Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've tried it again and have gotta slightly better result at 1234/7331
As for Cinebench, yes I am using Cinebench 20.060 (I posted new results with all apps closed)

I have Lacie drives with thunderbolt capabilities but they're not even showing up. Nothing called Titan Ridge Controller in System Information.

Under HWMonitor, all my cores seems to be recognized from Core 0-7 + Diode. I don't know if that's I'm looking for.
Lastly, my handoff seems to not work as well when Airdrop, Bluetooth, and Wifi work fine (running Fenvi T919).

Thank you in advance!
Your GeekBench scores are 'correct' now. CPU temperatures are okay; a little warm, but still okay.

Regarding Thunderbolt, please check (a) Thunderbolt BIOS settings (see Post #1) and (c) files in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. If unsure whether this folder contains the necessary files, simply post a screenshot of the folder.

Regarding Handoff, please see this post.

Hi I found a problem about flash firmware thunderbolt Card,I used thunderbolt 3 NVME Box,it read mark only have half, the same box connect to Macbook Pro it's read mark is double

Hi I found a problem about flash firmware thunderbolt Card,I used thunderbolt 3 NVME Box,it read mark only have half, the same box connect to Macbook Pro it's read mark is double
Please check System Information --> Thunderbolt --> Speed. Do you see 40 Gbps for the two ports when no devices are connected? Then after connecting the NVMe box, what Speed do you see?
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 5.56.02 PM.png

• Alternatively, try CMOS Reset by following the procedure in the Designare manual. This will reset BIOS parameters to factory defaults and it may also re-lock MSR 0xE2. So we will need to configure BIOS again (starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults) and the check and unlock MSR 0xE2.
Yesterday I went on and tried the above.
At first reboot upon resetting the CMOS it worked. I had saved a BIOS profile so I just had to reload that without drilling through the settings :)
Then I checked for MSR 0xE2 and it was locked, so I went through the ordeal of unlocking it and it worked fine for a couple reboots, but then the card did not show up anymore.

Also the behaviour of TB3 ports is not consistent (and it won't always show up in System Profile). Yesterday I plugged in a drive and it only showed up at reboot (cold plug), while the iPad Pro 2020 I have connected USB-C to USB-C (data) won't show up as a video capture device in quicktime.

I'm happy I gave it another shot, but while this machine is stable enough to use software and run a GPU, it proved unreliable when it comes to running multiple expansions and a lot of USB devices.
I have noticed that if no USB device is plugged in (not even keyboard/mouse) there are more chances of this card showing up and the iPad working as video source over TB3.

I'll order my Mac Pro when I return from my holiday :)
Thank you for the effort, Casey.
Much appreciated :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:
Your GeekBench scores are 'correct' now. CPU temperatures are okay; a little warm, but still okay.

Regarding Thunderbolt, please check (a) Thunderbolt BIOS settings (see Post #1) and (c) files in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. If unsure whether this folder contains the necessary files, simply post a screenshot of the folder.

Regarding Handoff, please see this post.

Thank you for the quick response and confirmation!
I also followed the Handoff and is now working!

In regards to Thunderbolt, I'll leave my BIOS pics below. I couldn't find anything from vF8.
I did find this guide, but it seems like I need something right before it. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1768#post-2095044

What you meant by files in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? Did you mean within my EFI on my bootdisk? I'll leave the screenshot of that below as well.

Status: 12-04-2018: The Intel i211 PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port is finally working with the help of three kexts attached here: (a) FakePCIID.kext, (b) FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext, (c) SmallTreeIntel82576.kext. Copy items (a) and (b) to CLOVER/kexts/Other, but copy item (c) to CLOVER/kexts/10.14. (Thanks @pastrychef for the hint.)
How do I implement these KEXTS to my OpenCore EFI folder to activate the 2nd ethernet?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.07.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.07.29 PM.png
    181 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9489.jpg
    IMG_9489.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Glad to hear it. Regarding MultiBeast, the answer depends on whether MSR 0xE2 has been unlocked.
  • If MSR 0xE2 is locked (default) then MultiBeast setup is shown in the spoiler on Post #1 entitled Post-Installation with MultiBeast 11.2.0. This apples to 11.3.0-x as well.
It has not been unlocked. I think its writing ram files on my HD. how do I unlock it?

Thank you, Casey, for putting together this guide. I just finished this build using OC 0.5.9 and everything is working like a real Mac. I built my own SSDTs and USBMap.kext and the system has been rock solid. I used your TB-V4 SSDT, and that's been working great using my 4K TB monitor and Caldigit. But, now, I've read about 100 pages of info on flashing the TB control with the modified ROM. Now, I have a few questions before I commit to this.

I am thinking of using RP4 to flash my Designare TB controller to enable TB Bus.
1. Will there be any speed benefit of doing this flash? Currently, my TB controller is working at 2.5GT/s. Will I get the full 40Gbps?
2. Will there be any downside? Such as not being able to use TB in Windows 10 dual boot? Or potential instability? I use this as a production machine, so stability is the key. Will be purchasing Apollo interface soon.
3. If I remember correctly, after flashing the ROM, I will need to remove the SSDT-Z390-Designare-TB3HP-V4. Do I need a different SSDT to enable the bus? Or will it work out of the box?
4. If I am not adding any additional TB card, I won't need to tinker with the unique ID for my TB interface, correct?
5. Will this process be completely reversible?

That's a lot of questions in one post, but I want to make sure if I have all the bases covered. Thanks again for your tremendous work.

Ver

Back