Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It's possible that the Windows disk also has an EFI partition, and you might have made change to that one instead of the one on the macOS SSD. Try this:
  • Run Clover Configurator, click Mount EFI on the left side, and post a screenshot.
View attachment 457074
I am fairly certain any change made was in the 970 EVO EFI. I am very careful not to mess with Windows EFI, because Windows are much more unstable and finicky. Fun fact when I upgraded from the 8700 to the 9900K, Windows stopped working, and I had to do a clean reinstall. I had done CMOS reset booted with one stick of RAM. I tried everything. Windows wouldn't boot. Thank God I don't rely on it. This macOS installation, which I have had since High Sierra, never failed to boot. I have also included screen shots of my Seagate hard drive EFI, and the Windows EFI which I had never mounted on Clover before today :p

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 7.33.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 7.48.05 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 7.46.37 AM.png

Hi,

I had no issues with upgrading to 10.15.4.
My config: OpenCore 0.5.6, updated kexts, core i9, 64GB 3200 Mhz DDR4, Radeon Vega 56.

It had to reboot twice (no manual interference was needed)

The instructions in Step 1, Bullet 4 of the Catalina Mini-Guide can be used at any time to update Clover.

This sounds as if the computer is not shutting down properly. Do you have any FireWire devices attached? Does the computer have any problem shutting down, rebooting, sleeping, or waking?

Hi Casey, thanks for your response. No I do not have any FireWire devices attached and do not appear to have any issues with shutting down and rebooting. I have not really tested sleeping and waking so I might test them out to see if I have any issue. It's not a big problem as my system appears to be working pretty perfect other than that. It may have also been some software issues as I have noticed that my Corsair iCue software is now loading when I reboot (I updated this to a newer version) whereas it wasn't previously.

In regards to my Clover update, I'll refer to the mini guide and hope this works.

As always, thanks for what you do :)

Hi, I follow this mini guide, when macOS installer start, I get this Message "An error occurred while preparing the installation, Try running this application again." Help please!​

32 G Ram
Clover v5107
RX 580

Thank You!

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.1 KB · Views: 63
  • S__21192706.jpg
    S__21192706.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The instructions in Step 1, Bullet 4 of the Catalina Mini-Guide can be used at any time to update Clover.

This sounds as if the computer is not shutting down properly. Do you have any FireWire devices attached? Does the computer have any problem shutting down, rebooting, sleeping, or waking?

Ok, I have just tried to update clover following the instructions listed and it failed.

Sorry to be a pain. I just tried updating Clover following the mini guide instructions, and the attached screenshot is what I get. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 6.07.03 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 6.07.03 pm.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 86
Alright! Up and running and most things working as they should after following this thread over the last two days. Only problem right now is audio, both system and through my UAD Apollo 16 MkII. Everything sounds bit crushed, like the sample rates between system and UAD driver are wonky, and on this last boot, after trying this:
Okay, great! I've had this issue before even when attaching Thunderbolt items to different machines: Macs, Hacks, Windows, etc. –It's a Thunderbolt memory problem. I'm assuming that you're not dual-booting your setup between Windows 10 and OS X. When your system/EFI is working, but the Apollo won't behave, do all of the following in sequence:

1. Shut down the Apollo and then everything else.
  2. Shut down the computer all the way and flip off the power supply switch at the back of the PC.
  3. Disconnect the AC adapter from the back of the Mk II or unplug the adapter from the wall, etc.
  4. Flip the computer's power supply switch to Off to drain the power supply. It takes ~1 minute.
  5. Press the On switch on the PC to make sure it's really dead.
  6. Unplug all Thunderbolt cables from the Apollo.
  7. Unplug the Thunderbolt cables from the Z390 Designare.
  8. Let everything sit dead for 10 minutes. Do not repower anything yet.
  9. Reconnect the Thunderbolt cable to the computer first.
  10. Reconnect the Thunderbolt cable to the Apollo second.
  11. Reconnect the Thunderbolt cables and devices as needed.
  12. Flip the computer's power supply switch to On. But do not power it up yet.
  13. Reconnect the AC adapter to the Apollo and flip the power switch to On.
  14. Flip on everything else for your setup that's not the computer. Count to five.
  15. Press the power switch on the computer to power it up: F12 as needed.

You may have to press F12 to get the right boot device loading. This should do it if you've solved that earlier EFI issue. Please share your EFI w/o serials if you're really getting hotplug to work. I have the same setup, but mine is the Apollo 8 Quad, Thunderbolt 2. Let me know how it goes.
I have no sound coming out of Apollo, even tho it is connected and everything seems like it should work, HALP!
Also, was a little confused about what frame buffer patching is, and whether it necessary when using an amd gpu?

Great guide btw, it’s amazing the amount of work you guys put into this stuff, cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 66
Trying to update to 10.15.4. Have updated clover, lilu, whatevergreen, and AppleALC. After the first reboot it continued for a while then failed with some message about Bless could set boot device property or something like that. I restarted and booted from the install volume and it then failed with "Mac OS could not be installed... The installer resources were not found.... Any ideas?

WHich Clover version have you got ?

Same problem faced by me but when I restarted the machine update wass successfully done and got into one more problem my clover looks like this and Install option is always there don't know how to get rid of it
Let's start by typing this in Terminal:
Code:
ls -al /Volumes
Then if you find one called Mac OS, type:
Code:
ls -al /Volumes/"Mac OS"
What do you see?

With so much issues with the update, I think I am going to hold it off indefinitely. There is nothing special feature that I think I must need to have. Too bad Apple won't release security fixes only.
As long as we make a backup in advance, ensure that no "Hackintosh" kext is installed in /Library/Extensions, and update to latest versions of Clover and acidanthera kexts (Lilu, WEG, AppleALC) then chances are pretty good that the update will succeed.

Hello. I'm posting some links to my unread posts regarding UAD Thunderbolt devices.
If you own a UAD Thunderbolt device with a power switch, this is for you.

This link.

And this link.

And if you think you have "Hot Swap" working, here is the tried and true test for that, which can be demonstrated on Windows machines as well as genuine Macs: (This Link.)

Just to double-check your work.
I will link these to Post #1 tomorrow morning in a section for UAD tips and troubleshooting.
The section Contributed Files and Tips has been extended:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 2.04.44 AM.png

Back