Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

faithie999

I am using a dongle. I may just need to get a new one --this one I have is pretty old. I was looking at getting something new. Would you suggest a new dongle type or card ? I know this seems minor for some but I do a lot of editing and the Magic Mouse makes things so much easier than a regular mouse

thanks all
I suspect that the BT dongle, which transmits on the 2.4Ghz band, is being interfered with by a USB3 port. usb3/2.4Ghz interference is a well-known problem.

On my Hackintosh NUC, which has all its USB ports close together, I use a USB male to female "extension cord" to move the BT dongle a foot or more away from the NUC. This solved the problem. If you don't have a USB male to female cord handy, you could use one or more USB hubs. But generally the USB cord on a hub is only a few inches long so won't provide much separation. If you have more than one USB hub handy, just daisy chain a couple together.

The best solution is a Fenvi BT/wifi PCI-e card. There should be a link to it on page 1 of this thread.

Did the Seagate TB1 hard drive work previously (before Thunderbolt Bus)?
No, it did not. There was nothing in system information--Thunderbolt. Honestly, I can't remember if there was any TB info under system information--PCI. I didn't inspect either page immediately before I did the flash. The only time I had looked at either the TB or PCI page was when I first hacked the NUC months ago, and the dock didn't work.

@CaseySJ

Thanks for pointing out the USB issue: deleted ExecutablePath line. Knew it would be something simple.. Thank you.:clap:

Okay, I have a Sleep/Wake, Disk Eject Issue similar as the below post: Is there anything we can do?
Both on OC with 10.15.3/4
Apart from lowering RAM to 2666 instead of 3200.. I'm stumped??
@ncrispi

And lastly, the Thunderbolt Flashing:
Do you have a guide for the main z390 Designare, as all I can find are for Titanridge Card etc.
Once flashed does this render the TB3.aml obsolete or still required?
Running a UAD Apollo 8 all fine but very interested in having the driver in system info and if flashing brings the other functions like target drive etc.

TIA

hey Casey

Were you referring to the wifi that comes with he z390 Designare or the Fenvi card ? I haven't tried the Wifi that comes with the board.
On-board WiFi/BT module will only work in Windows and Linux, but not macOS.

@CaseySJ

Thanks for pointing out the USB issue: deleted ExecutablePath line. Knew it would be something simple.. Thank you.:clap:
Another reason I don't recommend OpenCore at this time. I will do so in the future, but not right now.
Okay, I have a Sleep/Wake, Disk Eject Issue similar as the below post: Is there anything we can do?
Both on OC with 10.15.3/4
Apart from lowering RAM to 2666 instead of 3200.. I'm stumped??
Another reason I don't recommend OpenCore at this time. If you followed the back-and-forth with @ncrispi you will see that we did not find a solution. For the past 3 months I have tried to avoid responding to any sleep/wake questions because, in the words of Steve Jobs, "it's just a bag of hurt". Instead, I posted this. I would suggest doing a fresh install with Clover per the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide and checking sleep/wake behavior.
And lastly, the Thunderbolt Flashing:
Do you have a guide for the main z390 Designare, as all I can find are for Titanridge Card etc.
Once flashed does this render the TB3.aml obsolete or still required?
Running a UAD Apollo 8 all fine but very interested in having the driver in system info and if flashing brings the other functions like target drive etc.
Please refer to these two spoilers in Post #1 for all of the relevant links:

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.06.29 AM.png

P.S. Are you a fan of vinyl? Love that old format. :)

Attached are two versions of modified Gigabyte X99 Designare firmware. Please understand the risk and responsibility if you flash this to your motherboard. You may try Mod-1 and Mod-2. If neither one works, just flash the original firmware back.

It would be best to remove the GC-Alpine Ridge when testing this new firmware on the motherboard.
hey CaseySJ,Thank you very much. I only have one PC that can't flash now. I will give you feedback when I flash is successful.

The screenshot in your original post is correct. The drivers/UEFI folder should contain a minimum of these files for Mojave:
  • FwRuntimeServices.efi
  • OcQuirks.efi
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • HFSPlus.efi
  • EmuVariableUEFI.efi
Some file names might end in "XXXXX-64.efi" -- don't worry, they are the same as above list.

The drivers64UEFI folder can be deleted.
Thank you¡¡

Did the LaCie 2Big RAID box work previously (before Thunderbolt Bus)?
It did indeed. I took on board what you said about the TI firmware and reverted back to the original patched firmware that's in the repo.

On an additional note I then looked more closely at Osy86's firmware patcher for the hades canyon and removed each byte change in turn to see what effect it had. I found that only three byte changes in the active partition are required to produce a full and functional thunderbolt tree for the built-in Alpine Ridge:
2727->3737 at offset 0x35 (decimal 53)
A0 -> 20 at offset 0x81 (decimal 129)
FFFFFFFF -> 8680D315 at offset 0xBA0 (decimal 2976)

Maybe this will help with other Alpine Ridge patches??

Hey Casey,

How're you? Hope you're doing well! I've been following the thunderbolt discussion for the last couple hundred pages and its been a wild ride. I would like to try and flash my board with the custom firmware to fix my Lacie 4TB Thunderbolt 2 external hard drive, but with Covid-19 happening I don't think I'll be able to get the parts any time soon (I'm in Canada).

Question, have you seen this tool floating around? https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/tbtflash-convenient-egfx-flashing-for-macos/

Reading the tool's post description, a bunch of things caught my eye:

"The possibilities with this tool are yet untapped. This tool could probably flash non-eGFX devices and host controllers too. In fact, given that the flasher runs in EFI, and apparently uses standard EFI drivers to flash firmware (though I have not fully analyzed it), it should be possible to further modify this tool and get it running on ANY system, not just Macs. The main barrier is that this tool (of course) contains some of Apple's proprietary stuff (such as graphics/progress bar). But it does have a text-only mode that it automatically switches to when run in EFI shell. Furthermore, this tool performs a board ID check (relevant to Macs) - I have not patched this as it was not required in this case. If needed, I could probably do this in a future update, which should hopefully open it up to ANY EFI system (which is basically every modern computer) and probably more Macs, in case they are blocked."

After following the last couple hundred pages, I can see that a flashing solution that doesn't use an external flasher is not really feasible. However, if we could reach out and get the board ID check patched out of this tool, do you think it would be worth trying to flash the modified TB firmware in text only mode (EFI shell).

Curious to know your thoughts!

Because you have an RX 580, “agdpmod=pikera” can safely be removed.

I tried to remove agdpmod=pikera and i still can't run catalina with rx580 displayport .. if u have some other idea let me know .. thank u so much

Back