Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Unique ID is not UID in that case, it's Domain UUID. and it's not in the DROM section.
For example this is mine masked:
* domain0 c4010000-0070-7X1e-0X7a-bX12X0000X22
|- bootacl: 0/16
`- security: none

I'm sure every Designare board will be different. It seems to be required to implement Thunderbolt security features.

Is this all bypassed when our Bios is set to No Security or are these separate things?

Hi guys. Should iMessage work out of the box after the installation from this guide or I need to perform the steps from this "fix iMessase" guide? I'm getting the "activation error" message (screenshot is attached).
Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 5.52.16 PM.png

Hi guys. Should iMessage work out of the box after the installation from this guide or I need to perform the steps from this "fix iMessase" guide? I'm getting the "activation error" message (screenshot is attached).
View attachment 455414
It should work out of the box, but after you've signed in to iCloud. Also verify that your Serial Number is unique by entering it on Apple website here. If the site says "Invalid Serial Number" then you are okay.

I'm currently reinstalling Catalina on a spare SSD for a side project so I'll test Messages and FaceTime soon. Note that the app is called Messages in macOS, not iMessage.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 3.07.52 PM.png

Is this all bypassed when our Bios is set to No Security or are these separate things?
Unique ID is used for other security modes so that the controller can identify trusted devices. So I think it's a lot harder to change or spoof.

No Security allows any thunderbolt device to connect and that facilitates DMA attacks which could allow system memory read and write.

I don't know if other security modes would be supported on macOS with patched firmware...

Weird. Do you still get the slow boot too?
No slow boot, regular boot time, nothing shows up for the GC-Titan Ridge on the modded NVM43. REflash to NVM23, shows up, populates and with the DROM that is copied from an apple device it populates as correctly as we have gotten so far.

log show --last boot | grep Thunderbolt Output at the moment @CaseySJ
I'm surprised there's no mention of ThunderboltNHI let alone IOThunderboltFamily. Is this from your Gigabyte X299? Is it Catalina 10.15.3?

Yes, Catalina 10.15.3 and X299 Designare EX

It should work out of the box, but after you've signed in to iCloud. Also verify that your Serial Number is unique by entering it on Apple website here. If the site says "Invalid Serial Number" then you are okay.
I was getting "Invalid Serial Number" after the installation, however, after checking just now it said "Valid". I generated a new one in Clover Configurator (in my Catalina EFI partition). Is that enough or I need to sign out everywhere, since technically I will be using a "new" device with new serial number?

I was getting "Invalid Serial Number" after the installation, however, after checking just now it said "Valid". I generated a new one in Clover Configurator (in my Catalina EFI partition). Is that enough or I need to sign out everywhere, since technically I will be using a "new" device with new serial number?
First delete this entry from your Apple Account:
  • System Preferences --> Apple ID (top right)
  • Then you'll see a list of registered devices along the lower left.
  • Find this entry and delete it.
Then sign out of iCloud. Reboot. Sign back into iCloud (with new serial number).

Last edited:
First delete this entry from you Apple Account:
  • System Preferences --> Apple ID (top right)
  • Then you'll see a list of registered devices along the lower left.
  • Find this entry and delete it.
Then sign out of iCloud. Reboot. Sign back into iCloud (with new serial number).
I did that and after rebooting I'm prompted to contact customer support.
Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 6.59.43 PM.png

Back