Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I moved from Asus to GB for USB stability issue. I am not sure how much of that was chipset or the controller used, but have not experienced any instability with USB ports. I mapped everything out using USBMap.kext and using opencore 0.5.9. I do use Caldigit TS3+ TB dock and connect all my mission critical devices (Camera, capture card, Audio Interface, 4K monitor) so that I can easily swap between my MBP and Hackintosh with one cable. I will try connecting some of those devices to the Desginare port, to see if I can reproduce any instability. But, so far, the MB has been rock solid.
Thanks! If you do run into USB stability problems after moving some devices to on-board ports, please let us know.
Just one quick question, shouldn't Platform ID for IGPU headless be 0x3E920003 instead of 0x3E980003?
0x3E920003 is for mobile CPUs, but 0x3E980003 is for desktop 9th Gen CPUs.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same TB3 Dock, namely the OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 dock. It was purchased on November 27, 2018 and has worked well ever since...
I think it's my cable. I tried it on my MBP and, it fails to work on that too. I'll have to try to find a cable that works, and report back.

Interestingly enough, not to shoot myself in the foot here, but I haven't had any issues since I've switched to that other EFI setup, although... I have been rebooting into Windows for a few hours every night. I think I tend to see issues when I leave the system in OSX running for days at a time more so than not.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
I think it's my cable. I tried it on my MBP and, it fails to work on that too. I'll have to try to find a cable that works, and report back.

Interestingly enough, not to shoot myself in the foot here, but I haven't had any issues since I've switched to that other EFI setup, although... I have been rebooting into Windows for a few hours every night. I think I tend to see issues when I leave the system in OSX running for days at a time more so than not.

What's the difference between your current EFI setup and the previous one? I'd be lucky to leave the system running for a day without a USB crash

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What's the difference between your current EFI setup and the previous one? I'd be lucky to leave the system running for a day without a USB crash
A surprising amount actually. Different DSDT, only using the SSDT for TB3 and NVRAM. This one is using a different USB kext as well (or at least it's named differently). It's *drastically* more simplified as well - way less things are checked, edited, filled out, etc. I suspect the DSDT is doing more on this EFI setup than with the one on this tread which would account for less fixes being checked, etc, but I really don't know. I don't really know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. I know enough about this stuff to get the system functional, but not all the intricacies of everything. All of this may be considered "wrong and bad practice" for all I know, but...I haven't had a USB dropout for around a week now.

I won't be convinced it's fixed/actually gone though I can leave the system up for a solid 1-2 weeks at least, while digging hard into Ableton and not experiencing the issue.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
A surprising amount actually. Different DSDT, only using the SSDT for TB3 and NVRAM. This one is using a different USB kext as well (or at least it's named differently). It's *drastically* more simplified as well - way less things are checked, edited, filled out, etc. I suspect the DSDT is doing more on this EFI setup than with the one on this tread which would account for less fixes being checked, etc, but I really don't know. I don't really know if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. I know enough about this stuff to get the system functional, but not all the intricacies of everything. All of this may be considered "wrong and bad practice" for all I know, but...I haven't had a USB dropout for around a week now.

I won't be convinced it's fixed/actually gone though I can leave the system up for a solid 1-2 weeks at least, while digging hard into Ableton and not experiencing the issue.

Would you mind sharing your (sanitised) EFI? I'm up for trying "bad practice" if it improves stability!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Understood. Seems like an issue with Clover 5xxx. The problem can be reported to the developer on GitHub:

The May 2020 Update includes new versions of the UEFI memory driver (OcQuirks/OpenRuntime) and newer Acidanthera kexts (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC, VirtualSMC). It also includes USBWakeFixup and its companion SSDT called SSDT-USBW.

I suspect that the new UEFI memory driver may not be compatible with Mojave. We can, however, update the Acidanthera kexts, but leave the UEFI memory driver alone.
Unfortunately perhaps there is a "cross" problem between the inability to use the "May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install" package to start macOS Mojave and the problem in starting Linux using the Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh package install.
In fact, by using the "May 2020 Update" package to start, I can correctly start Linux from the Clover menu but not macOS Mojave and vice versa as regards the 10.15.4 Fresh Install package.
Therefore it seems, if I understand correctly, that these problems depend on the various versions of the same OcQuirks package, as you had guessed.
Do you think there may be a solution (or wait next OcQuirks drivers release)?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Thanks! If you do run into USB stability problems after moving some devices to on-board ports, please let us know.

Update:
I moved some of my USB devices from my TB3 dock to the Designare USB ports (both back and the case front) and tested them for several hours. They include Camlink 4K, WD SSD 2TB, Samsung EVO SSD, M-Audio Motu Audio Interface (USB 2.0 disguised with USB-C connection), Midi Keyboard Controller, all requiring pretty steady power from the ports. None of them experienced any sort of instability. I was editing some video off my SSDs and they all worked flawlessly. So this instability issue some users are experiencing may not be related to hardware. FYI, I am running Opencore 0.5.9 with Catalina 10.5.5 SUP. All the ports have been mapped using USB Map Tool from OC Desktop Guide, and I created my custom SSDTs using SSDTTime in Windows 10. What's even more interesting is that I have experienced more KP and random restart on my 2016 MPB running the same OS. I've also had my MBP flickering into black screen when connected to my 4K monitor via Caldigit TB dock, but this has never happened on my Hackintosh. It's been super stable. So, unless our motherboards have some different versions of controllers that are causing instability, it may be related to ACPI issue. Don't give up. I've attached my EFI folder for your reference.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2 MB · Views: 64
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would you mind sharing your (sanitised) EFI? I'm up for trying "bad practice" if it improves stability!

I'm not sure if it will or not in your case, but I'd definitely be interested to hear your experience with it compared to your current EFI to see if there's any discernible difference or improvements of any kind. The DSDT may not align properly with your system though, as it was built for mine, I dunknow. Again, there very well may be 'bad practices', etc inside here so... I'd consider this nothing more than just experimental at this point.

Casey - My apologies if this isn't allowed or you don't want this up. Please feel free to remove the file if so.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 67

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Casey - My apologies if this isn't allowed or you don't want this up. Please feel free to remove the file if so.
This is perfectly okay. I would also like to see if we as a group can either (a) find the cause of USB instability or (b) use a magical EFI that prevents the problem.

Because I don't have the same types of USB devices, I'm mostly a spectator. But if we (as a group) find a solution or workaround, I will need to incorporate that into the build guide.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
@verendus @jleahy2 @CaseySJ Thanks all. Not going to be able to do much this weekend, but I'll try out various permutations on Monday and see if any one option works better than another.