stopped the runaway "powerd" process.

First I set up a Start/Wake schedule (which immediately stops "power" from spinning out of control).
View attachment 481035
Then I deleted or marked-as-complete all reminders; logged out of iCloud; rebooted; logged back in; and then removed the auto start/wake:
View attachment 481038
Anyway, now that you've signed out of iCloud, try (a) rebooting, (b) then checking sleep/wake, (c) then signing back in to iCloud, (d) checking sleep/wake again.

Thanks Casey. I first did the points you mentioned at the bottom of your post [i.e a), b), c) and then d)] and can confirm that if I turn off iCloud completely, sleep works fine, however as soon as I sign back in, the Coreduet.Sync command comes back.

I also followed your above steps (re: Reminders) with the energy saver schedule trick, however alas, my sleep problems still remain.

Any other ideas before I try another reinstall?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back