Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ,
What do you think of this method to enhance Vega or RX ATI card ?
Thanks for your answer

• The 2019 MacBook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, 16 GB memory and 512 GB SSD was $2149.
  • The 2020 version one is $1799, a drop of $350. And it has:
    • Better keyboard :)
    • Better processor
    • Better on-board graphics (70+% faster than UHD 630)
    • Better memory at 3733 MHz and LPDDR4X (lower power consumption)

did you get the i5 or i7 in yours?

Hi @CaseySJ,
What do you think of this method to enhance Vega or RX ATI card ?
Thanks for your answer
Please see the post linked below. I think the SSDT approach and kext approach are both interesting and well worth testing. The most radical improvements have been on synthetic benchmarks and not quite as much on real world operations, but that's where more user testing comes in. Perhaps someone can find a set of real world tasks that truly benefits from this. My guess is that certain photo processing operations will benefit, but not audio or video.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ , when you debug using OpenCore do you find the output files date and time to be off? I'll get a range of date offsets and sometimes they'll even say "tomorrow."

It's only an issue when I'm demoing plugins on the UAD platform. In case you're not familiar the UAD software runs on a proprietary SHARC chip on the UAD Hardware. A reboot can sometimes cause a 14 day demo to expire.

Did you have to work around this? I'm assuming this revolves around RTC.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thanks again for your help - I managed to get my OC 0.5.8 EFI folder working and my system is working well now. I'm having a little trouble with all of my USB ports freezing every now and then. Is this a known problem? If not, would it be worth me disabling some USB ports on my system so I can do away with USBInjectAll? If you think that's a plan, would you be able to give me some pointers, please?

Cheers

@Mace,

I didn't forget about you either...just got distracted by a shiny Apple thing.

Some basic questions:
  • Have you connected a DisplayPort cable from your AMD GPU to DP-In on the motherboard?
  • I can modify the Alpine Ridge firmware for your motherboard, but some questions:
    • You provided a file called GIGABYTE_GA_X99_Designare_EX_AR_HR_4C_B1_rev21_W_Ti_1_7_6_SEC1_sign.bin
    • This contains 0x48000 bytes (288 KiB), but the size of the chip is 0x100000 (1 MiB)
    • We cannot flash 288 KiB into 1 MiB. However, I can add extra 0xFF bytes to the rest of the file
    • But you will still need an external SPI ROM reader/programmer (CH341a or Raspberry Pi)
Hi,@CaseySJ
I am very happy that you have not forgotten me.

Yes, I have plugged in the DP-IN port of the motherboard. If SSDT is not used, everything is normal, but there is no Thunderbolt Bus.

I have a CH341a programmer, it would be great if you could help me modify the firmware, thank you very much, this firmware can be used, I don’t know why it is only 288KB, my GC-AR V2 AIC firmware is also less than 1MB, please Fill the remaining space with 0xFF.

There is also a problem. When using SSDT, if it is a hot restart, nothing will be loaded under BR1B. Thunderbolt cannot be used, only cold boot can be loaded.

Thank you again for your help!

My Designare broke a week ago, one of the parts just fell off the board - very weird. They have a 3 year guarantee and Amazon said they would send me another one. The delivery was originally going to be mid-end June due to a shortage of them. However, every day Amazon emailed me bringing forward the expected delivery date. As of yesterday I should expect it to be delivered this Tuesday, 18th May.

So if it is saying temporarily out of stock, it may be worth buying one from Amazon and seeing when it is likely to be delivered. You won't lose out as you can cancel at any time and they don't take your money until they dispatch. Give it a few days and see if they bring the date closer as they have with mine.

I'm in the UK but will probably be the same wherever you are.

Wow, I had no idea Amazon honored manufacture warranties...how did you do that?

Sounds quite exhaustive already, but let me ask if you also tried using different set of ATX power supply cables. I once shorted two pins on a cable, causing the pins to melt and fuse together.

Before I ever put a board into a case I always just fire it up quickly, go into the BIOS and, if possible, update it to the latest using QFlash, Bootable USB or whatever the board uses. This is just a quick way for me to test that I should be OK mounting the board and installing/connecting all the additional hardware.

I just unbox, sit the board on the antistatic sleeve that it comes in and sit that on the box. Install the CPU and RAM and connect the power cables. If it is an Intel CPU, I use a Noctua heatsink and if an AMD CPU I use the heatsink in the box. I change this over to water cooling when I install in the case - the only reason being I think they look nicer, the actual performance is probably about the same but I have never got round to actually testing it. No doubt there are thousands of YouTube videos stating that both methods are better - I have better things to do than watch loads of those.:)

I tried all the above that I mentioned earlier, CPU, No CPU, RAM in various slots etc etc. My PSU only had 1 of the CPU power connectors but my son's had 2, so I used his when I tried the second time round with the additional 4 pin CPU connector plugged in (only really used for extreme overclocking I believe).

I'll just put it down to bad luck on my part. As you said, they will have sold a great deal of these boards and if the failure rate was even above a minimal number there would be uproar on the interweb. Just like today, just about every traffic light I approached turned red as I neared them. Out of about 50 sets that I went through I probably had to stop at 45.:(

Wow, I had no idea Amazon honored manufacture warranties...how did you do that?

Point them to the manufacturer's web site where it says that they will only deal with distributors, and as a consumer I must contact the seller. :)

Back