Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just updated to 10.15.6 No issues and it was faster on my hack than on 2016MBPro. Two reboots, I just watched clover do its thing and we are all good. Mine was a very recent full reinstall to 10.15.5 following this updated guide. I am running multiple USB things including Focusrite USB audio Scarlett 18i/8. Im getting a Blackmagic Design ATEM Mini today and we shall see how that works. It has USB C connection but not sure what protocol it uses yet. Only thing I had to do on the Hack vs MBPro was log back into iMessage upon final boot. did that and immediately came up. Loving this machine.
Jules

How do I Identify the USB-C ports on the Titan Ridge ver 2.0 so I can configure them
I am 1 or 2 away from the 15 limit
I see controller but no additional ports other than the default 26 in Hackintool only want them to support 3.0 and up (no 2.0/1.1)
First page of this thread, there is a picture of the board with each port clearly identified.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you mean on an addon TB card? Not sure... Is an add on card tied with the 15 ports limit, someone?

Casey, you were right on. I plugged Luna into one of the USB-C on my Caldigit dock and it showed up. But, it's showing speed unto 12Mb/s, which is USB 1 speed. So this little device is USB1 in disguise as USB-C. It's drawing 100mA. Screenshot attached.

My guess is that I will have to remove USBMap.kext from my Opencore EFI and will have to use the SSDT version SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3.aml with USBInjectall.kext enabled. Correct? Or can this coexist with my current USBMap.kext? I never installed SSDT-UIAC-Desginare.

I am also wondering if my current EFI setup is the reason for stability? I have not encountered a single USB freeze of KP since I installed Catalina with OC.
Because you're using OpenCore, you can go ahead and violate the 15 port limit of macOS by doing two things:
  1. Enabling the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist
  2. Modifying your USBPorts.kext by adding HS08 and HS13 as type 9 (USB-C)
We are doing this in the Z490 Vision D build; in fact we have enabled every USB port on that build.

Oh no i hope not, i just got it through the link on amazon from this site. If it really is the card i can return it.

I have not installed windows on the other partition yet, just kind of set it to the side.

What do you suggest I do now for the post install? should I go back and do what your guide suggests?

Thanks
Please note that any of the 3 components below might be suspect. In retrospect, I should not have said defective because that word causes undue alarm.
  • GPU
  • video cable
  • monitor
Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?
Are you using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI or DP-to-DP cable (no adapters)?
What is the make/model of the monitor? Does it support HDR (high dynamic range)?

Also try enabling CSM Support in BIOS (Boot section).

Last edited:
How do I Identify the USB-C ports on the Titan Ridge ver 2.0 so I can configure them
I am 1 or 2 away from the 15 limit
I see controller but no additional ports other than the default 26 in Hackintool only want them to support 3.0 and up (no 2.0/1.1)
Fortunately the 15 port limit is per USB controller. The GC-Titan Ridge has its own USB controller, so its ports do not count towards the internal 15 port limit. The GC-Titan Ridge could supply another 15 ports, theoretically, but it supplies 4:
  • SSP1 (SS = SuperSpeed = USB 3.x)
  • SSP2
  • HS01 (HS = HighSpeed = USB 2.x)
  • HS02
These are defined already in the Thunderbolt SSDT, but on a flashed add-in-card it may be necessary to pre-connect a USB-C device for it to show up. "Pre-connect" means to connect the device before macOS boots.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has been experiencing the USB freezes installed 10.15.6 yet? Has it fixed it?

The Inateck card was a viable solution but @ziggenpuss ' fix was also basically correct (eliminating unused ports didn't help but isolating USB devices on a powered hub was the fix). I'm sorry if I ever doubted you @ziggenpuss - I didn't check my setup correctly. I'm 99% sure that my freezes were the result of a passive (unpowered) hub that I thought was powered.

+1 Explains the crashes I was having with dedicated USB2.0 & USB3.0... I had an internal unpowered Hub with 4 USB2.0 devices on it, and only one USB3.0 device plugged in (to a USB3.0 only port) and was still seeing freezes.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has been experiencing the USB freezes installed 10.15.6 yet? Has it fixed it?
If anybody does experience any USB Freezes on either 10.15.5 OR 10.15.6 I strongly suggest using powered hubs and splitting your peripherals to either USB2 OR USB3. Then re-mapping your SSDT & USB.Kext to suit your needs.

Back