Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi, back again. So I've learned the importance of a bootable back up haha.
I couldn't manage to get my drive back up from r5109, and had recently backed up via Time Machine, so I installed a fresh copy of Catalina.
However, I'm having trouble getting my PCIe Bluetooth card to work. I have SSD-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in patched, and it's not listed in IO. My wireless keyboard and mouse work at bios and boot manager screen, but not in macOS. The Bluetooth option in System Preferences isnt' showing, So something is up. that I can't figure out

Which Bluetooth card is it, and how is it connected?

Hey Legends!
I'm an audio engineer about to start my first hackintosh build based on the z390 designare. I'm hoping to have a dual boot system (windows 10 and catalina) so i'm not sure how much different the process is going to be (need to read more).

Before I dive in to the hack build I was going to set it up for windows first to enjoy the computer for awhile before I go deep. Is there anything people would recommend doing, especially with hard drives when building the computer straight up? Should I set up any specific partitions? I will have three 500gig Samsung SSD's, one of which is a 970pro m2 which i was planning on running the OS from.

My current computer is an older (2011) mac mini server edition, so I would love to be able to drop the SSD from that machine into this new build and not have to reinstall all my plugins and programs etc, but I don't think that's going to be possible?

Anyway I will be following your guide closely when it comes time to set up. So thanks for posting.
Good plan...some suggestions:
  • If Windows will be installed on an NVMe SSD, the SSD should be installed in the upper M2M slot.
  • On a dual boot system it is good to install Windows first.
  • Whichever SSD you use for macOS should not be partitioned with a different OS. It's okay to partition a macOS SSD where all partitions will be macOS partitions. This makes it easier to create and manage backups.
  • It is possible to install macOS on a relatively small SSD or partition (say about 128GB or 256GB) and have your home folder on a different, presumably larger SSD or partition. We can do this by following the section in Post #1 with the heading Home and OS Folders on Separates Drives (this applies to separate partitions as well).
  • I do not recommend simply transplanting an old macOS SSD. It would be better for the long term to perform a clean fresh installation and reinstall apps/plug-ins. The new computer will have a new serial number so pre-existing apps and plug-ins would need to be re-licensed.

Hi @CaseySJ ,

I have the Define R6 case (with USB-C at the front) and earlier used the SSDT you mentioned in the starting post. What should I edit in that SSDT to work with these BT drivers (instead of using the files you mentioned in the quote)?
We just have to add HS14, which has been done in the attached file. The rest of the micro-guide still needs to be followed.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V4.aml
    883 bytes · Views: 79
Hello @CaseySJ,after a while i tested all usbs connections and i have also changed the usb cables.....in mojave and catalina,and same problem,the system eject hdd ramdomly or when transfer data ,this is crazy ¡¡,so did in the new card pci 3.0 usb¡¡...(https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00HJ1DULE/?tag=tonymacx86c03-21)

What I do not understand,for example today i transfered with carbon copy cloner 500gb from hdd red nas 3gb to hdd red nas 4tb and in the middle i have had error,te system have ejected one drive.And after i have continued the transfer and it has not disconnected...this situation makes me desperate¡¡¡

I don't know if I do something wrong in the installation or I don't know....Remember the same disk in macbook dont have any error.

Before this MB i had z370 aorus gaming 7 with same disk and I didn't have these problems either...

if something similar has happened to someone...

Thanks for listening...

EDIT:Now i have connected only 1 hdd(seagate 2tb external usb 3.0)and after 2 hours its ejected without doing anything....
The other hdd (Western digital nas its not connected)
Are disks ejecting because the system goes to sleep? Or is sleep turned off?

@CaseySJ, thanks, managed to undo CFG Lock again as yes it appears to have reset itself. Does it reset if I was to reset the bios on the board via pins/battery removal?
All worked okay and got back in to the Mac with all my files etc. Then did the CFG Lock via modgrubshell
However it's now giving me this below. I presume I'm back to ACPI folder and the .aml files but not too sure what to change or redo? Any clues greatly appreciated..

View attachment 463937
Those TZ or Thermal Zone ACPI errors can be ignored. They're due to an oversight in the Gigabyte firmware. MSR 0xE2 can be re-locked automatically whenever CMOS is Reset and BIOS is flashed. We should always check and disable MSR 0xE2 after each such event.

@CaseySJ

In posts #18,992 and #18,999 you have uploaded SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8.aml. Are these 2 different aml files or the same one. If different who should use the 1st one as opposed to the 2nd one.

Thanks.
They're identical. The micro-guide in post 18,992 was updated after post 18,999.

Good plan...some suggestions:
  • If Windows will be installed on an NVMe SSD, the SSD should be installed in the upper M2M slot.
  • On a dual boot system it is good to install Windows first.
  • Whichever SSD you use for macOS should not be partitioned with a different OS. It's okay to partition a macOS SSD where all partitions will be macOS partitions. This makes it easier to create and manage backups.
  • It is possible to install macOS on a relatively small SSD or partition (say about 128GB or 256GB) and have your home folder on a different, presumably larger SSD or partition. We can do this by following the section in Post #1 with the heading Home and OS Folders on Separates Drives (this applies to separate partitions as well).
  • I do not recommend simply transplanting an old macOS SSD. It would be better for the long term to perform a clean fresh installation and reinstall apps/plug-ins. The new computer will have a new serial number so pre-existing apps and plug-ins would need to be re-licensed.

@CaseySJ what is the difference between M2M and M2P? (I have macOS in M2M and Windows in M2P)

Back