Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Designare
CPU
Graphics
Radeon VII
Good question:
  • If you initially used the Catalina Mini-Guide to install Catalina, then you're all set. Nothing more to do because all Hackintosh kexts are only installed in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  • If you upgraded to Catalina from Mojave, you might have Hackintosh kexts in /Library/Extensions. Those should now be deleted, then rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility, and copy the kexts from Catalina Mini-Guide (Zip file attached to that guide) into your CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Thank you!

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Awesome -- this is Gigabyte's own NVM 43 for an on-chip Titan Ridge controller! We'll send a patched version to you soon.

Was it difficult to read the on-board flash chip on your X299X Designare?
Nope, I only had trouble with placing the clip right on the chip, it's just next to the ram slots and the clip barely fits, after 5 trials it just went fine.

NOTE: The power button on the board did slightly lit when the clip was correctly placed on top.

Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
This is another reason I prefer the looooooong Mojave guide in Post #1 versus the little Mini-Guide for Catalina because the Mojave guide is transparent -- it makes you do all the little steps and gives at least some explanation for each step. But the Catalina Mini-Guide is more of a black box -- you don't really know what's under the hood.

If I recall correctly, Volvo once released a car where the hood (or bonnet) could only be opened by service technicians. The user only experienced the user-interface of the car, but the rest was a black box.

If all cars were like this, imagine the outcome...for every little problem or strange sound or warning sign the user would have to consult a technician. Users would be unable to be their own first responders; they would be unable to solve their own problems. And service technicians would be inundated with calls -- much like hospitals today being flooded with COVID-19 patients.

I feel that something of this type is happening as everyone takes the short cut to install Catalina from the Mini-Guide.
Thanks Casey, I had thought the preferred method was the Catalina mini-guide, but I see your point about using the Mojave guide. I do want to learn more about the inner workings of a hackintosh.

The upgrade to 10.15.4 seems to have worked. I'm just left with the install Mac OS entry on the clover boot screen. I believe luvlastcall has the same issue. When I run the terminal command you asked him to run ( ls -al /Volumes ) there are no entries called Mac OS. Any suggestions. As always, I really appreciate all the help you give to us noobs!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just updated to 10.15.4. First, updated to Clover 5107 (was 5103) then update the lilu,web and Apple Ale.
Only one long reboot after select install from reboot then with blind screen, not showing nothing on screen for 10 min.
After a reboot came on the normal boot sequence and update is completed.
All working as before...

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Nope, I only had trouble with placing the clip right on the chip, it's just next to the ram slots and the clip barely fits, after 5 trials it just went fine.

NOTE: The power button on the board did slightly lit when the clip was correctly placed on top.
You may try the attached modified firmware for the Gigabyte X299X Designare if you so choose. All disclaimers apply:
  • Flashing the chip incurs risk of damage.
  • The new firmware may not work at all.
  • You assume all responsibility / liability for the decision to flash the modified firmware.
We should always start by attempting 3 consecutive read attempts and making sure that all three checksums are identical (shasum <filename>). Then attempt to flash the chip.

If it's successful, read the chip once again just to be sure and compare checksum of the new file.

If everything is okay, perform a cold start (power cable removed or switch on PSU turned off for 10 seconds). On the first attempt, no Thunderbolt SSDT should be used.

Attachments

• Titan-Ridge-X299X-DSG-10G-Mod1-CaseySJ.bin.zip
    270.3 KB · Views: 48
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390 Thunderbolt 3
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Intel > Need version # > See Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
@CaseySJ

Do you think there is a motherboard asus with two or more TB3?