Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

After reseating all PCIe and RAM sticks, I’m back to booting to bios however I set up my BIOS on f9b again and made all necc changes to bios, however when I attempt to boot into macOS my verbose just reads

++++++++++++++++++_

searching thru the thread I came to your post @CaseySJ mentioning to unlock the MSR again since I had native NVRam, I went thru and unlocked again successfully but when attempting to boot I’m still sitting at

++++++++++++++++++_

And won’t proceed forward
Have you tried resetting CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard?

Thank you very much @CaseySJ for your time putting all this information together and for your support, since yesterday, I have been trying to understand how to use this info and trying different combinations/modifications of the files with my Flashed NUC8i7BEH but with no success, this is frustrating :(

@faithie999 can you please share with me your complete EFI folder of your flashed NUC8i3BEH to compare with mine to see what I am doing wrong, sorry to bother you but I don't know anyone else with a NUC8 so similar than mine that is flashed and working.

Thanks
what process have you used, and what status are you in right now?

Have you tried resetting CMOS by shorting the two designated pins on motherboard?

I have not reset using the short method, I have reset CMOS by removing the battery for 15 seconds with PSU switch off and unplugged several times due to after this occurred it would not boot otherwise.

Because of resetting and moving within BIOS versions F6n and F9b I did go thru the process of reunlocking MSR using Grub from mini guide and selecting BIOS configuration again afterwards.

I’ve tried to boot into my backup and main drive both give same result

According to your DSDT, the Thunderbolt hot-plug GPE is most likely _GPE._L61

@CaseySJ @losinka @dgsga If it helps, here's the native DSDT for the Z170-UD5 TH. When running it does not have _E2C method. However, the native DSDT has _E23 which seems to become XTBT in the running system DSDT.

(in the image, left is native, right is running)

EDIT: and on a closer look, XTBT is a method called directly before TINI, so maybe it's our target?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.39.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.39.51 AM.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Z170-UD5 TH Native dsdt.dsl
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
@CaseySJ @losinka @dgsga If it helps, here's the native DSDT for the Z170-UD5 TH. When running it does not have _E2C method. However, the native DSDT has _E23 which seems to become XTBT in the running system DSDT.

(in the image, left is native, right is running)

EDIT: and on a closer look, XTBT is a method called directly before TINI, so maybe it's our target?

EDIT 2: The method is XTBT when the thunderbolt controller is disabled in the BIOS. When it's enabled, the method is called _E23 (sorry for adding noise to the signal)

Screengrab of the XTBT method contents:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.46.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.46.27 AM.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It seems like a lot of people have trouble resetting BIOS/UEFI settings after either a BIOS update or reset by shorting the 'clear cmos' pins. One or two options are sometimes inadvertently missed.

There is (or used to be) an option within the Gigabyte BIOS to save settings to a file on a USB flash drive, pressing F3 I think it is (my motherboard died the other day so I can't check it at the moment but if memory serves me right it is F3).

This is different from saving/loading a BIOS file, eg F9b.bin, this is for the actual settings (Profiles), eg Enable XMP, Disable CSM etc etc

It may be a good idea to have a collection of the settings for each BIOS version available in the thread (as a MINI Guide?) so that people can download them and load them into their BIOS. At least then you know you are starting from a known good point.

The file produced is specific to the BIOS version, so there would need to be one file per version, eg you can't load an F8 BIOS setup file onto an F9b BIOS motherboard.

I would have done this myself but as some of you may be aware from my posts the other day, I'm awaiting a replacement motherboard from Amazon after a component somehow 'fell off' my old one. Most suppliers are out of stock and I have an estimated delivery date of mid to end June. :(

Back