Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@canyondust: we have a same MB. I have the hotplug if I boot with connected TB device only (eGPU with icon too).

also, firmware SSDT-5 is borked in our board, drop that table (sensrhub) and use this one :)

Attachments

• SSDT-5.dsl
    4.8 KB · Views: 63
I read somewhere on TonyMac that VideoProc currently has an issue:
  • When both iGPU and AMD GPU are active, it uses iGPU.
  • But if you disable iGPU then VideoProc will use AMD GPU.
A future version might fix this problem.
I have disabled IGPU, but if it is an issue of VideoProc, I'll wait new version

Ok @CaseySJ. I learned a few things and have a request.

Learned:
I correlated my TB failures (still loading in IOReg but no devices would connect) to my ApplePowerBusController properties. When TB was failing the correct values from SSDT-USBX.aml were loading and vice versa. I've never had both those values and TB work, to my knowledge.

The fix? Remove those properties from my USBPorts.kext along with removing XHC3 and XHCI. As extra caution I created a new ROM and Config for my TBOLT SSDT. It's directly from an iMac 18,3. At'll do it.

Request:
Can you replace the SSDT associated with my ASUS ThunderboltEX3 with the one attached here? The ROM/Config feel more appropriate.
Certainly -- done.

Hi CaseySJ
I have an issue with Vidoproc, when I try to convert video file, although both h264 and Hevc are active, see the screenshot when I Try to convert a video file only the cpu and the integrated video card are used, how you can see in the screenshot eve if my and RX 580 video card is detected.
I tried the How to Customize Device Names and Properties, but the result is the same, videoproc doesn’t work as as expected.
So I tried with a game to understand if the Rx580 works fine, I installed SuperTuxKart, I set all graphic settings to max, and the video card worked well, with the fan running, which does not happen with videoproc.
I’m running Catalina 10.15.4, Smbios ImacPro1.1, with the integrated video card disabled by bios, the dedicated video card is a Sapphire Rx580 Nitro, Weg and Lilu are updated at the last version.
The last thing I can try is use dummy141.kext, but in the spoiler is indicated to place the kext in Library/Extensions, and it isn’t correct in Catalina.

Do you have any ideas to solve my problem?

I read somewhere on TonyMac that VideoProc currently has an issue:
  • When both iGPU and AMD GPU are active, it uses iGPU.
  • But if you disable iGPU then VideoProc will use AMD GPU.
A future version might fix this problem.

I also read this on the forum, this question has been asked before. I think in this post jaymonkey gave some good insights.

Last edited:
can you share your SSDT/Config Patches please? :)
Sure... I don't have any patches and use SSDT by Casey (+SSDT-DTPG). TB-Firmware has only three patches:

2727 => 3737 (оffset 0x35 from the begin of active partition)
A0 => 20 (offset 0x81 from the begin of active partition)
FFFFFFFF => 86807715 (offset 0xba8 from the begin of active partition)

The DROM (in dsl) has one patch only: activate the TBSwitch5 (Port 5 in ioreg) + CRC fix. About ThunderboltConfig I only know what Casey said: the first byte must be the same as the TB bus (DROM) ;)

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3-MY.dsl.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 68
Sure... I don't have any patches and use SSDT by Casey (+SSDT-DTPG). TB-Firmware has only three patches:

2727 => 3737 (оffset 0x35 from the begin of active partition)
A0 => 20 (offset 0x81 from the begin of active partition)
FFFFFFFF => 86807715 (offset 0xba8 from the begin of active partition)

The DROM (in dsl) has one patch only: activate the TBSwitch5 (Port 5 in ioreg) + CRC fix. About ThunderboltConfig I only know what Casey said: the first byte must be the same as the TB bus (DROM) ;)

Oh you flashed your chip? I assume it went smooth then?

Glad to hear it.

Each time you enable X.M.P. Profile 1 the system fails to boot? Or was it a one-time event? If its repeatable here are some suggestions:
  • Check that the two DIMMs are installed in alternating slots, preferably slot closest to CPU (DDR4_A1) and DDR4_B1.
  • See what happens if only one module is installed.
  • Perform a CMOS Reset with both modules installed (DDR4_A1 and DDR4_B1). Configure BIOS parameters always starting with Load Optimized Defaults.

Ouch, 2012 Mac mini is rather anemic on those benchmarks. Chart added to Radeon Boost guide.

Okay so it's been like a week, but I finally got around to checking on this.
  • DIMMs were installed in A1 and B1.
  • Attempting Profile 1 with only one installed resulted in the same boot failure as with both installed.
  • Setting the memory multiplier to 2933, however, worked for me.
So for the moment I have XMP enabled with the 3200MHz RAM running at 2933MHz. I'd love to get the full 3200 out of these chips but for the moment I'm satisfied to at least have them at 2933, and as I'm using this rig for work I need to hold off on anymore tinkering for the time being.

I have yet to attempt clearing the CMOS because getting to the jumper will require unplugging some stuff and will take time I don't have at the moment. I also recall that when I first set this up, the initial boot with XMP Profile 1 resulted in the CMOS clearing itself, such that the BIOS was regressed to F6 and I had to re-update it to continue in F9b. So it seems that clearing the CMOS may have inadvertently happened already. I was sure to start with Load Optimized Defaults. So...it may just be a bad combination of RAM with this system to use XMP?

In any case, I may try clearing the CMOS and starting over again soon, once I have work out of the way. Thanks again for all your advice!

PS - My only other issue is that macOS lists my CPU as an i9 instead of an i7. Not a huge deal, but I don't think changing the "Unknown CPU" value would help since the OS thinks it knows what CPU this is.

Thank you! Will try this out and let you know the results!

@jiffyslot
@CaseySJ

Not much luck. The screen shots show what comes up when I run sudo kextcache -i / in terminal.

The weird thing is that I have a clone of my current system drive and my Audio works fine every time I boot from that drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.42.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.42.58 PM.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.43.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.43.20 PM.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 63
@jiffyslot
@CaseySJ

Not much luck. The screen shots show what comes up when I run sudo kextcache -i / in terminal.

The weird thing is that I have a clone of my current system drive and my Audio works fine every time I boot from that drive.

Invalid Signature is fine and nothing to worry about.

However you have 1 rejected kext, LILU, because it is in the wrong folder. Move it from S/L/E to L/E.

Back