Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Found a good price on an LG 4K 24MD4KLB-B so I pulled the trigger and it arrives tomorrow. I'm looking forward to doing some testing on my patched GC-TR, hoping I can get multiple monitors working over thunderbolt. Anyone with patched add-in cards running multiple monitors over thunderbolt?

I have one monitor plugged into the DP on the Titan Ridge and one monitor plug into the USB-C.
I'm not sure that it counts as Thunderbolt but I do have two video streams coming from the card.

So, as we discussed before, it seems like the sosts for the CH341A and a multimeter about $50......not ideal, but doable, I guess.
A Raspberry Pi is about the same cost without having to do soldering or the need for a multimeter. I also feel like it is the safest route.

My GC-TR card has an NVM of 43, which of the NVM 33 postings would you recommend?

DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin?
Z390-AORUS-XTREME-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin?
Or do I need a plain vanilla NVM 33 from someone else?
I use DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin? and find it to be the best version.

Also, do I need to then do the DROM procedure you have outlined? Meaning for me, with my card, first NVM 33, then more programming for the DROM procedure? Or is it a matter of taking a NVM 33 like the ones above and adjusting them?
Yes you should follow the DROM guide and modify the DROM in the SSDT that is provided. This is what enables Thunderbolt <---> Thunderbolt networking and I think video pass threw or maybe that started working coincidently.

@gandem and @scottkendall: thanks for your response!

Can I assume that the drom.aml file you're talking about is: SSDT-TBOLT3-RP05-PORT7-GC-TITAN-RIDGE.aml, or have I got that wrong? Drom is a section in the file, correct?

This is the file that must be adjusted for port 7 to work (in fact, I just looked and there it was!).

Thanks, guys!

@gandem and @scottkendall: thanks for your response!

Can I assume that the drom.aml file you're talking about is: SSDT-TBOLT3-RP05-PORT7-GC-TITAN-RIDGE.aml, or have I got that wrong? Drom is a section in the file, correct?

This is the file that must be adjusted for port 7 to work (in fact, I just looked and there it was!).

Thanks, guys!

Yes that is the file you want, it is very similar to the SSDT you likely have been using for Hotplug. Obviously you want to modify RP05 if you are on RP21 but that is the file. If you just drop It in the TB3 will work and maybe even the networking but it is advised that you make a custom DROM since it behaves similarly to a MAC address of A NIC.

So, as we discussed before, it seems like the sosts for the CH341A and a multimeter about $50......not ideal, but doable, I guess.

My GC-TR card has an NVM of 43, which of the NVM 33 postings would you recommend?

DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin?
Z390-AORUS-XTREME-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin?
Or do I need a plain vanilla NVM 33 from someone else?

Also, do I need to then do the DROM procedure you have outlined? Meaning for me, with my card, first NVM 33, then more programming for the DROM procedure? Or is it a matter of taking a NVM 33 like the ones above and adjusting them?
A multimeter is definitely not needed. Those CH341A's all use the same voltage regular chips and hence output both 3.3V and 5V. But it may be okay to use the higher 5V output -- at your own risk of course! :)

Probably the first version to try would be DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin. We just flash that as-is -- no changes.

Edit: Looks like everyone recommended NVM 33.

Because anything else would be a bad recommendation! :) Now if only we could get a firmware for Alpine Ridge that works as well as NVM 33 works for Titan!
have you tried EliasFr64's NVM20 version 1, in the repository here? I have found that it works for my Apple TB monitor (with a TB3 to TB2 adapter), as well as my TB1 Seagate HD dock. In addition to the TB display, the camera, microphone, and display speakers all work as well. What doesn't work on my machine is wake from sleep. But I think that is more likely related to the presence of the AR AIC or wrong configuration of the USB ports on the card. Rather than the modified firmware (sleep and wake work fine if the AR card is not installed).

Right now I'm in the middle of trying @dgsga's no-flash approach on my AR in the hope (probably false hope) that wake from sleep works using that approach.

Last edited:
Back