Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am indeed using 19,1. So there's my problem! :lol:
That was my suspicion until I saw these posts by @Ploddles:
It detects my RX580 without problems.

View attachment 476135
The config.plist he posted is using iMac19,1. His Device Properties are setting:
  • iGPU name to UHD 630
  • AMD GPU name to AMD Radeon RX 580
This is essentially the advice I gave to @tsamy (i.e. to rename RX 580 from Radeon RX 580 to AMD Radeon RX 580), but apparently that didn't work...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@jleahy2

Thank you for the comprehensive write-up. Please let us know if the new EFI helps. Someone mentioned that USB instability has also been reported on real Macs. Have you encountered any references to that?

Will do. I don't have much hope for it, but if it does, I'll definitely report back to try to understand exactly what has helped it. The two configs are drastically different.

I have read there are supposedly reports on real macs, but I have't seen them myself. I haven't used a legitimate/real Mac for this kind of use for many years. I have 2 MBP's, but I don't use any sort of USB hardware with them, so it's hard to say. The last legitimate Mac I used as a pro workstation was a 2013 model MacPro (black cylinder model). It was back on High Sierra, and I never had any issues with it like this. External USB hardware remained the same (same keyboard, same mouse, same Ableton Push II). Only difference on that system was I was using an Apollo Twin thunderbolt audio interface back then instead of the Focusrite I am today. I was wondering if it was thunderbolt related (and was ready to try flashing thunderbolt to see if it would work (I currently have not flashed mine)), however I've noticed there are at least 2 others in here experiencing these issues who say they are not using thunderbolt at all, so....it seems unrelated.

For what it's worth - I will say that this is my third recent Hackintosh build, and every single one of them has had random USB issues:
  • My first was an Asrock motherboard (don't remember model, sorry) running High Sierra, and a USB3 audio interface. It never had USB drop completely out, however... it suffered from audio buffer overruns, clicks pops, and tons of USB errors in Console constantly.
  • My second was a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7. This DID have usb drop out issues. This was my old build before this one, and I only updated to gain better hotplug thunderbolt support
  • My current is the Gigabyte board on this build, which has also been plagued with USB drop out issues.

I really wanted to go back to High Sierra to see if the problems stopped since over all, I've had the best luck with a stable system in that version of the OS (and it also didn't exhibit weird iMessage issues I always get on Mojave/Catalina), however... I can't do that with my Radeon VII. I spent days trying to spoof and hack the drivers to get some level of basic support on it and it was obviously a complete failure so I gave up. I'm not willing to go without utilizing that video card unfortunately, so it's an option I can't test.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
I am indeed using 19,1. So there's my problem! :lol:

Next question: Does it matter what my dGPU shows as in terms of actual performance? I was trying to get the acceleration to show/work just because I was trying to get my system up and puttering along as close to a real Mac as possible. Realistically, I'm going to be doing mostly audio and web dev related work, and I probably won't be doing a lot of video encoding right now. Maybe in the future. However based on what I was reading a few pages back, per Casey, it seems like fixing what the dGPU shows as in VideoProc is just cosmetic anyway. Correct?

You can download BruceX test and try to export into H.264 and HEVE 8 Bit (you will have to install Motion, and add that as an option in preferences > destination). Post the result. Should be around 10-15 secs at most if you have Quick Sync enabled. I am not sure going to iMacPro1,1 is worth it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro

The config.plist he posted is using iMac19,1. His Device Properties are setting:
  • iGPU name to UHD 630
This is essentially the advice I gave to @tsamy (i.e. to rename RX 580 from Radeon RX 580 to AMD Radeon RX 580), but apparently that didn't work...

I thought this was really strange too. I have a haunch that VideoProc defaults to dGPU if the IGPU is not detected. I had the same issue when I was running Radeon VII with my IGUP not as headless, but default drive mode (07009B3E). What was his ig-platform-id?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I thought this was really strange too. I have a haunch that VideoProc defaults to dGPU if the IGPU is not detected. I had the same issue when I was running Radeon VII with my IGUP not as headless, but default drive mode (07009B3E). What was his ig-platform-id?
These are from his config.plist:
  • iMac19,1
  • Headless platform ID 0x3E980003
  • Because the correct keyword is "model" instead of "AAPL,model", only the AMD Radeon RX 580 is being set correctly.
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.59.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.59.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 9.01.07 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

• iGPU name to UHD 630

If we correctly rename the 580 to 'AMD Radeon RX 580', should this be reflected in About This Mac, or would this just influence VideoProc?

• Because the correct keyword is "model" instead of "AAPL,model", only the AMD Radeon RX 580 is being set correctly.

This is in my config.plist too, which I pulled directly from the Catalina fresh install mini-guide on this thread. Should we be correcting this to just "model" for the iGPU?

Additionally, I ran the BruceX test, and I'm averaging around 12 seconds, so it looks like I did something right?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
I am learning something new everyday. :) I use Hackintool to confirm if iGPU is set up for Quick Sync. (VDA Decoder fully supported). Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think dGPU alone can do H.264 and HEVC decoding. This is why $6K MacPro is slower in decoding/encoding H264/265 in FCPX than a lowly iMac with iGPU.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX Vega 64
I am learning something new everyday. :) I use Hackintool to confirm if iGPU is set up for Quick Sync. (VDA Decoder fully supported). Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think dGPU alone can do H.264 and HEVC decoding. This is why $6K MacPro is slower in decoding/encoding H264/265 in FCPX than a lowly iMac with iGPU.
Correction :) : my system has iGPU disabled, so only using the Vega 64, and I get to do very quick HEVC and H.264 de- and encoding. VDA Decoder is 'fully supported' according to Hackintool.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
*** Are you experiencing USB port stability problems? ***

There have been an uncomfortable number of complaints about USB port instability. If you're experiencing this problem, please answer the questions below in the hopes that some common thread or clue might emerge.

• Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
  • Are you using the USB SSDT from this thread (SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml)?
  • Are you using USBPorts.kext instead?
  • What is the make/model of your power supply?
  • What USB devices are connected when instability occurs?
    • Which of these devices has its own power supply?
  • What Thunderbolt devices are connected when USB instability occurs?
  • When USB instability occurs, what exactly happens on screen? What do you experience?
  • Does the instability go away on its own? Does it require a reboot?
  • How often does it occur? Every time you use the computer? Every N hours? Every N minutes?
  • Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
    • Catalina
  • Are you using Clover or OpenCore?
    • OpenCore
  • Are you using the USB SSDT from this thread (SSDT-UIAC-Z390-DESIGNARE-V7.aml)?
    • Yes
  • Are you using USBPorts.kext instead?
    • No
  • What is the make/model of your power supply?
    • Corsair Professional 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  • What USB devices are connected when instability occurs?
    • Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port powers my Lacie Rugged & Lacie Mobile drives but does not mount or even show up on DiskUtilities
    • Which of these devices has its own power supply?
      • None

I read one of the threads above and switched my SMBIOS from iMac19,1 to iMacPro1,1 and got an indication of GC-Titan on my System Information. How can I turn this guy back on?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.49.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.49.39 PM.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.00.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 12.00.24 AM.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 75