Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For new Z490 Vision D Buyers

Until the build guide is published, feel free to ask for a copy of the Z490 Vision D EFI folder (OpenCore 0.5.8). Your help in testing/validating the EFI folder will be helpful.

Sire... Please count me in. I have acquired the Vision D, i5-10400, RX580, 32Gig ram, power supply ect...

I am starting construction around 5pm EST.

Should I utilize the "Experimental OpenCore Mini-Guide for Beta Test Volunteers" instructions as a starting point?

Sire... Please count me in. I have acquired the Vision D, i5-10400, RX580, 32Gig ram, power supply ect...

I am starting construction around 5pm EST.

Should I utilize the "Experimental OpenCore Mini-Guide for Beta Test Volunteers" instructions as a starting point?
Ah, test subject number 1... :)

The OpenCore mini guide won’t work so I’ll send you a new EFI folder and instructions.

To concur what CaseySJ said: Mac has to make sure certain compatibility down the road for a few years. So for Hackintosh, we have at least five years even if Apple completely rebuild everything overnight. The ‘new’ Mac will be an add-on to the current lineup, not a replacement. Micro center guys work in a computer store but they probably don’t know how the whole industry work.
On top of it, don’t forget the internal politics. Mac is no longer the focus point of Apple so they won’t get the resources they had like 15 years ago. Just look the MacOS update in recent years, all kinds of bugs in Windows Vista style.

Please note the following:
  • Apple supports macOS on each type of Mac for about 7 years.
  • Because iMac 19,1 was released in 2019, it means macOS for that model will continue to be supported until about 2026.
  • If you build an Intel-based Mac today, new versions of macOS will be available to you for several years.
  • Apple will not transition the entire Mac product line to their own ARM-based CPUs at once. We believe the low end systems will transition first.
  • Does anything believe that Mac Pro or iMac Pro, for example, will transition to ARM next year or even the year after? It will take some time.
Your budget of $1500 can be used to build a very very capable Hackintosh. Remember that 10th Gen Intel CPUs are cheaper now and all of them are hyper-threaded.

For example:
  • My i7-9700K has 8 cores and 8 threads (see my signature below).
  • For the same price today we can get i7-10700K, which has 8 cores and 16 threads (same as last year's i9-9900K).
  • Even the i5-10600K is a great choice.
  • My Z490 Vision D has the i5-10400 for $194. It has 6 cores and 12 threads. Check it out...
    View attachment 471964
So for $1500 you can build a really high-powered system:
  • Perhaps Z490 Vision D or ASUS Z490 Creator 10G.
    • Both are same price: $299
  • Intel Core i5-10400, i5-10600K, or i7-10700K
    • Prices range between $195 and $425
  • That leaves you with plenty of budget for a good AMD GPU, memory, SSD, cooler, power supply, case, etc.

Wow thank you so much!
I want a decent graphics card for gaming aswell what would you recommend
Your budget even allows for RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT. They’ll work well for games in Windows and are natively compatible with MacOS Catalina (not Mojave).

Just checking in on Clover vs OpenCore. I'm still on Clover, any reason yet to switch? My system is rock solid.

Unfortunately yes. We haven't quite figured out sleep yet and using it, for most of us, breaks the thunderbolt connection thus requiring a shut down and power cable pull.

So, if you're going to put your computer to sleep still I'd suggest using tbforcepower.efi so that you can restart your computer instead of the shutdown power cable pull.

Hmm, that behavior I described is with tbtforcepower.efi being used. Oh wait, I think I understand what you're saying.

Without tbtforcewpower, I would need to do a full power cycle, disconnect power physically, etc.
WITH tbtforcepower, I won't be able to use thunderbolt immediatley upon wake, but a simply restart will bring it back to life, is that right? Or have I got it all wrong.

Just checking in on Clover vs OpenCore. I'm still on Clover, any reason yet to switch? My system is rock solid.

If your system is rock solid then why would you want to change to a system still in alpha/beta?

For now I would stick with what works well for you. You can always load OpenCore onto a USB boot disk and have a play.

Hmm, that behavior I described is with tbtforcepower.efi being used. Oh wait, I think I understand what you're saying.

Without tbtforcewpower, I would need to do a full power cycle, disconnect power physically, etc.
WITH tbtforcepower, I won't be able to use thunderbolt immediatley upon wake, but a simply restart will bring it back to life, is that right? Or have I got it all wrong.

You got it right.

Tbtforcepower.efi is simply going to replace shutting down and unplugging. Our sleep issues are under development.

Most people have no reason to use this driver. I just disable sleep myself.

Ah, test subject number 1... :)

The OpenCore mini guide won’t work so I’ll send you a new EFI folder and instructions.

@CaseySJ Standing by.

Additionally, I see that the i7-10700 is available at micro center.
Would you like me to have this picked up now for testing?
I can use it rather than the i5-10400 that we have presently.

I am ultimately going to use the i9-10900 once I can put my hands on it.

You got it right.

Tbtforcepower.efi is simply going to replace shutting down and unplugging. Our sleep issues are under development.

Most people have no reason to use this driver. I just disable sleep myself.
Awesome, thanks so much. This community is so great and none of this would be possible without the contributors who make it happen. I'm very pleased with the machine. I came from a Mac Pro 2010 and now use this as my main rig in my recording studio. The performance is killer and at a fraction of the price (and additional flexbility!)

Thanks again. I'll keep watching for any progress on the sleep issue.

Back