Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Designare Z390 has been updated for single-pass DROM setup.

I may have missed a couple of days of posts..
How are you modifying the Thunderbolt DROM?
Should that be included in the mini-guide or is that too complicated to include?

Nevermind.. I'm a moron and didnt read the guide properly.
Looks like the info just goes into the SSDT. Sorry 'bout that

• We've seen that Target Disk Mode is possible when a real Mac is the "target" and the Hackintosh connects to it.
  • Even though the reverse (setting Hack as "target") is not expected to work, I've asked @augustopaulo to try it anyway. Then we can be certain.
Yep, no dice!

Obviously, my Z390 Aorus Xtreme just boots normally into MacOS...

The reverse way won't work because PCs don't have the Apple EFI.

CRC32_C is only needed for pcie cards? Did I understood it correctly?

Completely understand; my brother has been temporarily assigned to work in ER/ICU. This is the new global 9-11.

Let's clarify the problem:
  • After installing the Windows NVMe in top M2M slot, you were able to select the option to boot macOS, but it resulted in "++++++++++++", which often means memory allocation error. Reseting CMOS is the first step. If this doesn't work, we examine the CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder and possibly switch to a different memory driver.
  • Because you enabled NVRAM in the past, it is necessary to do oneof the following:
    1. Unlock MSR 0xE2 once again.
    2. Enable the checkboxes for KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM in Clover Configurator --> Kernel & Kext Patches.
  • The best long-term option is #1 (unlock MSR), but option #2 is viable for the short term.
  • To unlock MSR:
    • Are you using the same USB disk as you used before?
    • Does the USB disk contain an EFI partition? Can you mount that partition and check whether it contains an EFI/BOOT folder?
Yes thats right. But if i can remember in the past there was 2 boot options in the clover Bootloader : Boot on Mac Os and Boot on Mac OS EFI. That last one doenst appear.

The USB Disk is another one. But I formated with my MacBookPro and checked the setup and the Folders inside the EFI partition which were the right one.

how can i Access to the Catalina SSD folder to change the drivers inside the folder ?
Thank you very much

@jleahy2 You mentioned that "It seemed to work well when it was running ...". Does that mean that initially it was working and suddenly you started having problems? If so what sort of problems did you get? Like crashes out of nowhere?

I just meant I saw no issues in Windows or OSX when I was using stuff, aside from random hard lock-ups. It would sometimes work for days at a time without problems, other times it would hard-lock several times a day. The lock-ups seemed to be very random, and completely independent of what I was doing, or the OS. I could be sitting at the desktop and hard-lock, other times playing something graphically intensive like RDR2 with the settings cranked way up in Windows and be fine, then the next day, have the same game/settings cause problems over and over. It made no sense. It did this from day 1 until I returned it.

Given my beefy power supply (Seasonic 1000w), nearly all new hardware otherwise, clean install, and the seer number of people who run them without issue - I strongly suspect I simply had a some sort of issue with the card itself as it exhibited the same problem on my prior build too.

Another benefit of Thunderbolt Bus activation:
  • The OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 dock has a utility to safely eject all connected disks in one step.
  • This is similar to macOS's built-in eGPU Ejector.
  • This OWC Dock Ejector never worked in the past -- because Thunderbolt Bus was not active.
  • Today I see this!
Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 10.11.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-18 at 10.11.16 AM.png

CRC32_C is only needed for pcie cards? Did I understood it correctly?
There are two sections in the Thunderbolt DROM:
  • A UID section that should be unique for each user.
  • A CONFIG section that is always the same for all users of a particular motherboard or add-in-card that contains a Thunderbolt controller.
Fortunately:
  • The UID section contains its own single-byte CRC-8 checksum that we can calculate using the online CRC calculator.
  • The CONFIG section that contains its own 4-byte CRC32_C checksum that is always the same for all users of a particular motherboard or add-in-card that contains a Thunderbolt controller.
So in order to modify the Thunderbolt DROM for ourselves:
  • We only change the UID section and add the correct CRC-8.
  • This is explained in the Micro-Guide.
However:
  • If you have a different motherboard with a built-in Thunderbolt controller, or if you have an add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge or Asus Thunderbolt EX3 or ASRock Thunderbolt AIC, it will have a different CONFIG section compared to the Designare Z390.
  • But every GC-Alpine Ridge will have the same CONFIG section (different from all other makes/models).
  • And every GC-Titan Ridge will have the same CONFIG section (different from all other makes/models).
  • So one person can modify the CONFIG section and then everyone can add their own UID section on top of it.

I am using the XFX Radeon VII. I was a bit weary, as I've heard some really bad things about compatibility with XFX products on Hackintoshes, but I've had zero issues since swapping over to this card. In my research, *all* the Radeon VII's are reference cards, so they should all function the same. I'm shocked at the price differences between brands, if this is truly the case.

Worst case scenario, I was expecting to try flashing a different manufacturer's BIOS to this card, OR use Clover to inject it if there were any issues. However, the card was working flawlessly for me on Catalina. I have since reinstalled and downgraded to Mojave to get a bit more stable/compatible environment for audio production though and again, no issues using it on 10.14.6.

@jleahy2 You mentioned trying flashing different BIOS. What did you have in mind? Flashing e.g. BIOS from the Sapphire Radeon VII??
And the other thing that caught my attention is the Clover injection! Have you ever tried that before? I am really curious as to how someone can use this method in order to fix graphics card problems!
To be honest I'm seriously thinking going the XFX Radeon VII way but at the same time I'm afraid as to what I'll be facing if things don't work out.

Yes thats right. But if i can remember in the past there was 2 boot options in the clover Bootloader : Boot on Mac Os and Boot on Mac OS EFI. That last one doenst appear.

The USB Disk is another one. But I formated with my MacBookPro and checked the setup and the Folders inside the EFI partition which were the right one.

how can i Access to the Catalina SSD folder to change the drivers inside the folder ?
Thank you very much
In Clover Boot Menu you should only see:
  • Boot macOS Catalina from <name of internal disk>
  • Boot macOS Recovery from <name of internal disk>
But if a USB install disk is also inserted, then additional option should appear:
  • Boot Install macOS from <name of USB disk>
On the other hand, if you insert the USB disk for unlocking MSR 0xE2, you would press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen to boot from the USB. It will take you directly to the grub command prompt.

For now, try this:
  • Insert USB Install disk.
  • Press F12 at BIOS Splash screen to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu (not the Clover Boot Menu).
  • Select the USB Flash Disk.
  • Now Clover Boot Menu will appear.
  • What boot options do you see?

Back