Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey @CaseySJ - everything's been going ok, however sleep is still a bit patchy (but not because of the reasons mentioned before).

I've narrowed it down to Handoff. Within Terminal, when entering pmset -g assertions, the reason for prevent User Idle System sleep is "pid 329(sharingd): [0x00003c6200018d9a] 00:00:06 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff" "

I've just restarted the machine and haven't even instigated any handoff transfers (WiFi is also off on the hack and so can't even make any transfers, but sleep also doesn't work if WiFi is on), however, if I go to system Preferences, general, and uncheck the 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices', the Mac goes to sleep within minutes.

Any ideas?
Hello @hamzab,

Have you tried disabling proximitywake and tcpkeepalive?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First of all, a big Thank You to @CaseySJ for such a wonderful guide and thoughtfulness throughout this thread. I've had my Designaire up and running with much stability for a while now. Couldn't have done that without this group of people - thank you.

One basic question regarding flashing a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card - does it need to be in the motherboard and powered up to flash properly? I've successfully flashed the motherboard and was going to update the TR card but have had problems writing the new ROM. Reading works fine with the card separated from the motherboard.

Again, thanks to all of you for this resource.
Hello @mathgeek,

You brought up my most favorite topic! First of all, how was your experience with flashing the motherboard itself? Which flashing procedure did you use and were any obstacles encountered?

The GC-Titan Ridge is far easier to flash. It should be fully removed from the motherboard and all 8 pins should be connected to it (including Vcc Pin 8).

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
Intel I7 6700K 4.00GHz
Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!
The PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Devil 8GB GD6 will work with this build on this MotherBoard like the RX580 (Mojave 10.14.6)?
Or there is any different processes to do?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!
The PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Devil 8GB GD6 will work with this build on this MotherBoard? (Mojave 10.14.6)
No, because drivers for 5700-series GPUs were first added in Catalina 10.15.1 or 10.15.2.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @hamzab,

Have you tried disabling proximitywake and tcpkeepalive?

Thank you for the above. I'll leave it running till the evening and will try one of those, one at a time.

EDIT: Disabled both via Terminal commands (pmset -g confirms they are both now set to 0), however I'm still getting "PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff" ". Disabling Handoff within system prefs, general fixes this.

Should I try a reinstall? As in my previous installation, I don't remember Handoff being the reason for this machine staying awake? Nothing else has been installed so don't mind reformatting and reinstalling MacOS.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Where can I disable IGPU in the BIOS? I can't find it. Thanks.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Where can I disable IGPU in the BIOS? I can't find it. Thanks.
I don't recommend disabling IGPU unless absolutely necessary. If you must disable it, the setting is located here:
  • BIOS F4 through F7
    • Chipset --> Internal Graphics
  • BIOS F8 and F9b
    • Settings --> Internal Graphics

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thank you very much for the answer. I discovered now the extra mile section in the first post to enable iMovie on Mojave. I'm reading it now.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
@CaseySJ
Just out of curiosity, are you going to upgrade your PC when Intel 10th gen CPU/Z490 come out?
I bought the current PC components purely based on this amazing guide and your knowledge.