Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

On the other hand, one can have zero crashing because of USB. I am also using DAW's with tons of USB devices(Console 1, Sensel, Novation keyboard, Touche SE, iLok, e-licenser, eMagic MT4, Seagate Harddrive, sd card reader, thumb drives, Logitech wifi mouse thingy, Apple wired keyboard, Griffin PowerMate with non-standard driver, Logitech camera, Wacom graphic tablet, cheap USB3 hub with USB3 and USB2 peripherals, etc) plugged in randomly, changed often in no apparent order, with zero problems.

Clover/Mojave/Bios F9b/No USB audio interface/using adapted USBPorts.kext

Oh wow, throwing it back with that MT4. You've been at this a while I see :)

Oh wow, throwing it back with that MT4. You've been at this a while I see :)

Yes. I also have an Emagic Unitor somewhere. But I don't have many classic MIDI devices(5-pin DIN) anymore so it stays in storage.
The MT4 is sufficient for using my Korg Wavestation once in a while(for its 5-octave keyboard)

Catalina 10.15.6 has just been released.

As always, make a full bootable backup before attempting the in-place update.

View attachment 480518

Yesterday I had my first 'USB Freeze' that a number of others users have had. Let's hope Apple has fixed the issue in the latest update.

Last edited:
Wondering if you found a solution yet, as I'm having a similar problem.
- made CLONE of my internal NVMe boot drive (last night, using CCC) to an external Thunderbolt drive
- copied EFI folder of the internal drive to EFI folder on the CLONE, having changed the "Default Boot Volume" in config.plist to the new CLONE name (I fear I may have made that Boot Volume change to config file on internal drive).

Now (whether I choose original internal drive OR the new clone in Clover) I cannot successfully boot to either drive.

Questions:
1- Did I muddy the waters for the original boot drive by changing "Default Boot Volume" in config.plist to the CLONE? If so, how do I restore config file on original drive to boot from it?
2- I noticed that CaseySJ-prescribed BIOS settings for Designare include "Thunderbolt Boot Support = Disabled." Does this mean that I shouldn't have created my clone on a Thunderbolt drive?

[I've been using this system for steady stream of freelance edit work in Premiere since last November, trouble-free. Ironically, I was creating this clone as a "safety measure" before installing DaVinci Resolve for green-screen work on Monday.]

And you're using @byteminer's EFIClone right? Because you shouldn't need to copy the EFI folder to the clone, the EFIClone script should do that for you. And are you able to get to the Clover Bootloader screen or does it hang before then?

My specific problem was unique to the lenovo system I was using. Supposedly my motherboard has a hard time identifying EFI partitions so you need to manually identify the path of the boot file (bootx64.efi) on the EFI partition.

If you get to the bootloader and it hangs after that, my first line of troubleshooting is to download updated kexts of FakeSMC/VirtualSMC, Whatevergreen, and Lilu and that usually solves most of my issues.

I have been watching all that unfold. In my case though all I had connected and powered up was my mouse, keyboard and an Epson Surecolor-P800 printer.

It was, however, just after I started a large (about 2TB) file copy from one internal spinning disk to another internal one. Maybe it was just a coincidence as it has not happened before or since. I even did the file copy again once I had rebooted (by screen sharing into it) and that ran fine. The initial copy had also frozen at the same time even though Youtube music was still playing.

Catalina 10.15.6 has just been released.
Thanks! I was about to do a fresh (re)install with 10.15.5, just caught this in time while checking my full bootable backup.

Yesterday I had my first 'USB Freeze' that a number of others users have had. Let's hope Apple has fixed the issue in the latest update.

The 10.15.6 release information mentions a fix for USB-related issues (see below). Although the description does not match the USB-freezes reported here in this thread, I'm hoping this will fix those nasty USB-freezes several of you are struggling with.

On that note (USB-freezes):
I've been unaffected by freezes until today. This was right after implementing True One-Key Wake from Sleep Without Changing DarkWake by adding USBWakeFixup.kext and SSDT-USBW.aml to my EFI/CLOVER folders.

It could be unrelated, but might be worthwile to see if removing USBWakeFixup.kext and SSDT-USBW.aml resolves the USB-freezing issues (that is, if you have those installed).

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 23.05.41.png

On the other hand, one can have zero crashing because of USB. I am also using DAW's with tons of USB devices(Console 1, Sensel, Novation keyboard, Touche SE, iLok, e-licenser, eMagic MT4, Seagate Harddrive, sd card reader, thumb drives, Logitech wifi mouse thingy, Apple wired keyboard, Griffin PowerMate with non-standard driver, Logitech camera, Wacom graphic tablet, cheap USB3 hub with USB3 and USB2 peripherals, etc) plugged in randomly, changed often in no apparent order, with zero problems.

Clover/Mojave/Bios F9b/No USB audio interface/using adapted USBPorts.kext
I have been watching all that unfold. In my case though all I had connected and powered up was my mouse, keyboard and an Epson Surecolor-P800 printer.

It was, however, just after I started a large (about 2TB) file copy from one internal spinning disk to another internal one. Maybe it was just a coincidence as it has not happened before or since. I even did the file copy again once I had rebooted (by screen sharing into it) and that ran fine. The initial copy had also frozen at the same time even though Youtube music was still playing.
Failing HDD? How old are they?

Back