Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@mm2margaret,

Thank you very much for the post and the beta version of Carbon Copy Cloner.

To quote a current much overused phrase we've all heard lately: we're all in this together.....

Apple has a history of adding late changes to a release that are not in the Betas.....I really wish they would stop doing that.

I am testing the CCC beta now. Will let you know how it goes.....

EDIT: Before I posted this, last night, I tried SuperDuper, in hopes it was an issue only with CCC. It wasn't and it isn't. SuperDuper backups produced the same issue....so this issue is more widespread than CCC (I don't have a license for SuperDuper, so I'm going with the beta of CCC as that is my long time licensed backup software).

Last edited:
Hello,
i would like to say thank you for all your hard work!!

I just installed my first Hackintosh ever, and thank you again!

My config:
iMac19,1
Case Be quiet! 801 (BG029)
PSU Be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W
Z390 Designare, (Bios updated to F9g)
I9-9900KF,
Crucial 16Go (2x8Go) 3200Mhz BL2K8G32C16U4B
Saphire RX 5700 XT Nitro Plus - first slot x16
Samsung 970 EVO Plus (updated to the last firmware) - installed on M2M
Fenvi FV-HB1200 (Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard working even in the Clover Boot menu)
UAD Apollo Twin Quad MKII with TB3 -> TB2 Apple Adapter
i followed the "Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer" with the "May 2020 Update" files

iCloud, Connectivity Hand Off AirDrop Airplay, LAN, Thunderbolt all working, thank you again! :)

I would like to use Thunderbolt full Apple Functionalities (Bridge, Target Mode..)

i have a question about this:

If System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you.

This is concerning flashed firmware or the original one?

And please can someone help me with the Radeonboost.kext ? i tried to install as in the guide but the OS don't boot after Clover Boot menu, only a black screen, not even the Apple Logo, so i made again a new fresh install.

Thank you again guys!!

Last edited:
Yes that is normal.
Good news! :)

I am so grateful for your help!
I want to understand you well, so please forgive me next bunch of (maybe silly) questions..

CLOVER folder shows many missing files in ACPI/patched and several missing/unnecessary drivers in kexts/Other.
I did my best to follow your guide directly step by step paying attention not to jump over any point. It looks like I did it anyway… :banghead:
The worst thing is that, when I read this guide now from very beginning over and over again I can find only exact the same infos as at the beginning of my way.
E.g. any descriptions of the ACPI patches that I can find are placed only once in section config.plist Modification
in spoiler Guide to modifying config.plist for USB install disk where you are writing about USB port limit patches giving choice between using Four USB port limit patches for 10.14.5 and newer only method or SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml and SSDT-EC.aml with USBInjectAll.kext files.

To use iGPU for video (because you're not using AMD GPU) it's necessary to add the HDMI patch described in Going the Extra Mile.

The Going the Extra Mile section I understood as recommended for Final Cut Pro X or iMovie users which I am not.
Moreover I have read, that:
If you must use HDMI with the internal GPU (iGPU), the installation procedure will still work, but during Post-Installation you must apply the framebuffer patch described in the section Using the UHD 630 to Drive HDMI and DP Monitors.
…so I thought that until I can’t get to the Post-Installation stage I do not have to read it. Now I know, that I have to. :)
What files are in /Library/Extensions? After copying files into this folder, was Kext Utility run in order to rebuild kernel caches?
I don’t know which files do you mean? Perhaps this is stupid question, but after making a USB install drive (using Unibeast) I can't find any such folder on it.
I thought that it is created during OS target install. Or maybe do you mean /Library/Extensions folder on my High Sierra laptop where I am preparing USB stick for Mojave installation on Z390?
Because of new restrictions in Catalina, it's actually better to install all Hackintosh kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other even when installing Mojave. This simplifies future upgrades.

That’s very important information. Thanku you. My audio plugins are now Mojave- compatible only and that’s why I am trying to install this version of MacOS. But of course its better to make this build also Catalina- friendly. ;) I would love to know, where to find complete proper kexts pack for this build (if there is any..) :)
It would be good to review this post, which allows you to create a new USB boot disk (not USB install disk). Just skip the steps related to downloading and copying the macOS installer.
Am I right, that you advise me to follow this micro-guide mainly for unlocking MSR 0xE2? Is this the point? Because I do not have any machine with Mojave already installed and I do not want to install Catalina.

Maybe my main problem is that I can’t use your guide properly? 
How to read it to not omit any important stage?

Although they should be the same, I'm using EFI Agent instead of Clover Configurator to mount EFI. If an EFI folder exists there, it should be deleted first and trash should be emptied before copying the entire EFI folder from USB.
Hmmm, just tried that. Did empty the trash before copying over. Still the same. On a positive note, it boots super fast when it does lol. I can work this way for awhile as I sort it out. On another positive note, Face time, iMessage are all working when I had glitches in Mojave. Can't wait to hear how the Z490 build goes.

Hello,
i would like to say thank you for all your hard work!!

I just installed my first Hackintosh ever, and thank you again!
Glad to hear it!
I would like to use Thunderbolt full Apple Functionalities (Bridge, Target Mode..)

i have a question about this:

This is concerning flashed firmware or the original one?
That is for unfleshed firmware. After firmware is flashed, System Information --> Thunderbolt will display Thunderbolt Bus information. Then you're ready to modify the Thunderbolt DROM as the final step.
And please can someone help me with the Radeonboost.kext ? i tried to install as in the guide but the OS don't boot after Clover Boot menu, only a black screen, not even the Apple Logo, so i made again a new fresh install.
We have not seen improvements in real-world applications so far, so it's better not to use RadeonBoost if the system does not boot.

Thank you for the quick answer

That is for unfleshed firmware. After firmware is flashed, System Information --> Thunderbolt will display Thunderbolt Bus information. Then you're ready to modify the Thunderbolt DROM as the final step.

So in my case it's impossible to flash the firmware?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 16.17.42.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 16.17.42.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 92
Thank you for the quick answer

So in my case it's impossible to flash the firmware?
No -- you must flash the firmware first. Then System Information --> Thunderbolt will show Thunderbolt Bus. Like this:
  1. Flash the Thunderbolt firmware.
  2. Then check if Thunderbolt Bus is activated.
  3. If it is, then modify Thunderbolt DROM.
Remember that Thunderbolt (a) firmware and (b) DROM are two different things.

No -- you must flash the firmware first. Then System Information --> Thunderbolt will show Thunderbolt Bus. Like this:
  1. Flash the Thunderbolt firmware.
  2. Then check if Thunderbolt Bus is activated.
  3. If it is, then modify Thunderbolt DROM.
Remember that Thunderbolt (a) firmware and (b) DROM are two different things.

Thank your sir!!

i'll buy all required components to flash it then.

Good news! :)

I am so grateful for your help!
I want to understand you well, so please forgive me next bunch of (maybe silly) questions..

I did my best to follow your guide directly step by step paying attention not to jump over any point. It looks like I did it anyway… :banghead:
The worst thing is that, when I read this guide now from very beginning over and over again I can find only exact the same infos as at the beginning of my way.
E.g. any descriptions of the ACPI patches that I can find are placed only once in section config.plist Modification
in spoiler Guide to modifying config.plist for USB install disk where you are writing about USB port limit patches giving choice between using Four USB port limit patches for 10.14.5 and newer only method or SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml and SSDT-EC.aml with USBInjectAll.kext files.

The Going the Extra Mile section I understood as recommended for Final Cut Pro X or iMovie users which I am not.
Moreover I have read, that:

…so I thought that until I can’t get to the Post-Installation stage I do not have to read it. Now I know, that I have to. :)

I don’t know which files do you mean? Perhaps this is stupid question, but after making a USB install drive (using Unibeast) I can't find any such folder on it.
I thought that it is created during OS target install. Or maybe do you mean /Library/Extensions folder on my High Sierra laptop where I am preparing USB stick for Mojave installation on Z390?

That’s very important information. Thanku you. My audio plugins are now Mojave- compatible only and that’s why I am trying to install this version of MacOS. But of course its better to make this build also Catalina- friendly. ;) I would love to know, where to find complete proper kexts pack for this build (if there is any..) :)

Am I right, that you advise me to follow this micro-guide mainly for unlocking MSR 0xE2? Is this the point? Because I do not have any machine with Mojave already installed and I do not want to install Catalina.

Maybe my main problem is that I can’t use your guide properly? 
How to read it to not omit any important stage?
I think it would be easier to follow the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide, but instead of downloading the Catalina installer, just download the Mojave installer.

Back