Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Hello Casey .... say I am migrating my hardware to a new case and I was wondering if my current configuration will allow me to use the USB3.1C header on my Designare Z390 for additional SSD NVME I have included the picture of the SSD external drive holder and my configurations
Yes it should work with the existing EFI/CLOVER setup. The USB SSDT already enables SS01, which is the USB 3.x super speed port on the front of the PC case.

Last edited:
@Elias64Fr or @CaseySJ - thought I would just try and follow up on an earlier post by @gandem....Any news on NVM 51? Just curious if any progress has been made there....

btw, my real Mac (16,1) has a TB NVM of 55.3.....
Elias provided three or four variations of NVM 51, but they did not perform any better than NVM 23 or 33. But one of the esteemed mad scientists around here could cross-pollinate Apple's NVM 55.3 directly into a GC-Titan Ridge...

Elias provided three or four variations of NVM 51, but they did not perform any better than NVM 23 or 33. But one of the esteemed mad scientists around here could cross-pollinate Apple's NVM 55.3 directly into a GC-Titan Ridge...

Hmm....and how would I get it out of a real Mac? Without damaging anything? Should be just a read and write, correct?

@vicantu

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this! However, can you please provide the following screenshots:

Part 1:
  • Boot system without any Thunderbolt device connected.
  • Then before 30 seconds, capture screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
  • Quit System Information (this is necessary)
  • Then after 30 seconds, open System Information --> Thunderbolt and capture another screenshot
Part 2:
  • Boot system with one Thunderbolt device connected.
  • Then before 30 seconds, capture screenshot of System Information --> Thunderbolt
  • Quit System Information (this is necessary), but keep Thunderbolt device connected at all times
  • Then after 30 seconds, open System Information --> Thunderbolt and capture another screenshot
Thank you @CaseySJ!! here my findings using SSDT-TbtOnPCH-NUC-8-OSY86-V3.aml

Part 1:
  • Boot system without any Thunderbolt device connected.

No TB3 before 30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.40.43 PM.png

• Quit System Information (this is necessary)
No TB3 after 30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.41.37 PM.png

Part 2 (first attempt: TB3 not recognized by Finder):
  • TB3 presen at boot not finder recognized before 30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.46.16 PM.png

• Quit System Information (this is necessary), but keep Thunderbolt device connected at all times
  • TB3 presen at boot not finder recognized after  30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.47.05 PM.png
Part 2 (second attempt: TB3 Drive Recognized by finder):
  • TB3 presen at boot working and finder recognized before 30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.54.00 PM.png
    TB3 presen at boot working and finder recognized before 30 Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.54.14 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.54.26 PM.png

• TB3 present at boot working and finder recognized after 30  Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.55.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.56.04 PM.png
It is important to mention that in Part 2 (second attempt, TB3 Drive Recognized by finder) the TB3 drive keeps working fine beyond the 30 seconds limitation that happend with the previus hot-plug tests but it is impossible to enter sleep.

Then, If I ejected the TB3 drive, unplugged, and hot-plug it again, it works fine for 30 seconds and this appears:
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 7.43.42 PM.png

Then, If I eject it and unplug it, this appears resenting System Information:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 7.44.24 PM.png

Thanks Bro.

I've been using the application VideoProc to verify if I'm able to get accelerated H264 and HEVC off load (like so many others). What I see is this:
1590020291248.png

I've been taking this to mean that Yes I have acceleration and everything is good. I recently purchased this application (finally) and am using it today to convert a Movie for my wife when I noticed this:
1590020413348.png

Well, you can see it's only using the CPU and I can confirm this from my CPU utilization stats. When I go back and look closely I notice that during the verification my Graphics is listed as N/A.

I have iGPU disabled in the UEFI Firmware and I'm running as an iMacPro 1,1. I'm hoping somebody will have some suggestions of flags I might be missing in order to get VideoProc (and other applications) to offload to my RX 5700 XT.

Edit:
This is confusing because this conversion shows this: with the Intel green.
1590021631571.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your help @CaseySJ

Feedback: LG UltraFine Display has no display output, the HP docking station and USB work normally.
This is my Thunderbolt firmware. It would be better if it could help me fix the problem of no video output. Video output is very important to me. Thank you again for your help

Is it possible to modify the firmware on AR? My machine's sleep is affected by Thunderbolt, and it will automatically wake up (make sure it is not a USB problem)

View attachment 470560View attachment 470561View attachment 470562

@Mace
Question.
I have same motherboard and iMac Pro smbios.

Are you using a patched BIOS in order to enable GPIO3 Force Power?

When I enable the ACPI renames and have SSDTS in place provided by CaseySJ, the path in IO reg populates but TB does not work at all. I'm assuming this is because of GPIO3 Force Power not being enabled, however it does not exist in my bios menu (F5b).

Last edited:
Well, you can see it's only using the CPU and I can confirm this from my CPU utilization stats. When I go back and look closely I notice that during the verification my Graphics is listed as N/A.

I have iGPU disabled in the UEFI Firmware and I'm running as an iMacPro 1,1. I'm hoping somebody will have some suggestions of flags I might be missing in order to get VideoProc (and other applications) to offload to my RX 5700 XT.

Try the gvaForceAMDKE setting: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ncoding-instead-of-intels.277372/post-1957914

Wow, this is right on topic, thank you so much for pointing me to this thread.
I think your dGPU enc/dec is already working. Fact that you are using imacpro 1,1 your iGPU is disabled and only dGPU will be used for hardware enc/dec . Videoproc shows hardware enc/dec is enabled because of your dGPU. As for gvaForceAMDKE code, it is useful when you are using SMBIOS like iMac 19,1 that can use headless mode. Normally, macOS will use IQS for hardware enc/dec if you have headless mode setup. But with gvaForceAMD, it will force macOS to use your dGPU for hardware enc/dec in apps like Premiere Pro or QuickTime Player. However, it breaks FCPX H264 export in iMac 19,1

Back