Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey everyone, Sorry for disturbing you.
I use a 970 Pro 512 Samsung about internal hard drive.

And i would like to know if 1To 2.5 disk can be taken for the Back up (for instance the half for partition and the half for the back up)

or if 500 Go 2.5 disk for the back up could be enough.

Thank you very much, have a good day
the size of your backup drive depends completely on how much disk space you are using on your MacOS drive.

also, it's not a good idea to create a backup on the same disk as your main system. one of the reasons to have a backup is in case your drive physically malfunctions. if your backup is on the same drive and it physically malfunctions, you won't be able to get to your backup either.

1Tb hard drives are getting pretty cheap. if you have an extra HD slot in your computer enclosure just put in a 3.5 inch HD and use that for backup.

Thank You !!
To put it another way: does the procedure "Unlocking MSR 0xE2" for replacing the previous one activate the NVRAM Native, is it better ?? (for new users)
May be it's not the same thing, even if Native NVRAM unlock MSR 0xE2, Unlocking MSR 0xE2 doesn't enable Native NVRAM ?
In this case why not favor the Native NVRAM procedure ?
Unlocking the MSR 0x02 register is only one step in enabling Native NVRAM. The procedures to unlock MSR 0x02 in UEFI BIOS are the same in both guides, although Casey has made it even easier to create the USB flash drive with the grub utility in the most recent guide.

Catalina 10.15.4 seems to have issues with emulated NVRAM, so enabling Native NVRAM is now required. The Mini-Guide for Catalina 10.15.4 has streamlined fresh installations by incorporating all the steps to enable Native NVRAM and skipping the configuration of emulated NVRAM (that was standard in the installation guides before Catalina 10.15.4).

So new hackintosh users and new/fresh installations should preferably use the Catalina 10.15.4 guide, as it provides the easiest and cleanest way to get macOS Catalina running on a Z390 Designare system!

Hi Bro
I found two SSDT files, which can display the thunder device tree without modifying ROM, but it is unstable. Can you improve it?
ASUS 390-a ASUS Thunder ex3 card
Since my machine is not really in a position that I can disassemble it to do the firmware flashing I decided to give your two SSDT files just to see if anything changed. I didn't see any effect to loading these two files, nothing positive and nothing negative, but no change at all. Just an FYI..

the size of your backup drive depends completely on how much disk space you are using on your MacOS drive.

also, it's not a good idea to create a backup on the same disk as your main system. one of the reasons to have a backup is in case your drive physically malfunctions. if your backup is on the same drive and it physically malfunctions, you won't be able to get to your backup either.

1Tb hard drives are getting pretty cheap. if you have an extra HD slot in your computer enclosure just put in a 3.5 inch HD and use that for backup.

Hi again. Sorry for my English. I meant that i'm using a NVME 512 GO SSD (970 PRO Samsung) for main Catalina internal drive.
I would like to know if it is possible to create the Back up of those 512 GO on an external SSD drive which contains up to 1TB ?
Do i have to create a partition size of 512 on it ? Or do i have to buy a dedicated 512 GO drive (those are quite expensive and more expensive than the 1TB one) ?
Or can i use the 1 TB ?

Thank you

@tanaca, @S1lla is absolutely correct. Also, sooner than later the flashing aspect will likely be in software.

Also @svandive

Please scroll back to page 1315 and read all the way up to the newest page to get a full understanding of how we all got here. You are referring to the Osy86 method that has sparked a whole lot of this.

At the bottom you'll see a link for Patching ACPI. Read away! Then re-read. It's fun after all.

However! If you'd like to keep trying that then you should add these two patches in Clover.

Comment: change RP17._INI to RP17.XINI for ICM disable
Find: 52503137 084C5452 5A00084F 42465A00 084C4D53 4C00084C 4E534C00 142A5F49 4E49
Replace: 52503137 084C5452 5A00084F 42465A00 084C4D53 4C00084C 4E534C00 142A5849 4E49

Comment: change _E17 to XE17
Find: 5f453137
Replace: 58453137

If your device is on a different RPxx then change it in the first block of the first patch. I believe this is for alpine ridge though and the GPE (E17) is for the GB Z390a.

Last edited:
Hi again. Sorry for my English. I meant that i'm using a NVME 512 GO SSD (970 PRO Samsung) for main Catalina internal drive.
I would like to know if it is possible to create the Back up of those 512 GO on an external SSD drive which contains up to 1TB ?
Do i have to create a partition size of 512 on it ? Or do i have to buy a dedicated 512 GO drive (those are quite expensive and more expensive than the 1TB one) ?
Or can i use the 1 TB ?

Thank you
The sizes of your Source and Destination disks can be different as long as the Destination has enough space for the actual amount of data stored in the Source. No need to create partitions on the destination unless you actually want to divide the destination disk for other purposes. Carbon Copy Cloner does a file-by-file backup instead of a "sector by sector" backup, so the destination will fill up slowly as more files are copied.

@CaseySJ

I've unlocked native nvram with your latest guide. (Allthough I never needed it, Catalina runs fine here with clover and ocquirks and your ssdt files (rx570 in headless mode)).

Is it necessary to remove the line ProtectCsmRegion from add the line ProtectSecreBoot = false in the OcQuirks.plist as you did? I get a warning in the bios screen at startup -> Setup.ocs No schema for ProtectSecureBoot at 8 index ! without it.

Greetings.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I've unlocked native nvram with your latest guide. (Allthough I never needed it, Catalina runs fine here with clover and ocquirks and your ssdt files (rx570 in headless mode)).

Is it necessary to remove the line ProtectCsmRegion from OcQuirks.plist as you did? I get a warning in the bios screen at startup -> Setup.ocs No schema for ProtectSecureBoot at 8 index ! without it.

Greetings.
  • Are you using OpenCore or Clover?
  • OcQuirks is only used in Clover in order to specify booter quirks for FwRuntimeServices. In OpenCore, those quirks are specified in the OpenCore config.plist.

hi I update to 10.15.4 every thing working fine expect when I shut down it is freezing,
I tried fix shutdown in clover configuration but didn't work,
any suggestions
  • Are you on Native NVRAM or are you using EmuVariableUefi?
  • If using EmuVariableUefi, are "rc" scripts installed?

Or can i use the 1 TB ?

Thank you
sorry for misunderstanding.
assuming you're using Carbon Copy Cloner or something like it, you can clone your 512 Catalina SSD to a 1TB external disk. you could also partition the external SSD to create 2 512Gb partitions and use one for your backup and use the other partition for another use.

Back