Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone. I'm in the Open Core guide, and I'm almost ready to start the USB OS installer. One question though: Are we still using the separate OcQuirks.zip files?
OcQuirks is used only with Clover. Its job is to configure the OpenCore FwRuntimeServices or OpenRuntime so those memory drivers can be used with Clover.

But if we use OpenCore itself, we configure OpenRuntime (FwRuntimeServices is outdated now) using Booter Quirks in the OpenCore config.plist. This has already been done inside the EFI zip file in the OpenCore Mini-Guide.

USB Freezes:

@CaseySJ @kellymac12 @bmoney @brousseau6933 @boob @verendus

Okay for anybody that has been experiencing annoying and random USB Freezes over the last few weeks/months.
I 'may' have found a solution that works for me - so far..

After initially having quite severe freezes with a USB2 Logitech webcam starting back in April I initially thought it may have been my Softube Console 1 as the cause of the problem. It was having strange behaviour of buttons not working, lights not on etc. and tbh Softube forums were also full of users with similar problems.
After much head scratching, port-pulling, frustration, patience, a stint on Windows and roll back to Mojave on a second NVMe I started to read on here I wasn't alone.

I ask you to try the below:

Physically split all of your peripherals to either USB2 OR USB3 ports.

USB2
I now have all 11 of my USB2 peripherals on 2 x LINDY 7 port 5v USB Hubs going into HS09 & HS10
Play around with it and try and get a 'balance of power' on all items with the Current Available / Current Needed in the USB System Information dropdown.
eg. I found my Ableton Push 2 asking me to 'plug into a usb2 port please' in the system info.
(something I've not seen before) however moving to the other port and changing the USB cable it was fine.

USB3
Here I have a Elektron Overhub USB3 powered hub plugged in to SS07.
On here I have 2 x Lacie drives with music on.
I now have it placed on the desktop and can use anything like USB3 removable drives, USB sticks etc.

So as you can see below from the Hackintool grab my SSDT now contains a reduced amount of ports.

USB2 - HS09 & HS10
USB3 - SS07
Internal - HS11
XHC3 - SSP1
XHC3 - SSP2

View attachment 479860

Once you have whittled it down to how many peripherals, hubs, ports you are going to use you must then create a new SSDT making sure that USB3 is just that: USB3 ONLY and it is NOT sharing as a USB2 port.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Okay as for making the SSDT. Once I'd used IORegistryExplorer and System Info to work out what ports I'll be using I then used Hackintool or you can USBpoprt map to create the new SSDT. Copied and pasted the ports into @CaseySJ V7 SSDT - included below.

I am using USBInjectAll.kext (0.7.3)
SSDT-UIAC
SSDT-EC

I am on OpenCore 0.5.9.
NB: Sleep now works perfectly.
Also anybody with Fenvi problems - it's not the card it's how it's attached to the USB port.
Thanks for the SSDT! Hackintool is showing the same for my sys now. I'm leaving the safety of the inateck USB card and trying a similar approach with my hubs/devices. I'll be working a lot over the next two days and will report back.

OcQuirks is used only with Clover. Its job is to configure the OpenCore FwRuntimeServices or OpenRuntime so those memory drivers can be used with Clover.

But if we use OpenCore itself, we configure OpenRuntime (FwRuntimeServices is outdated now) using Booter Quirks in the OpenCore config.plist. This has already been done inside the EFI zip file in the OpenCore Mini-Guide.
Thanks for that. BTW, I've loaded the Z390DESIGNARE.F9h: One CFG-enabled setup for the existing Clover/EmuNVRAM and one CFG-disabled setup so that I can easily cut over to at least a Native NVRAM EFI.

Thanks for the SSDT! Hackintool is showing the same for my sys now. I'm leaving the safety of the inateck USB card and trying a similar approach with my hubs/devices. I'll be working a lot over the next two days and will report back.
REPORT - This didn't work for me. (w/only usb2 devices in hs9 and hs10. Lasted about 45 mins and then a freeze.)

Post freeze debrief:
Plugged back into the USB card and kept on going with my devices. Typing happily now through it.
MB USB ports are dysfunctional, Ext HD with OTG USB3 adaptoid is working fine in SSP1. Confirmed that USB3 drives also work in SSP1 w/powered hub and OTG and USB2 devices do not. USB3 drive in HS07 powers but does not mount.

Also, interestingly in Hackintool (as some of you probably know) that the PCI USB card is not in the port list and lives in some happy land where its function and stability is impervious to whatever is harshing the MB ports' mellow. I believe this confirms what @jleahy2 also experienced. As a side note Digital Performer is a brutal mess in windows so I couldn't be happier that there is A FIX and I get to enjoy working as usual but with this shredding new machine.

Last edited:
@Inqnuam,

Thanks again for your effort on the Thunderbolt DROM configuration webpage.
Thanks to you, I learnt a lot about bytes hex and all during the development!

• Download attached file: Script Thunderbolt DROM.html
  • Double-click to open in web browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome)
lets simplify this more
just visit HackinDROM

does not currently allow us to change Thunderbolt Bus ID
Challenge accepted !

Last edited:
Also, interestingly in Hackintool (as some of you probably know) that the PCI USB card is not in the port list and lives in some happy land where its function and stability is impervious to whatever is harshing the MB ports' mellow. I believe this confirms what @jleahy2 also experienced. As a side note Digital Performer is a brutal mess in windows so I couldn't be happier that there is A FIX and I get to enjoy working as usual but with this shredding new machine.
I'm still going strong over here. No reboots, no drop-outs since switching to the external card. I still haven't had much time to mess around in Ableton though, so... I'm gonna wait for a few weeks until I spend some solid time into it to confirm, but...so far, so good.

REPORT - This didn't work for me. (w/only usb2 devices in hs9 and hs10. Lasted about 45 mins and then a freeze.)

USB3 drive in HS07 powers but does not mount

NO HS07 (HighSpeed) in USB 3.0 ports.. as USB2/USB3 ports are meant to be separate.

Last edited:
IOReg screenshot shows that the Ethernet card is disabled. Please check this BIOS setting:
  • Settings --> IO Ports --> PCH LAN Controller
View attachment 479549
Hi @CaseySJ I checked the BIOS setting and the PCH LAN Controller was already set as enabled, but there's still only one ethernet port showing up in the settings in Mojave.
Thanks for trying to solve this!!!

I’ve attached a screen shot of the BIOS.

Attachments

• DFCE39FE-65E6-49BE-B6CA-5EDC619EE2F6.jpeg
    DFCE39FE-65E6-49BE-B6CA-5EDC619EE2F6.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ I checked the BIOS setting and the PCH LAN Controller was already set as enabled, but there's still only one ethernet port showing up in the settings in Mojave.
Thanks for trying to solve this!!!

I’ve attached a screen shot of the BIOS.
No Windows boot to at least eliminate hardware problem?

Your IOreg shows hardware, unless I’m mistaken, but no kext loaded...

Last edited:
Back