RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Inqnuam Did you use a raspberry pie to flash and did you use anything other than the clip and the breakout board?

@snoby

I have flashed the TB3 chips on two Gigabyte Designare Z390 boards, two GC-Titan Ridge boards, one GC-Alpine Ridge board, one ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac board, and one Intel NUC 7 board. All using a Raspberry Pi 4.

I can confirm that this can be a very challenging experience.

I used the Pomona 5250 clip initially which seemed to work well on most boards. When I tried that clip on the NUC 7 it just wouldn't grab that chip properly. I then moved to the "cheaper" clip CaseySJ suggested in his wonderful flashing mini-guide which grabbed the NUC 7 chip better.

At one point I decided to try to re-flash the NUC 7 back to the original firmware. I never could get the chip to be recognized. I tried different clips, different wiring, PSU plugged in, not plugged in. Literally at least 15 - 20 tries. Each try is time consuming - getting the clip "perfectly" attached, booting the RPI, entering the terminal command, and finding the chip wasn't recognized, shutting down the RPI, re-clipping.....

I finally just (temporarily) gave up and left the NUC 7 with the modified firmware which isn't much, if any, improvement over the original firmware.

I thought perhaps I had damaged the RPI by shorting one of the connectors to it. So I purchased another RPI which at some point I will try again to see if it works.

I also bought some spare clips. It looks like the tiny connectors that attach to the chip are very fragile and may become mis-aligned.

So sometimes it takes some people extreme perseverance to flash those darn chips. But it feels SO good when it works!

Good luck!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Yeah I'm not going to declare success yet, seems the shasum's don't match on the read. Is there a good way to search this forum? I would like to find what resister and cap I need to solder on to the board to help with stability.
resistor and all.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I then moved to the "cheaper" clip CaseySJ suggested in his wonderful flashing mini-guide which grabbed the NUC 7 chip better.
I used this one
soic.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
CPU
i5-8350K
Graphics
Radeon RX 570 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Hey everyone!
I tried to mod the original Thunderbolt firmware using this forum but I can't get the hang of it and can use a little help from you guys.

Here's the dump from the original THU firmware.
(MBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7)
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• THU_GBZ170XG7orig.bin.zip
    282 KB · Views: 35
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Yeah I'm not going to declare success yet, seems the shasum's don't match on the read. Is there a good way to search this forum? I would like to find what resister and cap I need to solder on to the board to help with stability.
check this post and this

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
@snoby maybe you have problem with a cable or cables, if you have some other cables try by changing them, also check if they are correctly and fully inserted to the Pi pins, have a look to the Pi pins too

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Parts and wiring diagram located in this post:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not sure but I think this post

says the benefits and purpose, but it isn't clear, what is being hex edited.... I think it's an aml file.

Honestly there is SO much information in this post it really should be a wiki.
We'll get to that later. Just focus on getting 3 consecutive (and identical) reads.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Parts and wiring diagram located in this post:
I was searching for this post about 2h :lol: :beachball::banghead:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey everyone!
I tried to mod the original Thunderbolt firmware using this forum but I can't get the hang of it and can use a little help from you guys.

Here's the dump from the original THU firmware.
(MBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7)
Thanks in advance.
This is from an on-board Alpine Ridge ?