Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Silly question, but how do I downgrade without being able to boot in?
Normally this would be easy. We would just replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi with older versions. But if the Themes folder has changed as well then it's better to do this:
  • Find a USB install disk.
  • Mount the EFI partition and rename the existing "EFI" folder to something like "EFI-OLD".
  • Download the Clover 5107 installer (the file with .pkg extension).
  • Run it and point it to the USB install disk.
  • Proceed with Clover installation.
  • Now there will be two EFI folders:
    • EFI (v5107)
    • EFI-OLD (v5109)
  • From the new EFI folder, delete the following sub-folders:
    • EFI/Kexts
    • EFI/drivers
    • EFI/ACPI
  • Now mount the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.
  • Copy the same three folders from internal EFI/CLOVER folder to USB flash disk's EFI/CLOVER folder:
    • EFI/Kexts
    • EFI/drivers
    • EFI/ACPI
  • Finally, copy config.plist from internal EFI/CLOVER folder to USB flash disk's EFI/CLOVER folder (replace the file that's already there).
Reboot and press F12 at BIOS splash screen.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Just to let you know 10.15.4 Supplemental Update is out. Went well on my hack.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.08.32 am.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.38.20 am.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I, too, am experiencing some boot issues with Clover 5109.

Currently, in my specific case, it is such that booting up sometimes results in the denied/blocked symbol showing up (but not consistently reproducible), which prevents me from booting to the login screen.

My current workaround for this, strange as it sounds, is to enable verbose booting, which typically allows the boot process to finish properly. I have a hunch this may be a race condition somewhere, but I'm not an expert on Clovers internals.
There may also be a connection of this to cold- vs warm-booting, however I wasn't able to figure out a consistent pattern yet.

Currently, I would recommend people not upgrade to Clover 5901 due to this instability.

As an additional note, Clover 5901 also ships with a new theme engine. This can lead to display issues in the clover boot menu when you install 5901 without the new themes or you have an "old" style theme set explicitly in your config.plist, leading to the screen being blacked out (or sometimes blue) due to the theme being incompatible. This can be remedied by installing the default themes using the "customise" option in the clover installer package and updating the theme in the config.plist file.
In my case, I switched from "embedded" to "Clovy", which is one of the new built-in themes.

Both issues are being tracked in the Clover repository:
Boot Breakage
Theme Issues

Neither have a resolution yet.

Motherboard
Asus Z690-Creator WIFI
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@doof thanks. It was actually due to ocquirks.plist. Now the ocquirks-revision22 works.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare z390
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
Vega Frontier
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi @CaseySJ
Thank you for all your hard work. Followed you since 2018 and built a successful build running 10.14.5! My question below needs to be prefaced by this: I'm 100% working from home because of COVID-19 and my Hackintosh is now my livelihood. Should I risk trying to update to 10.15? Do you think an upgrade will solve my problem listed below?

PROBLEM
When I run a third monitor (4k TV hooked in to HDMI on Vega Frontier), sometimes I crash. Not always. The other two 4k monitors are hooked into DP on the Vega Frontier.

What ALWAYS happens is shortly after booting into 10.14, the screens flicker once (even with the 4k TV off). Most of the time, everything is fine. Once in a while, everything goes grey, CPU fans max. This has happened in Adobe apps. Again, this has always occurred with the 4K TV off.

NOTE: Computer will not boot at all, even to bios, if the 4k TV is on. If I leave it off, it boots and then I can turn it on, everything is fine.

Motherboard
Asus Dominus Extreme
CPU
3175X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Just to add another Firmware:

Unpatched and Original Firmware from an ASUS Prime X299 Edition 30

@mattbatt
I can recommend to stay away from Catalina as long as you can.
Apple messed a lot up and no one knows when the stuff will be fixed.

Attachments

• ASUS.Prime.X299.Edition30.CascadeLakeX.ThunderboltOriginal.bin.zip
    214.8 KB · Views: 35
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
PROBLEM
When I run a third monitor (4k TV hooked in to HDMI on Vega Frontier), sometimes I crash. Not always. The other two 4k monitors are hooked into DP on the Vega Frontier.

What ALWAYS happens is shortly after booting into 10.14, the screens flicker once (even with the 4k TV off). Most of the time, everything is fine. Once in a while, everything goes grey, CPU fans max. This has happened in Adobe apps. Again, this has always occurred with the 4K TV off.

For me the solution was to disable XMP and change the clock multiplayer to clock my memory and make sure each power has its own power no daisy chaining.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Tried to upgrade to Catalina today. I followed the micro guide which was a little confusing but I'm pretty sure I did what I was supposed to do. After I boot the USB disk, I select boot into Mojave, and that's where the problems start. Sometimes I get a big Circle with slash thru it (similar to invalid). Other times it just hangs. I redid the process again with the same results. I have a Radeon VII card. So I made sure to copy out the Rt Variables and SMBIOS (using VI). I completely replace those two sections on the config.plist. I verify that Clover sees these two sections in the new config.plist file.

Feels like it is not detecting my NVMe or maybe its a video problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RuleBreaker01

Banned
Upgrading to 10.15.4 may result in a “Bless” error in which the 10.15.4 installer is unable to select a startup disk. If this happens, you’ll have two extra or leftover macOS Install boot volumes in Clover Boot Menu. You can try without unlocking MSR 0xE2.
In the boot option from the BIOS menu (after pressing F12 or in BIOS Boot option), iam having 2 boot volumes available with same name indicating the internal SSD, but i have no issues with booting to macOS.
What could be causing this 2 volumes?

RuleBreaker01

Banned
When you say you were "always able to select MTU 9000", are you referring to Network Settings on the Hackintosh? The paragraph below states that MTU will not "stick" whether selected from the pop-up menu or entered as a manual value.

Are the screenshots for (a) WiFi or (b) Wired Ethernet? Or the same inability to set jumbo frames applies to both?

It's fairly common to use jumbo frames for communication with NAS so I agree it's desirable to find a solution.

So this issue happens with a Chelsio T4 PCIe card? Does it have an Aquantia or Intel or some other controller?

Thanks for the attention, much appreciated! For clarity, on the wired Chelsio Nic’s (I have 5 or 6 of them T4, T5, and T6), when I navigate to advanced network settings (as pictured), auto configuration doesn’t allow the selection of 9000 MTU, it’s not a visible selection, only 1500 MTU is selectable. To change MTU, I have to select manual configuration, autoselect speed, then I am able to choose either 1500 MTU, 9000 MTU, or Custom. Selecting 1500 MTU, there are zero detectable issues. If I select 9000 MTU, it sticks, but Finder often freezes when connecting to an SMB share, requires restart, slow network performance, if I can connect to an SmB share - a transfer will start at pace, halt for up to 30-45 seconds, sometimes drop the connection, sometimes it will get going again and finish the transfer, this behavior is not predictable, however more often than not, I get finder freezing then restart. Additionally, in any browser, I’m able to connect to internet just fine, no issues, but nearly every LAN destination will fail to load. So, we’ve got finder freezing, dropped SmB and iscsi connections, start/halt/resume file transfers, inaccessible LAN sites. Back to settings, when I select custom MTU I can type in 9000 MTU, hit save, then apply changes, but the changes don’t stick, it reverts back to 1500 MTU no matter what.

because the problematic network behavior only occurs when selecting 9000 MTU, Ive concluded that is the issue.

it occurs on all Chelsea interfaces that I have, all models. However, the same behavior can’t be replicated on either of my two Apple Macs. Works fine on genuine Apple, to select 9000 MTU, same exact setup.

i checked today, and amazon seems to be opening up some more, so I can get an aquantia NIC by Sunday, which I’ll likely do, just to test.

it’s just very bizarre, I was on Catalina for months without any issue with jumbo frames and the Chelsea NIC’S. It just began a week or so ago, out of the blue.