Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello,

My computer for some reason doesn’t boot anymore. The drive is there but it goes into the bios right away. I wonder what it could be. Drive damaged ? Is there a tool I can run?

Attachments

• 6F825332-6527-4A27-B222-FB4B79186A0E.jpeg
    6F825332-6527-4A27-B222-FB4B79186A0E.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 67
Hi all and @CaseySJ

Im finally doing it! Just flashed my thunderbolt on the Designare, but don't know what I'm doing with the SSDt stuff after.

How do I "Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method."

Edit: To clarify - I'm using Maciasl and am just manuualyn changing the values in the aml file - but when I hit save or compile I just get an error for an unexpected ")" - and I fi remove the offending ")" I then get the error "result is not used..."
My bad. I was using an old version of maciasl. Sry for the bother.

Been scouring this thread for an answer but can’t find it.

If I’m using the flashed/modified on-board Thunderbolt on my Designare, what files should I have in my ACPI/Patched folder in Clover?

As far as I can understand, I should replace SSDT-DTPG, but do I just ADD the TBOLT3-RP05... file and KEEP the older/original SSDT Thunderbolt 3 file for hotplug etc, or remove it?

The Kraken liquid cooler works independently of the operating system, so I think your question is whether we can control the fans, pump, and lighting/LED effects from macOS. The answer to that is not yet. There is a Python-based app called liquidctl that works with the previous generation Kraken coolers, but a driver for the new Z63 has not yet been developed. The driver is pending, however.

Soon liquidctl version 1.4.0 will be released. Among other enhancements, it will support the new X series: X53, X63, X73. It may also support Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0.
appreciate your consideration thank you!

That's great! Just for my own clarity, two questions: (1) you have 2 Apple Thunderbolt Displays working on your rig without any modifications to the card, right?, and (2) to be sure, what card did you buy? (Link please).

Yes - card was as supplied. No flashing / modification required, although I did reduce / remove all TB security blocks in BIOS settings. Cant remember if I had to do this first before the screens worked as I had a normal DP monitor connected to test at first (no longer needed so 100% on the TB displays).

Set up is i5-9600KF, Designare Z390 + RX590 graphics card + GB Alpine Ridge card. AR card not connected to any header as none on MB in PCIe slot furthest from CPU. Two display port in loops from RX590 into Alpine Ridge then Apple TB3-TB2 connector to display 1, display 2 daisy chained to display 1 TB1 port. Displays work in extend mode (e.g not just two copies of same screen).

I do have a 2nd TB3 - TB2 adapter, originally tried to connect both displays directly but only one works in this config. Not sure where issue here lies (graphics card vs AR card vs monitor) but daisy chain works so happy with that.

The other bits of the display dont work (camera, speakers, mic) at this point - there is a potential fix suggested but not yet tried this out.

Card is the GB alpine ridge card:

Purchased on Ebay - search for:

GIGABYTE GC-ALPINE RIDGE (Rev 2.0) Thunderbolt3 Certified PCI-E Expansion card

Took about 1 month to get to UK from Taiwan seller.

Let me know if any other questions

Just reverted over and boot-override to the EFI for the backup as well as booting into the backup on 10.15.3 gonna use it a bit and see if I start to see any of the same.

So far I haven't had it happen, and I've been running it for over 20 mins I would have experienced it a bit by now on my main drive.
Could it be caused by the KEXT updates I did?

Kexts- Backup
AppleALC v. 1.4.7
IntelMausi v. 1.0.2
Lilu v. 1.4.2
SmallTreeIntel82576 v. 1.0
SMCProcessor v. 1.1.1
SMCSuperIO v. 1.1.1
USBInjectAll v. 0.7.1
VirtualSMC v. 1.1.1
WhateverGreen v. 1.3.7

Kexts- Main
AppleALC v. 1.5.0
IntelMausi v. 1.0.3
Lilu v. 1.4.5
SmallTreeIntel82576 v. 1.0
SMCProcessor v. 1.1.4
SMCSuperIO v. 1.1.4
USBInjectAll v. 0.7.1
VirtualSMC v. 1.1.4
WhateverGreen v. 1.4.0
First of all, good job for having a 10.15.3 backup!! Really important to keep a functional backup until we're certain that the updated system is stable.

Second, if the only differences between 10.15.3 and 10.15.5 are the kexts and macOS itself, then I would tend to blame the kexts... Let's make sure 10.15.3 is still stable.

I'm currently using patched NVM50 (GC-TITAN-RIDGE_rev50_Elias64Fr). I cannot get the DP port on dock to work consistently, but otherwise everything else is working without problems.
This is one of the reasons for this post in which I tested DisplayPort from TB3 dock and HDMI from USB-C hub, but both were connected to flashed on-board Titan Ridge (not an add-in card). Even sleep/wake works. The monitor used for the experiment, however, was a regular 1440p model, not a Thunderbolt monitor. I just wanted to prove to myself whether video ports would work through docks and hubs.

Hi all and @CaseySJ

Im finally doing it! Just flashed my thunderbolt on the Designare, but don't know what I'm doing with the SSDt stuff after.

How do I "Save this into your Thunderbolt SSDT, in the NHI0._DSM method."

Edit: To clarify - I'm using Maciasl and am just manuualyn changing the values in the aml file - but when I hit save or compile I just get an error for an unexpected ")" - and I fi remove the offending ")" I then get the error "result is not used..."
My bad. I was using an old version of maciasl. Sry for the bother.
Wonderful -- are you using modified NVM33 or Elias' new NVM50 that was adapted from the Z490 Vision D?

This is one of the reasons for this post in which I tested DisplayPort from TB3 dock and HDMI from USB-C hub, but both were connected to flashed on-board Titan Ridge (not an add-in card). Even sleep/wake works. The monitor used for the experiment, however, was a regular 1440p model, not a Thunderbolt monitor. I just wanted to prove to myself whether video ports would work through docks and hubs.
I can hot plug to the DP port on my dock, and I believe that works every time. It will not work on boot though.

Back