Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@faithie999 @CODYQX4

Seems you're both experiencing wake-from-sleep problems with Thunderbolt monitors (Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG UltraFine 5K). While it's somewhat of a miracle that Apple Thunderbolt Display works at all, the LG UltraFine 5K should not be exhibiting wake-from-sleep problems.

Have you checked the eGPU.io forum? Because eGPUs are always Thunderbolt-based, perhaps they are more qualified to address these issues. If you do find solutions there, please mention them here (or provide links) so the folks here can benefit.

If @JayShay or any other LG 5K or LG 4K owners can report their experiences with the monitor being able to wake-from-sleep repeatedly, that would be great.

CMMChris removed Vega support because the fan noise complaints were unacceptable. He could not apply the 'boost' to Vega GPUs and lower fan speed.

Fan noise is not an issue with one Vega 64 I have, as it is water-cooled, so I added it back for this computer. (I do have a Vega 56 that I'll test out this weekend.)

I'll upload the modified v1.4 here, but if anyone uses it without water-cooling, fan noise will most likely be a problem. This modified version works for both Vega 56 and 64.

Since this kext auto-selects SMBIOS and GPU, it is fully usable, and will function the same, as the standard v1.4 with other supported GPUs.

Just confirming that this is indeed unfortunately the case for anyone wondering. It's a shame that Apple themselves didn't fix this, so thanks for providing this kext anyway. I also want to note that Whatevergreen was still necessary for my Sapphire Vega 64 reference card as logging in would cause a kernel panic with only the kext and the SSDT.

Personally I'm reverting back to just WG as I think I prefer a quieter computer over the performance boost I saw on my rig in particular as seen below, but thank you so much for the work! If there's anything I can help with, please let me know! (gotta keep busy while staying at home)

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 7.30.12 PM.png

just tried that, still doesn't show anything.

What WiFi/Bluetooth card do you have installed?

This may or may not work, but when I was having Handoff problems (which rely on Bluetooth), I took out my Fenvi card, plugged it back in to the slot, ensured the header cable that connects the Fenvi card to the Mobo was also securely into the motherboard (don't push too hard as the holes aren't perfectly aligned to the mobo pins) and then unscrewed and re-screwed the antennas. Handoff works perfectly now and BT is strong as ever. Hope this helps!

Hello CaseySJ,
I have a problem with my disk Adata, any idea?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 01.29.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 01.29.00.png
    958.9 KB · Views: 114
So, I’m on Mojave 10.14.6 now, and I just stuck another RX 580 into slot 2 To see what would happen, and they both work great together in Mojave. Davinci Resolve and FCPx work faster across the board, dual GPUs show up in the system etc.. I had no idea this was even a thing with hacks! Bonus.

@CaseySJ what are these new entries in the OC config.plist? The left is the new one (from NDK fork 0.5.7) and the right is the one from 0.5.4. Since updating I've been trying to figure out why iMessage isn't working for me, and I think I tracked it down to adding an entry here for en0, but now it's got me wondering why these entries need to be there.

1587873338652.png

hi, sorry to bother, --> my new mother does not post !
any tips

update, tried different PSU, no-go, took heatsink off, reseated CPU, ok, posted. my 650w psu is not working , 500W is posting. don't know how to delete this post. thanks

Last edited:
Just confirming that this is indeed unfortunately the case for anyone wondering. It's a shame that Apple themselves didn't fix this, so thanks for providing this kext anyway. I also want to note that Whatevergreen was still necessary for my Sapphire Vega 64 reference card as logging in would cause a kernel panic with only the kext and the SSDT.

The SSDT should have fixed the fan issue it did for me at least I have an XFX Vega 64 Reference card.

Not sure why you got the panic that is kind of odd result.

Back