Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Great, so i have options at least. :)

For monitors, i have a single Asus 27" 1440p 144hz Gaming screen with both Displayport and HDMI inputs (switchable), and a 4k TV with HDMI 2.1.

When you say "USB-C to DisplayPort cable", would that be the USB-C connection from the internal Thunderbolt 3 port, ran out to displayport of monitor? You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on Thunderbolt connections. And otherwise a regular HDMI > HDMI from iGPU to monitor/tv? (but with some extra work patching?)
We can use any USB-C to DisplayPort cable that is rated for 4K60 such as this one. It connects directly from the rear IO panel (use any of the two TB3 ports) to the monitor. To the the HDMI port, simply follow this guide from Post #1:

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 5.59.52 AM.png
Finally, is information regarding how to disable the 2080 via SSDT/Frame Buffer Patching posted in the first page of this thread, or should i be looking elsewhere for info on this? Again, sorry if i sound silly, this is my first Hackintosh since about 2008 or so when i first attempted it!
To disable or hide the Nvidia GPU in Slot 1, just copy this SSDT to CLOVER/ACPI/patched (located at the end of Post #1):

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.02.11 AM.png

@faithie999 Totally understand you!

Since last summer I'm using attached SSDT-Z390-TB3HP.aml (kindly made by @CaseySJ for all of us, link should be also available in post #1 of this thread). No problems at all with my Apple Thunderbolt Display. Very consistent and stable experience. All functions you mentioned: display, camera, mic and built-in speakers are working flawlessly every time you need it (cold boot, reboot, wake from sleep, etc).

The only benefit of activating Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus (with all those steps you mentioned) I recently noticed was finally being able to control brightness via F1/F2 keys without display glitching or blinking. Seems like macOS uses this Local Node / TB Bus structure to obtain / send additional control information to Apple Thunderbolt Display.

In all other aspects, Apple Thunderbolt Display working really good with GC-Alpine Ridge and SSDT-Z390-TB3HP.aml without any special modifications.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-TB3HP.aml
    5.6 KB · Views: 88
@faithie999 Totally understand you!

Since last summer I'm using attached SSDT-Z390-TB3HP.aml (kindly made by @CaseySJ for all of us, link should be also available in post #1 of this thread). No problems at all with my Apple Thunderbolt Display. Very consistent and stable experience.

The only benefit of activating Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus (with all those steps you mentioned) I recently noticed was finally being able to control brightness via F1/F2 keys without display glitching or blinking. Seems like macOS uses this Local Node / TB Bus structure to obtain / send additional control information to Apple Thunderbolt Display.

In all other aspects, Apple Thunderbolt Display working really good with GC-Alpine Ridge and SSDT-Z390-TB3HP.aml without any special modifications.
is your GC-AR unflashed?

@faithie999 Yep, no modifications at all. Just inserted the card and connected the display via Apple's TB3/TB2 adapter. Display fired up right from the moment I pressed power button on my pc. So, no problems for almost a year.

@CaseySJ

Well, well, well: Major bug in the released version of 10.15.5. My words about how reliable and stable the released version of 10.15.5 would be ("only time will tell...") on a previous post were prophetic. Here's some confirmation of Mike Bombich of Carbon Copy Cloner:

Mike B. (Bombich Software)
May 28, 2020, 8:46:19 AM EDT

Hi Meagan,
Yes, Apple introduced a bug in 10.15.5 that prevents new CCC backups from functioning correctly as a startup disk. We explain the matter, and the work we've been doing to work around this OS bug here:
A bug in macOS 10.15.5 impacts bootable backups, but we've got you covered

Apple introduced this bug very late in the 10.15.5 beta cycle, so we've had very little time to react to this change. Our new functionality is currently in beta testing. You can get the 5.1.18 beta release here. After replacing your copy of CCC with the 5.1.18 beta, open CCC and do the following:

CCC Beta Release notes

1. Click the "X" button in the Destination selector box to clear the destination selection
  2. Click on the Destination selector and reselect your destination volume
Erasing the destination is the option that will produce a bootable backup. Please proceed with that and let me know if you encounter any problems.

Mike Bombich

Bombich Software, Inc.

I have attached the beta for those of us who use Carbon Copy Cloner just in case the link provided to me in the e-mail doesn't work for all.....

Attachments

• ccc-5.1.18-b1.6002.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 93
Well. I thought I was there lol.
  • We'll make this really simple.
  • Run Clover Configurator which was copied to the USB flash disk in Step 1.
    • Click Mount EFI on left sidebar of Clover Configurator
    • Mount EFI partitions of (a) USB flash disk and (b) Catalina SSD.
    • Copy the entire EFI Folder from EFI partition of USB disk to EFI partition of Catalina SSD.
I get kernel panics and cant boot if I boot from the Catalina drive (Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB) . But if I boot from USB then have clover boot from Catalina it is smooth as silk. When I mount the Catalina EFI it says EFI on APFS Container (Catalina - Data, Preboot, Recovery, VM, Catalina). Am I missing something here?

THanks!
Jules

@mm2margaret,

Thank you very much for the post and the beta version of Carbon Copy Cloner.

Well. I thought I was there lol.
I get kernel panics and cant boot if I boot from the Catalina drive (Samsung SSD 970 EVO 2TB) . But if I boot from USB then have clover boot from Catalina it is smooth as silk. When I mount the Catalina EFI it says EFI on APFS Container (Catalina - Data, Preboot, Recovery, VM, Catalina). Am I missing something here?

THanks!
Jules
Although they should be the same, I'm using EFI Agent instead of Clover Configurator to mount EFI. If an EFI folder exists there, it should be deleted first and trash should be emptied before copying the entire EFI folder from USB.

Back