Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Attached is a modified version of your EFI. It may or may not work. Some things to try:
  • Backup or rename your existing EFI.
  • Try the attached one as-is.
  • If boot fails, uncheck SSDT-EC from ACPI section and try again.
  • Post your DSDT.aml

Hi Casey,

Thank you so much for making EFI for me. I tried with your EFI, and still experiencing similar issues (with SSDT-EC on, the output shows some component loaded successfully but still stuck at some point). However, with/without SSDT-EC on, it gave different output. I have attached two photos, the first one is with SSDT-EC on, the second one is without SSDT-EC on.

Currently, I have three PCI-E devices: Gigabyte RX 5700XT, Fenvi T919 (which claims plug-and-play with MacOS, but I haven't plug Bluetooth USB into the motherboard, and I will plug it in once I got the internal USB splitter from Amazon), a 10GBE NIC came with the motherboard (from what I learned from its driver on Windows, it is the same as other ASUS's 10GBE NIC using an Aquantia 10GBE chip, which should be working with MacOS, but we will see). On BIOS setting, I disabled Fast Boot, VT-d, CSM, Thunderbolt (will work on this once I get MacOS installed properly), Intel SGX. But there is no CFG Lock option on ASUS Bios setting, so I think I have to set True on AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock in my plist file. For the options I enabled, I enabled Above 4G decoding, Hyper-threading, XHCI Hand-off, and iGPU memory preservation with 64MB. I connect my display to RX 5700XT with a displayport cable. I have also attached my DSDT file below if it helps.

Output with SSDT-EC on:
IMG_4419.jpg

Output with SSDT-EC off:
IMG_1421.jpg

Attachments

• DSDT.dsl
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
I'm waiting for the ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator to arrive. I don't expect a guide or build description to be published for a couple of weeks as this build will be my first OpenCore effort. So, if you're all set to go. Do it. Be sure to give @CaseySJ and me update on your efforts.

Hi Stork, sure I will post my efforts on this motherboard here. One thing I want to mention is that I previously experienced system random blackout or freezing problems with the AMD RX 5700 XT on Windows (I know it is kinda weird to talk about issues on Windows here), which made me had to replace my 50th-anniversary edition to the Gigabyte OC 5700XT, which still experienced hardware failures and AMD driver issues randomly until I updated my BIOS to 0603 version - the latest version that is just released yesterday. If you have a similar problem with your new motherboard, you may want to update your BIOS to the latest version as well. For me, the latest version does fix my issues for both 5700XT graphics cards. I am now considering return one of my 5700XT.:think::think::think:

So I think all of the steps in your guide are fine except that last one. Am I overlooking something? :)
you're absolutely right!!
Edited the post, thank you!

This has been coming up somewhat frequently of late. First check list:
  • Check if CFG-LOCK (MSR 0xE2) is still locked or better yet, update firmware (BIOS) to F9h (see last one or two pages for download link). MSR 0xE2 is unlocked by default in F9h.
  • Updating the firmware also has the effect of resetting CMOS, so it's a good 'detox' for the system. We need to configure BIOS parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

As always the mighty @CaseySJ to the rescue again!

Even though I haven't touched BIOS in, like, forever I flashed F9H and then loaded optimized defaults and now it seems to be booting fine.

I had previously unlocked MSR 0xE2 and like I said I haven't really done any low level stuff in a while so while I can't explain it it (seems) like the bios update did the trick (new BIOS is sort of trippy --A big change from my previous which It think was F7

Thanks

-John

I agree -- it's best to download and install Firmware version F9h. Click here and choose the file shown:

View attachment 473910

Then configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults. MSR 0xE2 is already unlocked with this version.

After this, if you encounter any issues, just let us know.

By the way, where is your full bootable backup? Didn't make one? Do you see why we keep asking everyone to make a bootable backup...
Hello Casey

well I am located in India and I think these are all beta version let me give it a try with this one and update you.

why are you not using Bios F9g or h beta version? with this version CF-Lock is disabled by default
Well I am In India and I was not getting any information about the bios on official website of gigabyte last updated bio I can see is F9B that's why I am not aware about the other versions

the built is awesome .I just wanted to ask if I can use z390 aorus pro wifi motherboard instead of designare because of the cost.Thanks in advance for the advice.

Inqnuam
beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
and have dt 770 pro and
audi technika

and I hear audio distortion everywhere over the boxes were mouse noises at the beginning to detect dan I pin three on the xlr cable and the mouse noises are gone but the kinister is still there and easily audio dropouts in the recording can do that on power supply be quiet dark power pro 11 550w liegn because there is a triple plug installed and with the mac mini only the 2 without earth do that?

This has been coming up somewhat frequently of late. First check list:
  • Check if CFG-LOCK (MSR 0xE2) is still locked or better yet, update firmware (BIOS) to F9h (see last one or two pages for download link). MSR 0xE2 is unlocked by default in F9h.
  • Updating the firmware also has the effect of resetting CMOS, so it's a good 'detox' for the system. We need to configure BIOS parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

Dude... F9h has thrown my system into a loop where it jumps to the screen with this message constantly: 'Clear CMOS Information: BIOS has been reset. Please re-config your BIOS setup items if needed.'

I can't even get into the BIOS, and if I hit End to jump to Qflash, it jumps back to the message above before I can do anything. As soon as I close the message, I just get a black screen...
Any tips on recovering? I had a working Open Core install in my first few hours before this... damn.

I've already removed 1 RAM stick and going to try removing the RX580 next.

Back