1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ and @NorthAmTransAm

@tonymacx86 is getting this motherboard and will put together a Build Description.

I, too, am sorely tempted to get this motherboard.
Wonderful! We can help to modify the Thunderbolt firmware assuming someone extracts it from their shiny new board... :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

New user here. I have a hopefully simple question relating to building a Hackintosh out of my new system.

Z390 Designare
RTX 2080 Super

As I am a gamer as well as interested in Music Production (with an Apollo setup), I would ideally like to keep the RTX 2080 Super. I have done my research and it isnt compatible with OSX, so i have a few options.

-Remove 2080 and replace with something like RX 580. (and build a gaming rig separate?)
-Spend more and go with RX 5700 XT and dual boot with OSX and Windows? (but 2080 is rendered useless which is not preferable!)
-Disable 2080 via BIOS (or OSX Hack) and use onboard iGPU (harder to support Natively?)

Sorry if its been discussed in this thread already but ive done my searching to no avail on the subject.

You can disable the RTX when you boot into macOS, via an SSDT in Clover/OC, to disable the slot. In Windows it will work fine. You could then just use the iGPU for macOS or get the RX580 if needed/wanted.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690 Creator WiF
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Okay, so how is it better than NVM33? is it just reliability/stability, or are there some applications, like audio that work better? Or Video apps that work better?
Mostly reliability and stability. I’m yet to boot without my devices recognized. Minor, but positive- I use the audio out of the CalDigit Dock and the audio outputs and levels all stay the same on each boot. NVRAM should make this happen, but on NVM 33 it would lose this functionality.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

New user here. I have a hopefully simple question relating to building a Hackintosh out of my new system.

Z390 Designare
32GB DDR4 3200
1TB Samsung EVO Plus NVMe
1TV Samsung EVO SSD SATA6
RTX 2080 Super

As I am a gamer as well as interested in Music Production (with an Apollo setup), I would ideally like to keep the RTX 2080 Super. I have done my research and it isnt compatible with OSX, so i have a few options.

-Remove 2080 and replace with something like RX 580. (and build a gaming rig separate?)
-Spend more and go with RX 5700 XT and dual boot with OSX and Windows? (but 2080 is rendered useless which is not preferable!)
-Disable 2080 via BIOS (or OSX Hack) and use onboard iGPU (harder to support Natively?)

Sorry if its been discussed in this thread already but ive done my searching to no avail on the subject.

Thank you,
Nathan.
This option is viable:
  • Connect both RTX 2080 and iGPU to one or two monitors.
  • For iGPU, HDMI is limited to 4K30, but USB-C (Thunderbolt ports on the back) support DisplayPort 1.4 (4K60).
  • Then disable RTX 2080 in macOS via SSDT. It can still be used in Windows.
  • Connect iGPU using either HDMI or USB-C to DisplayPort cable. USB-C to DisplayPort is preferred because (a) it does not require frame buffer patching and (b) supports 4K60.
We can help you with the steps.

Motherboard
Asus ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mostly reliability and stability. I’m yet to boot without my devices recognized. Minor, but positive- I use the audio out of the CalDigit Dock and the audio outputs and levels all stay the same on each boot. NVRAM should make this happen, but on NVM 33 it would lose this functionality.

So upgrading to fm50 makes sense. I will give that a go.

Does your cold boot start the CalDigit upon boot?

I know you mentioned
Change boot support from "disabled" to "boot once".
But since I don't have that setting on my motherboard just Enable/Disable I've emailed Asus asking what's their bios setting that allows the cold boot for tb devices.

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4
CPU
i7-12700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So upgrading to fm50 makes sense. I will give that a go.

Does your cold boot start the CalDigit upon boot?

I know you mentioned But since I don't have that setting on my motherboard just Enable/Disable I've emailed Asus asking what's their bios setting that allows the cold boot for tb devices.

My bios settings let me cold boot with a TB Device but I'm on a z370. I can share if it helps.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For new Z490 Vision D Buyers

Until the build guide is published, feel free to ask for a copy of the Z490 Vision D EFI folder (OpenCore 0.5.8). Your help in testing/validating the EFI folder will be helpful.

Motherboard
Gigabyte arous z390e pro wifi
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hello,
I want to build a hackintosh. I went to to Micro Center for help, and they told me its not worth it because Apple is going to start making their own stuff. I'm so lost i need some help!! I want to build a hackintosh so bad but dont know where to start. My budget is 1500$

Thank you!
Felix