Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
new chip, new try... I used padding method to get the Firmware to the needed Size :)
Windows just bricked my Chip...

View attachment 455923
Did you use a Thunderbolt Firmware Updater utility in Windows? If so, does the firmware file need to be of a certain size?

The screenshot shows two Receptacle 1s and two Receptacle 2s. This usually occurs when the Thunderbolt Bus ID is not the same between ThunderboltDROM (byte #2) and ThunderboltConfig (byte #1).
@CaseySJ : No, there are no guides out there but I am very familiar with such type of boards.
If you want I can write an guide here on tonymac for it, just need some time...
At the moment some other stuff is more important but I would do that as a thank you for all the work you guys did here for us.
This guide can be very helpful for those looking to build an equal-powered alternative to the new Mac Pro.

Motherboard
Asus Dominus Extreme
CPU
3175X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
@CaseySJ Under Windows I used the ch341A tool to flash the firmware as it was in the first try but that only bricked the chip and I couldn't resurrect it.
I soldered a new one and just padded the bin until it had the right size and flashed it afterwards in MacOS via Flashrom.
I don't think that it would work to flash it via the standard Windows tool since the file must be verified otherwise it won't work.

The screenshot was made without an SSDT in the EFI Folder and also without an AIC Cable connected,
will try to apply something asap and check how it works then.

If you want you can send me something testwise.

Motherboard
Mac OS
CPU
INTEL G4600
Graphics
AMD RX470
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is OOB? Do you use any ssdt?

Hello @johnny7874209,

Have you tested the following:
  • Thunderbolt device connection to Port 1?
  • Thunderbolt device connection to Port 2?
  • USB-C device connection to Port 1?
  • USB-C device connection to Port 2?
  • Hot plug capability on both Port 1 and Port 2?

Sorry, I have to make a correction. The original firmware from iMac19,1 should go with SSDT, and its situation is the same as NVM23.

My motherboard: H170m-D3H
  • Thunderbolt device connection to Port 1: Good
  • Thunderbolt device connection to Port 2: Good
  • USB-C device connection to Port 1: boot with devices plugged
  • USB-C device connection to Port 2: boot with devices plugged
  • Hot plug capability on both Port 1 and Port 2:Good

Update:

I found a strange thing! If the card is flashed firmware from BlackmagicDesign eGPU, the USB-C hotplug works normally.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Hello!

I flashed original Thunderbolt 3 firmware from iMac 19.1 to my GC-TITAN RIDGE, and now it works perfectly!

Besides, I also tested BlackmagicDesign eGPU firmware on GC-TITAN RIDGE. It seems like a miracle that the card can be recognized by my MacBook Pro! Maybe DIY an eGPU is feasible.

View attachment 455903
Hi @johnny7874209

Could you send us your screenshot of thunderbolt system report with GC-Titan-ridge flashed with Apple firmware and related IOReg IOThunderboltPort1 screenshot ;) ?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guys, I just want to know this clearly, as it doesn't come accross easily here. Do Z390 Designare owners need to hardware flash the Winbond chip in order to get TB3 working properly?
Is there a solution without hardware flashing it?

Motherboard
Asus Dominus Extreme
CPU
3175X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
@Elias64Fr

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-21 um 13.02.24.png

Motherboard
Mac OS
CPU
INTEL G4600
Graphics
AMD RX470
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @johnny7874209

Could you send us your screenshot of thunderbolt system report with GC-Titan-ridge flashed with Apple firmware and related IOReg IOThunderboltPort1 screenshot ;) ?

No problem. Here you are!

As you can see in the picture, the firmware version is "47.1". That is the latest Thunderbolt 3 firmware for iMac19,1.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 5.02.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 5.02.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 5.02.44 AM.png

Attachments

• Jason's iMac.ioreg
    2.7 MB · Views: 55

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guys, I just want to know this clearly, as it doesn't come accross easily here. Do Z390 Designare owners need to hardware flash the Winbond chip in order to get TB3 working properly?
Is there a solution without hardware flashing it?
At this time yes we need to use an external flasher. We're looking into the possibility of using Linux, but that may take a while.

Motherboard
Mac OS
CPU
INTEL G4600
Graphics
AMD RX470
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
new chip, new try... I used padding method to get the Firmware to the needed Size :)
Windows just bricked my Chip...

View attachment 455923

@CaseySJ : No, there are no guides out there but I am very familiar with such type of boards.
If you want I can write an guide here on tonymac for it, just need some time...
At the moment some other stuff is more important but I would do that as a thank you for all the work you guys did here for us.

Without any SSDT and AIC Connector bridged.

View attachment 455925

@CaseySJ Padded Firmware which was shown in the pictures attached.

I'm so sorry for that. I forgot to tell you the firmware should still go with SSDT.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
At this time yes we need to use an external flasher. We're looking into the possibility of using Linux, but that may take a while.
Awesome, thanks Casey! I want to do this myself too, I just can't decide if I want to flash it with my RPi3 or just buy a CH341A flasher. But now I see that @S1lla bricked his motherboard and I wouldn't want this to happen to mine.