Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes - are you having the same issue?
If it's a random freeze where the mouse stops, all keys null yet audio and on-screen graphics still move.. then possibly.
I first thought it was my Logitech USB webcam, which led me down a path of trying many alternatives software/hardware/OS/Winblows?/etc. Couldn't work it out so put it down to USB & Video related problem.. However that was a few weeks ago and I went back to streaming (an online class) back through my old 2012 MacBook so I haven't had the issue since. But the whole point of me building this machine was to use in my little studio-setup. I've just been using Ableton earlier and suddenly 2hrs into using the freeze came back. I'd not changed anything earlier that was different from last few weeks etc. But, I had my studio on the go and there's a few items running into a couple of USB Hubs plus Firmware Flashed TB3 running UAD Apollo.

I see we both have a Vega too??
I'm not sure but I think USB/Video related..

Thanks @CaseySJ - your work on this forum helping people is incredible... GPIO3 Force Pwr was disabled. That's not going to have anything to do with the USB stability, though? I'm guessing that's just to force the TB chipset to power up
Correct -- it won't affect USB stability. But the Thunderbolt chip provides its own USB 3.x controller, so you have the possibility of connecting USB devices to those two ports via USB Type A to Type C cables or adapters. But make sure the cable is certified for USB 3.x because we've disabled USB 2.x transmission protocol on all USB Type C connectors.

If it's a random freeze where the mouse stops, all keys null yet audio and on-screen graphics still move.. then possibly.
I first thought it was my Logitech USB webcam, which led me down a path of trying many alternatives software/hardware/OS/Winblows?/etc. Couldn't work it out so put it down to USB & Video related problem.. However that was a few weeks ago and I went back to streaming (an online class) back through my old 2012 MacBook so I haven't had the issue since. But the whole point of me building this machine was to use in my little studio-setup. I've just been using Ableton earlier and suddenly 2hrs into using the freeze came back. I'd not changed anything earlier that was different from last few weeks etc. But, I had my studio on the go and there's a few items running into a couple of USB Hubs plus Firmware Flashed TB3 running UAD Apollo.

I see we both have a Vega too??
I'm not sure but I think USB/Video related..

That sounds like my issue, although my audio stops too (running a RME Fireface UC, so when the USB system crashes that crashes). I can log in using screen sharing and the computer is responsive - just can't use any USB peripherals attached to it.

I might try taking the Vega out at some point to see if that makes a difference. Will report back if it does

Correct -- it won't affect USB stability. But the Thunderbolt chip provides its own USB 3.x controller, so you have the possibility of connecting USB devices to those two ports via USB Type A to Type C cables or adapters. But make sure the cable is certified for USB 3.x because we've disabled USB 2.x transmission protocol on all USB Type C connectors.

I'll try that. Any suggestions for (known) good-quality USB-C to USB 3.x adapters from Amazon? I can always reroll the UIAC to disable the front-panel USB-C and enable the TB USB 2.x, as I'm not using that.

I'll try that. Any suggestions for (known) good-quality USB-C to USB 3.x adapters from Amazon? I can always reroll the UIAC to disable the front-panel USB-C and enable the TB USB 2.x, as I'm not using that.
Sure, this Amazon Basics cable should work. However, front-panel USB-C port is controlled by the same PCH chipset. Only the two rear panel Thunderbolt/USB-C ports are controlled by the independent Thunderbolt USB controller.

EDIT: It might be better to try these adapters instead:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVX3516/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Sure, this Amazon Basics cable should work. However, front-panel USB-C port is controlled by the same PCH chipset. Only the two rear panel Thunderbolt/USB-C ports are controlled by the independent Thunderbolt USB controller.

EDIT: It might be better to try these adapters instead:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVX3516/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

Re: front-panel vs rear-panel - if I disable the internal front-panel USB-C header in a custom UIAC, doesn't that give me an extra two ports to play with so that I can enable USB 2 on the TB ports without running foul of the 15-port limit? Or have I misunderstood?

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

Re: front-panel vs rear-panel - if I disable the internal front-panel USB-C header in a custom UIAC, doesn't that give me an extra two ports to play with so that I can enable USB 2 on the TB ports without running foul of the 15-port limit? Or have I misunderstood?
Good try, but the plot thickens... :)
  • The two rear panel Thunderbolt / USB-C connectors support:
    • USB 3.x
    • USB 2.x
    • USB 1.x
  • However, if we connect a USB 2.x or USB 1.x device into those ports, the traffic is routed to the same old Intel PCH controller.
  • Only USB 3.x traffic is routed to the Thunderbolt USB controller.
So enabling HS08 and HS13 will allow USB 2.x and USB 1.x devices to function, but they will be controlled by the same Intel PCH controller that is already giving you trouble...

Because USB 3.x on those two ports is managed by the Thunderbolt chip, those ports are labeled SSP1 and SSP2. Because the USB Port Limit applies to each controller, and because SSP1 and SSP2 are attached to RP05.DSB2.XHC5 which only has these 2 ports, it does not affect the 15-port limit on PCI0.XHC.

Last edited:
*** USB 2.0 Instability on Certain 2020 Macs ***

May or may not be relevant to us.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 1.57.51 PM.png

Just awesome! Love that distro-block/pump/res thing with two sets of radiator loops. (What is the make/model of that?) Finally someone posts a photo of their custom hardline build... :) I haven't personally graduated to that level as I mentioned once before in this thread, namely:
  • Freshman: air cooler
  • Sophomore: all-in-one liquid cooler
  • Junior: custom soft tubing
  • Senior: custom hardline tubing
I've been stuck at the sophomore level... :)

I have create a post with the component list including the watercooling parts for your reference here. Will work on the links when I got more time over over the weekend. Hope to see your custom hardline build some day!! Again thanks for all the help along the way. Keep it up!

Yea, that's what I do to use the USB 2.0 USB-C cable that came with my iPad Pro. So try things out and settle with what works for your system.

Back