Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Different FakeSMC
UniBeast and MultiBeast install a complete set of SMC (System Management Controller) kexts that allow macOS to interface with various motherboard devices and ports. FakeSMC and its associated Sensor kexts are also used for monitoring temperatures, clock frequencies, and other parameters. However, the current version of FakeSMC does not adequately support the ITE IT87x LPC chip in the Designare Z390 and most other Gigabyte motherboards. As a result, CPU voltage and fan speeds are not monitored. Applications such as HWMonitor and iStat Menus therefore do not show voltages and fan RPM.

Fortunately, the latest VirtualSMC, which is a Lilu plug-in like AppleALC and WhateverGreen, does report CPU voltage and fan RPM on this motherboard. VirtualSMC requires VirtualSMC.efi and three companion kexts (SMCSuperIO.kext, SMCLightSensor.kext, SMCProcessor.kext). If you wish to experiment with this as an alternative to FakeSMC, please see the preliminary mini-guide. This is still being evaluated so it is not currently recommended for widespread use.

Update 19 July 2019: VirtualSMC 1.0.6 (and newer) is showing very good results. Here's an updated quick-guide to replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1984173

I followed these steps for VirtualSMC and got general system sluggishness. WiFi networks wound't show up and rebooting took a long time, so I reverted. Have you heard similar reports? I used VirtualSMC release 1.0.9

Also, I get some sensor reading using regular FakeSMC:
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 19.05.54.png

Hi @CaseySJ,

What do you think about this :headbang: :

Capture d’écran 2020-03-14 à 22.41.32.png

This the Z390 Designare firmware patched with few bytes (less than 10) by using OSY86 tbpatch terminal app .. EGPU and XHC2 devices are fully operating on full thunderbolt tree .. without any add-on SSDT.. but just PXSX property :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ,

View attachment 454541

This the Z390 Designare firmware patched with few bytes (less than 10) by using OSY86 tbpatch terminal app .. EGPU and XHC2 devices are fully operating on full thunderbolt tree .. without any add-on SSDT.. but just PXSX property :headbang::headbang::headbang:
This is awesome!! The trick is to first activate Thunderbolt Bus using the custom TbtOnPch SSDT, then run tbpatch, and finally remove the TbtOnPch SSDT, but inject PCI-Thunderbolt = 0x01 on RP05.PXSX.

Devil in the details! :)

I'm still in the process of recovering from an EFI folder crash. Will attempt this procedure soon!

I assume you're in Italy so first of all we hope you're all coping as well as possible with the national lockdown. We're facing increasingly tighter restrictions in Silicon Valley. Apple has closed all of its stores around the world except for those in China.

Reading the on-board flash chip might be difficult. I've been trying this morning without success, but will check with Elias to see what I'm doing wrong. This is one of the main reasons I've not publicly released the modified Designare firmware -- because reading/writing to the Designare SPI Flash ROM chip is still proving difficult. So a little more effort is needed before I can create a reliable procedure/mini-guide.

Hi @CasseySJ.

I'm just about to see if I can read the firmware, just removing MB from case ATM. I have the trusty RPi and if needed will get my logic analyzer out. :) I'm in Oz, so have time difference.

Hi @CasseySJ.

I'm just about to see if I can read the firmware, just removing MB from case ATM. I have the trusty RPi and if needed will get my logic analyzer out. :) I'm in Oz, so have time difference.
Hello @jb007,

That would be awesome! But be aware that this is very very tricky. Apply the clip very gently.

This is awesome!! The trick is to first activate Thunderbolt Bus using the custom TbtOnPch SSDT, then run tbpatch, and finally remove the TbtOnPch SSDT, but inject PCI-Thunderbolt = 0x01 on RP05.PXSX.

Devil in the details! :)

I'm still in the process of recovering from an EFI folder crash. Will attempt this procedure soon!
@CaseySJ

I have just make some tests and :
  1. Hotplug is functional with Thunderbolt device (EGPU here) on 2 ports
  2. Hotplug is functional with USB-C device (UGreen External disk USB 3,1 gen 2 with included SSD) on 2 ports
  3. Sleep/Wake is functional with Thunderbolt device and USB-C
  4. Cold boot is functional with both Thunderbolt device and USB-C (and without !)
  5. Warm boot is partially functional .. sometimes I have a black screen but OS is operationnal (I suspect that Lilu and/or Whatevergreen kext files attach properties and GFX0 to the eGPU... to be clarified)
  6. All without Thunderbolt SSDT add-on file !
  7. On Windows 10, only USB-C device is functional :mrgreen:... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's all !! :) ...:p

UPDATE:
  • Display port output is functional on 2 ports

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I have just make some tests and :
  1. Hotplug is functional with Thunderbolt device (EGPU here) on 2 ports
  2. Hotplug is functional with USB-C device (UGreen External disk USB 3,1 gen 2 with included SSD) on 2 ports
  3. Sleep/Wake is functional with Thunderbolt device and USB-C
  4. Cold boot is functional with both Thunderbolt device and USB-C (and without !)
  5. Warm boot is partially functional .. sometimes I have a black screen but OS is operationnal (I suspect that Lilu and/or Whatevergreen kext files attach properties and GFX0 to the eGPU... to be clarified)
  6. All without Thunderbolt SSDT add-on file !
  7. On Windows 10, only USB-C device is functional :mrgreen:... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's all !! :)

Any chance you have a real Mac you can test TB <---> TB connection?

Hi @CaseySJ,

View attachment 454541

Less than 10 bytes of patching???!!!

Back