Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer **
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.

6-Apr-2020: Reports of System Crashes with 10.15.4 Especially During Large File I/O
9-Apr-2020: Do not use Clover 5109​

1. Create a full backup of Mojave first.
    • Yes you must do this. Catalina 10.15.4 is tricky.
    • It may become necessary to restore from backup.
  2. Follow the Micro Guide here to unlock MSR 0xE2. This is necessary.
  3. Boot into Mojave and delete all of the following kexts from /Library/Extensions if they exist:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 4.59.26 PM.png
  4. Empty the trash.
  5. Rebuild the kernel cache by running Kext Utility. Wait until the button on lower right of the window changes to Quit.
  6. Find a spare USB flash disk.
  7. Format the USB disk in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Boot Test
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  9. Follow Step 1 of the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide except for the 3rd bullet (3rd bullet copies macOS installer to the USB disk, which we don't want).
    • Download Clover 5107 or 5108 from the link in the Mini-Guide and follow instructions located there to install Clover to the USB flash disk.
    • This will create an EFI folder inside the EFI partition.
  10. Delete any kexts and drivers that might exist in the new CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and in the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
    • Empty the trash.
  11. Download ZIP file from the same Catalina Mini-Guide called Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip. Do not use the newer May 2020 Update - Catalina 10.15.4 Fresh Install.zip because it will prevent the system from booting. You will find 2 config files there:
    • config-Internal-GPU.plist
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist
  12. If you have an AMD GPU, copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections (only these two sections) from the Mojave config.plist into config-AMD-GPU.plist. Use a text editor like BBEdit or a Plist Editor such as ProperTree to copy those two sections.
    • Rename config-AMD-GPU.plist --> to --> config.plist
  13. If you only have the Intel iGPU, copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections (only these two sections) from the Mojave config.plist into config-Internal-GPU.plist. Use a text editor like BBEdit or a Plist Editor such as ProperTree to copy those two sections.
    • Rename config-Internal-GPU.plist --> to --> config.plist
  14. Follow remaining instructions in Step 1 of Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide for copying drivers, kexts, and ACPI files from the ZIP to the new CLOVER folder.
  15. Boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen and choosing the USB disk.
  16. At Clover Boot Menu, select the normal option to boot into macOS Mojave.
  17. Now attempt an in-place upgrade from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 from System Preferences --> Software Update.
  18. Each time the system reboots during installation, press F12 at BIOS splash screen and choose the USB disk.
    • This is critical.
    • Please remember it.
  19. At Clover Boot Menu whenever you find a boot option with the word "Install", select that option.
    • For example: Boot macOS Install from <name of Mojave disk>
Post-Installation:
  • As stated in the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide, copy EFI folder from USB flash disk to EFI partition of the internal Mojave SSD (which has now been upgraded to Catalina).
    • Delete the old EFI folder first and empty the trash.
  • If the name of your internal macOS SSD contains the word Mojave, you might want to rename it to Catalina.
    • But use Disk Utility to rename the disk.
    • This is because Catalina separates the System Folder and the User Folder into two separate logical volumes:
      • System Volume
      • User Volume -- this one is automatically given the suffix "- data"
    • Rename the disk as follows:
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.15.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.16.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 5.16.26 PM.png

Miscellaneous:

Last edited:
Have you applied thermal paste properly -- a pea-sized amount in the center of the die? Do CPU temperatures fluctuate wildly or stay well in the safe zone?

Yes, it's all good. Using a Nocuta heatsink, etc. Temps seem fine under load. I notice that when the freezing occurs, my graphics fans speed up though. I can't monitor the temps on this GPU though. It def seems to be graphics related. The few crash reports I've managed to see after rebooting reference a graphics issue.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried pretty much everything up to now. over the weekend I swapped out the power supply for a new one, some issues.

I hope you find Hackintosh peace with your new MoBo man. It’s hell working on an unstable system, we’ve all been there. I actually have a friend on a Windows10 system going through the exact same problem with you. We’ve narrowed down the problem to the CPU/MoBo in his case as well. Let us know how your new board turns out!

Yes, it's all good. Using a Nocuta heatsink etc, temps seem fine under load. I notice that when the freezing occurs, my graphics fans speed up though. I can't monitor the temps on this GPU though. It def seems to be graphics related. The few crash reports I've managed to see after rebooting reference a graphics issue.
If you suspect it's related to the AMD GPU, just remove the GPU and use on-board graphics.

I rebooted after a power kick. My Cover options disappeared, Boot Mojave is no longer there. SSD is showing in BIOS

@CaseySJ After some fight i have a dual boot hackintosh running catalina and windows10 ... everything is working fine except the 2 display port on the rx580( they stopped to work) ... is it normal? Before i was using it on mojave ... by the way thank you so much for your help :) :)

Last edited:
@CaseySJ After some fight i have a dual boot hackintosh running catalina and windows10 ... everything is working fine except the 2 display port on the rx580( they stopped to work) ... is it normal? Before i was using it on mojave ... by the way thank you so much for your help :) :)
I just connected my MSI Radeon RX 580 via both HDMI and DisplayPort at the same time (10.15.4) and both outputs are working. I'm using 1440p at 60Hz.

I just connected my MSI Radeon RX 580 via both HDMI and DisplayPort at the same time (10.15.4) and both outputs are working. I'm using 1440p at 60Hz.
Oh :( do u have some idea of what can be? It work on windows.. i use a displayport to hdmi connector that worked on mojave ... when i will finish the migrationiwill try to remove Agdpmod=pikera ... maybe it is the problem

Last edited:
Back