Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My EFI wouldn’t work for a *vanilla Mojave install. Have you done the steps after the UniBeast install? You most likely need to reconfigure your install USB with the files mentioned after the UniBeast installer.

Attachments

• DF473DE2-5EFE-4739-B996-2C599D5BE31A.png
    DF473DE2-5EFE-4739-B996-2C599D5BE31A.png
    608.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
My EFI wouldn’t work for a *vanilla mojave install, have you done the steps after the UniBeast install?
I have not even got back to that step. I started over again and cannot get the installer to load. I get the prohibited sign.

I'm talking about adding files to the install USB before booting the machine you want to install on. You have to modify the UniBeast installer USB with the steps in the guide after creating it and before you try to install on a target machine
I have not even got back to that step. I started over again and cannot get the installer to load..get the prohibited sign.

Last edited:
Hi,@CaseySJ
I found the original firmware of GC-AR-V2, and I modified the firmware according to the plist patch of Osy86. Here are some questions:
1. Only the first dp-in works normally
2. Whether plugged into the first port or the second port, the device only appears under DSB1
3. The USB control bus of LG display does not work, there is no display adjustment and audio
Snipaste_2020-04-04_16-36-05.png

Attachments

• GC-Alpine Ridge REV2.0-Original.bin.zip
    145.2 KB · Views: 90
The firmware contains an additional plist file where you can see those entries which describes the related parts.

So in the end all of the other besides from top and back are "thunderbolt ports" related to the MPX modules. Nothing more, nothing less.

Did you extract the firmware via Linux? Any news for us?
I am still confused. that plist file is included in the firmware?? it seems it might contain verty useful information no?
g\

Hello @anannyo,

Although the RX 5700 XT will certainly do a good job, we believe that Apple's drivers are not yet optimized for NAVI (RDNA) architecture of the RX 5700 XT. The older and discontinued Radeon VII seems to have the best performance on pro A/V apps, particularly with SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1 and possibly with MacPro 7,1.

Hey @CaseySJ,

Thank you so much for your reply and clarification. Ok I will go for AMD Radeon VII 16GB for my build. I was following your going extra mile guide and was thinking about SMBIOS for Headless platform ID. But as you suggesting SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1; I will go for it. Another question, I am finding it difficult to get Gigabyte Designare Z390; it will be alright if I get Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 right? Also I have already created USB install disk using your "Mini-Guide for Fresh Installation of Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer" guide at:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1730#post-2092711. I will just have to remove agdpmod=pikera and everything else will be same if I use Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 right? Sorry for asking too many silly questions; but as I want to use this build as my main pro video editing workstation; I want to get this perfectly right even if I have to spend some extra bucks. Thank you so much for taking time and answering my queries.

Dear CaseySJ,

I really appreciate your guide and I complete succesfully following your excellent instructions.
Really appreciate.

I have not even got back to that step. I started over again and cannot get the installer to load..get the prohibited sign.
Please mount EFI partition of the USB install disk, open the CLOVER folder, expand the “drivers/UEFI” or “drivers64UEFI” folder, and post a screenshot. Also check if “slide=0” is selected in Clover Configurator —> Boot Arguments.

Lastly, when you boot the system with USB install disk, press spacebar at the Clover Boot Menu, use arrow keys to move down to “Verbose” and press spacebar again to toggle it on. Then press Escape and boot the Mojave installer.

This will enable startup and shutdown logging on screen.

@genzai @S1lla
I think it is in fact a good idea to read the firmware using Linux, and to grab the ACPI tables using MaciASL. We can compare actual contents versus content in firmware files. In the past there have been differences.
dd if=/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_active0/nvmem of=~/Documents/TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin bs=4096 count=256
[/code]
We would replace "0-0" with "1-0" for controller 1, "2-0" for controller 2, etc.

OK! finally was ab,e to get an ubuntu live disk booting on the mac pro and extract all the firmwares. it was quite a process actually just even getting linux to boot. The good news is it saw all 4 controllers and extracting seems to have worked well. i hope this can lead to something cool.

Because i have no idea how linux enumerated the thunderbolt buses i have no idea which firmware is for which controller, but perhaps they are the same or perhaps that info is somehow embedded in the firmware.

g\

PS- i extracted bus0 teiwce as a sanity check that there is no variation between reads, the second time is labeled 0r2.

EDIT:
This looks promising- the bus 0 extracts both have the same checksum but the other buses are not the same, so there is something different on each one. maybe its just cosmetic naming but there could be useful clues here?

5a5c90f34b1ee47dd0f5d5bc0537ed91337374c5 ~/MP71TB3-Controller-/MP71TB3-Controller-0-Fw.bin
5a5c90f34b1ee47dd0f5d5bc0537ed91337374c5 ~/MP71TB3-Controller-/MP71TB3-Controller-0r2-Fw.bin
3c15c4e3b8cb2e4b8e94fc82df1d295d63d3ab1c ~/MP71TB3-Controller-/MP71TB3-Controller-1-Fw.bin
ccb455447086ab8e36a6e401b6245cb0854f3f53 ~/MP71TB3-Controller-/MP71TB3-Controller-2-Fw.bin
f57fa8444e15d25326822341ed681d0b72da0e53 ~/MP71TB3-Controller-/MP71TB3-Controller-3-Fw.bin

EDIT2: ok i mapped which firmware goes with which ports. attaching a new zip with all the info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.21.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.21.43 AM.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 83
  • MP71TB3-Controller.zip
    988.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
After flashing the GC-Titan Ridge with NVM 23 from the Repository and installing it into your system (with pins 3 and 5 jumpered together), please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... to save the IOReg file. Then post that file.

Pins 3 and 5 are on the J1 (5-pin) header on the GC-Titan Ridge. When you hold the card vertically with the PCIe pins pointing to the floor, then pin 3 is third from the bottom, and pin 5 is the topmost pin.
Thank you very much Mr CaseySJ for your help
I am waiting for the card to arrive from Amazon, so it will take time for it to be received and After installing the card, I will send you an ioreg file

Back