Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

B16.0816.1 for the x99 Designare. There is a xml file with the model and we may need to complete it.
The original .bin file is a 288 ko file.
I have tried in all possible ways on x99 with intel flash tool and could not be successful. Please if you can solve it, keep me informed please. thanks !!

Last edited:
BUT.. like said, to have thunderbolt operating under windows, you have to connect a thunderbolt device on macOS then reboot to Windows .. don't have tried anymore (if simple reboot without device is sufficient , if flashing process will successfully end).
We will be sure when someone will do it.

So if If one flashes the TB on the z390 for Mac use, Windows TB will no longer work?

The following applies to everyone:

Just because many of us seem excited -- perhaps even maniacally so -- about activating Thunderbolt Bus it does not mean that this is necessary, wise or recommended for most users.

In general, if your system is working fine as-is, there is really no need to change it. We know that wanting is different from needing. So please decide for yourself.

As hackers or enthusiasts, we often prioritize want over need. But that's just us. :)

I've been following along (quite excitedly), but maybe answering the following questions could really help me and others (i.e. those with the SSDTs etc. on the OpenCore mini-guide) decide to go as far as flashing new firmware:
  1. What capabilities are enabled? I'm especially interested in an external GPU that I could easily move between my home and work machines, but I don't have one to test on, and I have gotten the sense that this is one of the things that does not work with the standard build guide. Seems like networking to other macs is another thing, but I'd love to hear what else you all have in mind.
  2. Are there any differences in terms of thunderbolt between the Clover and OpenCore builds?
  3. For those of us with free time and a raspberry pi and some technical skill and interest, would it be useful (for more logs etc. for development and debugging) for us to follow the micro-guide and provide feedback?

I think we've (temporarily) put this on hold for GC-Titan Ridge. However, let's check with @maleorderbride on status of NVM 43...
Has anyone gotten that modded NVM43 to work/show up at all? I have only had success with NVM23 variations.

I don't think I'm allowed to post the link here but there's a wonderful application called Kext and Bootloader Updater by MacPato. Would strongly suggest it for things like this. Give it a google.

This updater tool is awesome. Though it may be of interest for those with the hardware in this thread, updating broke audio via displayport for me. I have no clue why, or if anything else could have done it. I tried just replacing AppleALC with my old one (the one from the OC mini-guide), and that didn't work. I'll do more kext replacements today to see if that fixes it.

If anyone else found this problem and its solution, please let me know!

Has anyone gotten that modded NVM43 to work/show up at all? I have only had success with NVM23 variations.

Do the nodes and all that load but no device attaches or do you get complete nada?

If the nodes do show up, then try using the SSDT attached. If that makes it work then you need need to replace the TBROM section of the current SSDTs. This was the path I had to take.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    8 KB · Views: 87
I've been following along (quite excitedly), but maybe answering the following questions could really help me and others (i.e. those with the SSDTs etc. on the OpenCore mini-guide) decide to go as far as flashing new firmware:
  1. What capabilities are enabled? I'm especially interested in an external GPU that I could easily move between my home and work machines, but I don't have one to test on, and I have gotten the sense that this is one of the things that does not work with the standard build guide. Seems like networking to other macs is another thing, but I'd love to hear what else you all have in mind.
  2. Are there any differences in terms of thunderbolt between the Clover and OpenCore builds?
  3. For those of us with free time and a raspberry pi and some technical skill and interest, would it be useful (for more logs etc. for development and debugging) for us to follow the micro-guide and provide feedback?
Q1:
  • eGPUs work best when Thunderbolt Bus is activated. Without Thunderbolt Bus we have to enable CSM Support and remove the PCI-Thunderbolt property from UPSB in the Thunderbolt SSDT. Hot plug will be turned off. But with Thunderbolt Bus, eGPUs work beautifully with no restrictions.
  • My OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock's Ejector app started working today for the first time, all because of Thunderbolt Bus. Thunderbolt bus can improve compatibility with wider set of TB3 devices.
  • We discovered yesterday and today that Target Disk Mode and Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge are finally working as well. (Real Mac needs to be the target in Target Disk Mode.)
Q2:
  • No difference between Clover and OpenCore.
Q3:
  • Yes it would be very helpful for others to try the procedure and provide their feedback. It would be even better if they take some photographs and/or careful notes to help improve the procedure for others.

Back