Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes it should be fine. At least one person has already done so, but they warned that RadeonBoost kext must be removed prior to updating. It can be copied back afterwards.

Also make a full bootable backup prior to updating.

I've updated and didn't remove the RadeonBoost.kext. I only have a lowly 580 so not sure if the kext helps with anything but it is there (for the time being anyway). I set the update going from System Prefs and when I remoted in 30 minutes later (couldn't be bothered to go upstairs) it was all up and running fine.

deleted...

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I noticed that you don't need AirportBrcmFixup.kext for BCM94360 to work.

Cleary these work OTB because they're native but in order to get the handoff option to appear in System Preferences and to make the proper device ARPT in IOReg I found I needed the kext. Am I missing something? Is it because mine is a 4331?

(4360 comes in the mail Friday btw)

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ I noticed that you don't need AirportBrcmFixup.kext for BCM94360 to work.

Cleary these work OTB because they're native but in order to get the handoff option to appear in System Preferences and to make the proper device ARPT in IOReg I found I needed the kext. Am I missing something? Is it because mine is a 4331?

(4360 comes in the mail Friday btw)
AirportBrcmFixup is not technically needed for BCM94360, but some say it provides slightly better reliability or speed. I have tried with and without and found no difference, so my inclination is to exclude it. I'm disabling USB port HS14 because the Intel CNVi Bluetooth is wired to this port (same as Z390 Designare).

You may also notice that the NO-CNVW SSDT is not used in the Vision D build. That's because Vision D's DSDT already contains a _DSM() method for PCI0.CNVW and I've not seen any issue by keeping PCI0.CNVW active. But it is certainly possible to create an ACPI rename just for CNVW._DSM and hide the WiFi device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @CaseySJ will there be an update to post #1 heading for users upgrading to 10.15.5?
Outside of the radeonboost is there any need to knows prior to updating?
Updates to clover or can I leave clover alone and just update kexts?

Also PS- now you all are making me want to build another rig based on the z490 just for the heck of it Wish someone needed one so I could build and test it just for the frustration and enjoyment.
This is like golf awesome when it’s on point and frustrating the next second haha

AirportBrcmFixup is not technically needed for BCM94360, but some say it provides slightly better reliability or speed. I have tried with and without and found no difference, so my inclination is to exclude it. I'm disabling USB port HS14 because the Intel CNVi Bluetooth is wired to this port (same as Z390 Designare).

You may also notice that the NO-CNVW SSDT is not used in the Vision D build. That's because Vision D's DSDT already contains a _DSM() method for PCI0.CNVW and I've not seen any issue by keeping PCI0.CNVW active. But it is certainly possible to create an ACPI rename just for CNVW._DSM and hide the WiFi device.

I did notice! Heh, I wonder if they read this thread and "got the message."

Interesting. So as is, does your BCM94360 show up as an ARPT device under RPXX along with the Handoff option?

I did notice! Heh, I wonder if they read this thread and "got the message."

Interesting. So as is, does your BCM94360 show up as an ARPT device under RPXX along with the Handoff option?

No kext, all working, SSDT-Z390-ARPT.aml.
Captură de ecran din 2020-05-28 la 03.17.20.png

No kext, all working, SSDT-Z390-ARPT.aml.
View attachment 472014

Ohhh, but the SSDT is doing the work there hiding PXSX and creating device ARPT. Do you have the hand off option in System Preferences?

For me, I can get it to populate via SSDT however it does not give me the hand off option until I add the fixup. This is in regards to the 4331. I'll see whats up with the BCM94360 on Friday!

Whats confusing me is I don't see that SSDT in the Z390 or Z490 EFI.

"Alpine Mania" continues. I have tried @CaseySJ 's call to Method MMRP on the Asrock z370itx/ac and it works with a minor tweak. The FieldUnitObjects RPS0 and RPT0 that exist in Z390 DSDT's don't exist in Z370 tables, where they can be replaced with TBSE. This takes away the need to do the address calculation for the first line of the MMBA method. If this works for other owners of Z370 boards I'll edit the quick guide with updated instructions for Z390 and Z370 motherboards...

@dgsga Got my hands on a used Z370 ASRock + 8700K. What NVM version are you on for the built-in AC on ASRock Z370 ITX? I'm on NVM v8 and can't seem to get TB3 working at all :( No TB3 functionality, no TB3 Tree nothing. TB3 works fine on Windows. GPIO3 Force Pwr and ACPI RMV are both set to true.

I'll post detailed logs later but wondering if my NVM version is too old.

Also, does the NVM20 update for Z390 ITX TB3 work with the Z370 ITX board?

Ohhh, but the SSDT is doing the work there hiding PXSX and creating device ARPT. Do you have the hand off option in System Preferences?

For me, I can get it to populate via SSDT however it does not give me the hand off option until I add the fixup. This is in regards to the 4331. I'll see whats up with the BCM94360 on Friday!

Whats confusing me is I don't see that SSDT in the Z390 or Z490 EFI.

Like you can see.......
Captură de ecran din 2020-05-28 la 03.35.39.png

Back