Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

NVM18 , By the way: ASUS IC needs to be disassembled and flash。
To easily flash Asus ThunderboltEX-3, we should use the capacitor/resistor circuit described below. This method works consistently. The card must, of course, be removed from PCIe slot.

Hello @CaseySJ I reinstalled the system..now i'm in Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103),he replaced OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with FwRuntimeServices but when i update clover to 5108 i've seen in the driver64UEFI folder they have disappeared a few files,the other files i have copied to new driver folder(drivers/UEFI)and i have this..its correct? thx¡¡
View attachment 459033
Hello @yapiyapo,
  • Clover 4xxx stores EFI drivers in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  • Clover 5xxx stores EFI drivers in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
So after upgrading from Clover 4xxx to 5xxx, please do this:
  • Copy all drivers from CLOVER/drivers64UEFI --> to --> CLOVER/drivers/UEFI that are not already in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
  • Then delete the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and empty the trash.

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr @scottkendall @NorthAmTransAm
Here are my results with the flashed GC-AlpineRidge card. All of these tests were done with complete power shutdown, and with resetting BIOS optimized defaults after each HW change.
I think the BIOS on my board doesn't like when 2 TB3 controllers appear, since the card seems to not want to function like the Titan Ridge does. Also similarly, the stock firmware checksums don't match before and after updating the card with Gigabyte TBTFlash utility.

Code:
-Stock from box-
5d3eaa15ebe19c43c2417e7681dadd0492788e2a  GC-AlpineRideBackup-3.bin
-After TBTFlash Update-
4e45e9894eb504ea394cd2304c7d266a9e24d8c1  GC-AlpineRideBackup-4.bin

Attached are the stock firmware dumps I made to see if there are any differences in what everyone has been working with (doubtful).

Cheers!
Apologies for the late reply...
  • The only difference between the two firmware files in your post are these handful of bytes.
  • These differences, fortunately, can be ignored because they are in Scratch Area 0.
    • Flash Region 0 spans 0x0000 to 0x0FFF
    • Flash Region 1 spans 0x1000 to 0x1FFF
    • Scratch Area 0 spans 0x2000 to 2FFF
    • Scratch Area 1 spans 0x3000 to 3FFF
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 4.17.17 AM.png

However, the table clearly shows system confusion when both on-board and add-in-card controllers are active. Time to upgrade to a new system? :)

Hi,CaseySJ. My gigabyte alpine v2 card cannot be used after brushing the firmware (v1 and v2) provided by you. I don't see anything under the ioreg. After brushing the NUC firmware came the thunderbolt device tree. But the LG monitor can not use, can recognize.
Hello @Mace,

Which version of firmware did you try: NVM20-V1 or NVM20-V2 or both?

Because I don't have GC-Alpine Ridge, let me ask:

All,

If anyone is using a GC-Alpine Ridge with firmware flashed from the Repository, please let us know:
  • Which NVM was flashed? (NVM20-V1 or NVM20-V2)
  • Does Thunderbolt Bus appear?
  • Do Thunderbolt devices connect and operate?
  • Which motherboard is it in?
  • Are you using THB_C header cable or are you connecting pins 3 and 5 to force power on?

Last edited:
Hello @Mace,

All,

If anyone is using a GC-Alpine Ridge with firmware flashed from the Repository, please let us know:
  • Are you using THB_C header cable or are you connecting pins 3 and 5 to force power on?
I have the GC-AR v2 card.
--NVM20-V1
--TB bus appears
--my only TB device, a TB1 hard disk dock, appears and a docked HD is visible and accessible, as well as hot-pluggable
--GA Z390 Aorus Pro
--THB_C header cable connected to the AR card

@Mace--while I can't read Chinese, it appears from your screen shot that Thunderbolt Bus is appearing properly in system information--Thunderbolt. have you performed the DROM customization and loaded that SSDT and SSDT-DTGP.aml?

The part I'm concerned about is your Thunderbolt Port 5 isn't showing any information like this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 7.01.38 AM.png

At the end of the day though, if you feel all set then thats cool!

Congrats again on the flash.

Hello @Mace,

All,

Hi,@CaseySJ,Thank you for your reply
--My GC-Alpine Ridge V2 Card can not be used whether it is nvm20-v1 or nvm20-v2, which shows that there is no equipment under ioreg, and I used the firmware NUC8i7HNKpatched.bin
--TB BUS can appear with this firmware NUC
--I have two Thunderbolt devices, one is LG display and the other is HP Dock. The HP Dock can be normally used and hot-plugged, while the LG display has no black signal screen
--My motherboard is Gigabyte X99 Designare-EX
--THB_C header cable connected to the AR card

I found that all the motherboards that could be used were Z170,Z390, but nvm20-1 and nvm20-2, which could not be used on my motherboard

There is a built-in TB on my motherboard, the model is DSL6540 Alpine Ridge, this is the firmware of this TB, I wonder if I can brush the firmware of this built-in TB to get TB BUS.

Attachments

• GIGABYTE_GA_X99_Designare_EX.zip
    140.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hello @yapiyapo,
  • Clover 4xxx stores EFI drivers in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  • Clover 5xxx stores EFI drivers in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
So after upgrading from Clover 4xxx to 5xxx, please do this:
  • Copy all drivers from CLOVER/drivers64UEFI --> to --> CLOVER/drivers/UEFI that are not already in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.
  • Then delete the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and empty the trash.
Yes, that's what Idid but my problem is when after installed new Clover some files in drivers64 are erased.

-AudioDxe-64.efi
-DataHubDxe-64.efi
-EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
-FSInject-64.efi
-SMCHelper-64.efi

Before install Clover:
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-02 a las 14.30.17.png

After install Clover:
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-02 a las 5.21.31.png

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2020-04-02 a las 13.26.30.png
    Captura de pantalla 2020-04-02 a las 13.26.30.png