Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hm. I better get an extra TB card then. Can't find the guide, btw. Page 1 of this thread is, uhm, unwieldy?

It's right after the notes in red at the top. They're "spoilers."

I am strapped for cash, so I need to resell my boards after 2-3 years as PC mobo's before I can afford a new one. I would have to undo the flashing. Mwa.

I am strapped for cash, so I need to resell my boards after 2-3 years as PC mobo's before I can afford a new one. I would have to undo the flashing. Mwa.
The following applies to everyone:

Just because many of us seem excited -- perhaps even maniacally so -- about activating Thunderbolt Bus it does not mean that this is necessary, wise or recommended for most users.

In general, if your system is working fine as-is, there is really no need to change it. We know that wanting is different from needing. So please decide for yourself.

As hackers or enthusiasts, we often prioritize want over need. But that's just us. :)

Last edited:
So it's not possbile at all to do a software flash like BIOS? What if Gigabyte wants to update it?
I believe some folks tried using Intel's Thunderbolt firmware updater in Windows, but it didn't like our modified firmware. There's probably some proprietary validation method being used.

@zipb
If you want to flash back to the original firmware, You just need to do this on Windows:mrgreen: with Gigabyte flashing tool.

I believe some folks tried using Intel's Thunderbolt firmware updater in Windows, but it didn't like our modified firmware. There's probably some proprietary validation method being used.
Is the firmware unique for every motherboard? could it be fully backed up using software from Windows or Linux?

That's a very good point!
BUT.. like said, to have thunderbolt operating under windows, you have to connect a thunderbolt device on macOS then reboot to Windows .. don't have tried anymore (if simple reboot without device is sufficient , if flashing process will successfully end).
We will be sure when someone will do it.

As hackers or enthusiasts, we often prioritize want over need. But that's just us. :)

Yea I am having a hard time with this one and not running out and buying the designare board right now with the volatility with the economy. I had two clients push off two large houses till after this passes, and that is a large chunk of cash that is in limbo right now. So for the next few months I have to be frugal or sell some old hardware... IS there a good place to sell old hardware that is not eBay?

Is the firmware unique for every motherboard? could it be fully backed up using software from Windows or Linux?
Nope, unique for each motherboard model for normal operating. Verifying process is done by flashing tool with sig for file integrity and by compare motherboard model.

Back